Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma - Stage 1

Options
lpennypaw
lpennypaw Member Posts: 1 Member
edited June 2022 in Thyroid Cancer #1

I had a total thyroidectomy in March 2019 followed by 1-131 ablation therapy in June 2019. I was started on Levothyroxine the day after my thyroidectomy. Since then I am constantly tired and have sleep problems, irritable, constant brain fog, day/night sweats/hot flashes (where I used to be cold all the time), sensitivity to heat as well, and weight gain of around 50 lbs that I cannot seem to lose no matter what I do. I was in the 130lb range prior to surgery. My doc seems to blow me off when I try to discuss these issues with him and say I am premenopausal, which labs show those hormone levels are in the normal range as well. My question is what has worked for everyone else to lose this weight and feel better? My Thyroglobulin Antibodies are in the "normal" range. Has anyone tried Natural Thyroid (Armour) or Liotrix? Any and all help/advice would be greatly appreciated as I am tired of feeling tired all the time.

Comments

• Still Surviving
    Still Surviving Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I have been on one type of replacement hormone for almost 60 years now and they all have their pros and cons, none is perfect. I started back in 1963 when I was 6 years led after having my thyroid and a couple lymph nodes removed, first with Proloid, then Synthroid and now Levothyroxine. Dosages have been anywhere between 125 to 175 mcg, currently at 150mcg. The feeling of tiredness has increased as I get older but I manage it with a good nights sleep and exercise. The occasional nap never hurts. The best device I can offer is to find the best endocrinologist you can who doesn’t treat you as a science experiment and to also give yourself time to adjust to the medicine. Take it religiously every day on an empty stomach with a glass of water at least 30 minutes to so it can be absorbed properly. This is important to even out the effectiveness of the medicine on your system.