Feeding tube discharge

debberry64
debberry64 Member Posts: 3 *
edited September 2022 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

My husband had a cap come off the Lopez Vale today, which happens from time to time, usually the discharge is the color of formula but today was brown. He hadn't had his breakfast yet, was taking meds with a red bull. I'm just concerned because I haven't noticed brown contents from the tube before. He has a low grade fever, no redness at the site or discharge, no vomiting or nausea. Do you think it's just normal stomach content color cause he hadn't eaten yet?

Comments

• debberry64

Lopez valve...

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member

Hello, Deb, and welcome to the forum. Maybe you could provide some details such as did your husband have cancer treatment and whether is he in the recovery process etc. Is the low-grade fever normal for him or has it just started with this color discharge? And just wondering unless the cap comes off do you normally see the color through a clear tube such as folks on here have G-tubes and we can see the color as you get some migration of fluid back from the stomach until we flush it back through? Everything we eat turns brown eventually as the stomach acids decompose it so this is probably a partially processed color. If any of this seems truly out of the ordinary contact your care team they will know if this is unusual.

Wishing You the Best

Take Care God Bless-Russ

• debberry64

Yes, he head stage four throat cancer, tumor, tongue, 14 lymph nodes, epiglottis were removed in Jan 2020. He's been on a feeding tube ever since. Our Dr agreed with your comment. He's lost multiple teeth and had a hole developed under his chin 2 yrs post radiation and chemo treatments. He's not able to swallow even saliva and has to suction his throat almost hourly if not more often. Some nights he can't sleep at all with the post nasal drainage and suctioning. It's not a great quality of life, but we try to stay positive.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited September 2022 #5

My goodness dear lady your husband has certainly been through a lot and is continuing to deal with more than anyone should have to deal with. I admire your husband and you for sharing your situation and your strength must be plentiful. I hope you folks can garner some positives each day. I will pray for you folks also. Stick with us here on the forum as I am sure you have much to share that may help others.

Wishing You the Best

Take Care God Bless-Russ