Uterine Cancer

tvargas
tvargas Member Posts: 7 Member
edited August 2022 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

I am new here and so overwhelmed right now. I have uterine cancer that has spread to cervix and is aggressive. Theu cannot confirm 100% but do believe it is in my lymph nodes. My tumors are too big and surgery is not an option. I ha e to do chemo first to try to shrink tumors but still not sure surgery can be done. I'm a Stage 3C. I'm so scared and the waiting to get my port and start chemo is scary. I just dont know what to expect here. Anyone have thoughts or words of support to get me through? Feeling lost

Comments

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member

I’m sorry that you’ve had to find this site, but glad that you did early in your treatment process. Other women here have had to have chemo before surgery, so even though it’s not as common as the reverse, it does happen.

Have you had any genetic testing done yet? While they may not be able to test the tumor itself at this time, genetic testing may indicate if you’ve inherited a particular mutation that may make immunotherapy an option in addition to chemo. Introducing immunotherapy during initial treatment is becoming more common, although not done in every case.

But know that conventional chemo can also work, even for aggressive cancers like I had and that you have. Once you know the particulars of the chemo treatment you’ll be receiving, come back and let us know. Except for those with the earliest stage of cancer, the rest of the women here normally had chemo and can share their experiences with it.

• tvargas

Thank you so much for the words. I go Thursday to have my port implanted. I go today for Chemo teaching and will find out what Chemo treatment I will have. They will be doing a genetic testing as well. I will keep ypu posted as I find out more. Again thanks for responding amd helping me understand and get through this.

• cmb

Good to hear that you'll be getting genetic testing. I didn't know what to expect from the port insertion process, but I found it very easy. It did feel strange to have the port in for the first few weeks, but I was glad I had it during chemo as it made it much easier to go to the bathroom and just move around in general during treatments. Plus it spared the veins in my hands/arms.

• tvargas

Found out I am having carbo taxol as my chemo treatment. Just went through the chemo teaching process. It is all a little scary still and not sure what to expect. Thanks again for reaching out

• cmb

Paclitaxel/Carboplatin are the most common initial chemo treatments women here receive. They’re considered to be well-tolerated by most women, with fewer side effects that other chemo types. But having said that, chemo does impact each of us differently.

I did okay with those two drugs. My main side effects were leg pains that started on the third day after treatment. Others have experienced the same thing so have Claritin (not Claritan D) at hand, just in case.

Other side effects can be diarrhea (which I had) or constipation that many others had. An extra heavy dose of Imodium okayed by my oncologist helped control the diarrhea for me. Women with constipation often took probiotics.

You may also find your sense of smell and taste are different. While I love coffee, I didn’t like the smell or taste during chemo. If something didn’t smell or taste right to me, I didn’t eat/drink it as I didn’t want to develop an aversion to it later.

Fatigue is common, although I was able to work part-time when taking carbo/taxol. I also did the free exercise classes for cancer patients/survivors at my treatment center during this period.

There are a lot of comments from others’ about their experiences with this chemo regimen that you can read. See the tips for searching this site at https://csn.cancer.org/discussion/325013/searching-this-site-with-examples#latest

Note, however, the date the comments were made. Posting a question to an old comment makes it hard for others to respond as many of those women have moved on from the Board since that time. Recent discussions, or a brand new thread you start yourself, will usually elicit better responses.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member

tvargas, it is very overwhelming and scary - you are feelings are completely normal. cmb has been so helpful, so I wanted to add my support for you. Please take a breath and start working the plan. Hugs dear one. It is a lot at once and you are not alone.

• tvargas

Thank you so much. Im so glad I found this site to express myself and with people who understand what I am going through. It's such a relief and I am so thankful for everyone's words of encouragement.

• tvargas

Thank you. All this information is such a relief.

• thatblondegirl
    thatblondegirl Member Posts: 381 Member

Hello, tvargas

I echo my friends information and support! It’s all very scary! You will be able to relax a little after your first infusion. For me, the unknown adds a lot to the scary!

We are happy to help get you through this!

• salonmax
    salonmax Member Posts: 3 *

I am one year cancer free. I had chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Stay positive and always talk to people about it . Prayers 🙏 It is a long journey but life is worth fighting for it

Any time you feel scare or worry text me.

• Ottobar
    Ottobar Member Posts: 7 Member

Good Morning;

I had my yearly pap smear 12 days ago and the results came back abnormal. My gyn had me in for a

ultrasound and she did a biopsy. The results of the biopsy came back yesterday: it is uterine cancer and the grade for the cells is a 3. I know that a grade 1 or 2 is better! I have an appointment early next week with a gyn/oncologist surgeon. I am 75 years old and scared! Thanks so much for the site.

• tvargas

I am so scared. Go tomorrow for port and next Friday for first Chemo treatment. I don't know what to expect so it is so scary. Thanks so much for your words.

• cmb
    edited June 2022 #14

I know that it doesn’t seem like it now, but it was fortunate that your pap smear indicated a problem and that you were able get additional tests so promptly. Pap smears don’t always show uterine cancer. And I’m glad you will be able to see the gynecological oncologist next week. Other women here have had much longer waits for tests and appointments to see doctors.

Once you’ve met with the doctor, let us know what your next steps will be. In the meantime, you may find it helpful to read the comments at “What do you wish someone had told you?” Many of the women there no longer post on the Board, but their comments are still helpful.

• Ottobar
    Ottobar Member Posts: 7 Member

Thanks so much!

• MoeKay
    MoeKay Member Posts: 476 Member

Welcome, tvargas. Wishing you the best with your port insertion and upcoming chemo.

I wanted to mention that when I had my hysterectomy, my gynecologic oncologist described some of my lymph nodes as "palpably enlarged" and others as just enlarged. Palpably enlarged lymph nodes are highly indicative of lymph node metastases. Nevertheless, after the nodes were removed and analyzed by the pathologist, no cancer was found in any of the 30 nodes removed. I believe you were staged as 3C based on the assumption that your cancer has spread to the lymph nodes. While that may turn out to be true, at this point, it is still an open issue in your case until pathological review of the nodes.

Also, there was a dispute in my case between the pathologist and my gyn-onc as to whether my tumor had spread to my cervix. My gyn-onc insisted that the cervix was involved, while the pathologist found that it was not. I asked my gyn-onc whether, based on the pathologist's finding, he would change my clinical staging, and he said "absolutely not." In the end, I think my tumor was so close to the cervix that best practices dictated that my case should be treated as if it had.

My point in telling you about my situation is that there are often grey areas in staging and interpretation of imaging studies, so I would try to keep an open mind about where your staging may ultimately end up.

• salonmax
    salonmax Member Posts: 3 *

You be ok prayers 🙏. The port is going to help so much . Think positive. Think that you are a warrior and you strong 💪 and you will fight it because life is great and beutiful 💕

• tvargas

Thank you so much. I appreciate the words more than you know.

• LisaPizza
    LisaPizza Member Posts: 358 Member

It can be so scary and overwhelming. I had stage 3a, with my whole uterus and left ovary filled with cancer. I had surgery, chemo, and external radiation. I know it's not the same. But I just got back from my 4-year follow up today, all clear :) There really is still hope. Lean on your family, and this group. It's a bit of a long haul, and steep learning curve, but doable. You're in a wonderful place here with this group :)

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member

Ottobar, I could have written your letter 10 YEARS AGO. I am still here, only a little worse for wear. Just steel yourself to get through this uncertain time. It gets more bearable when you get more information.and a plan.

I will be eternally grateful for that Pap smear. I just returned from seeing my grandson graduate from high school.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member

dearest Ottobar, I am afraid your post got a little lost in this thread, but cmb has pointed out so many things that I think are helpful it is not worth repeating. Please be sure you let us know what the plan is the gyn onc is making and how you are doing. I've said it before - you are not alone and YES - it is all overwhelming. hugs dear