They don't know if it is Cancer... guessing because of PET SUV.. please read

tpiro
tpiro Member Posts: 6 Member

Let me cut to the chase in this correspondence. Thyroid Ultrasound performed- indicate several spots -L/S 2.8cm – R/S 1.5cm. PET performed indicated activity midpole of the right thyroid lobe with SUV of 9.1 and inferior left thyroid lobe with SUV of 20.1 - FNA performed w/ several samples L/S results Benign NEG. R/S results Inconclusive. R/S sent to ThyroSeq and results returned NEG. I was told with the PET SUV that high is a (probability) of Cancer. PET Positive (both sides) The SUV should not be that high.  Recommendation for Thyroidectomy conveyed. Your thoughts please.

Comments

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 616 Member

Hi I responded to your other post. I hope you've got some guidance. In my case the biopsy definitely showed cancer. In my opinion I'd rather have it out. I hope you are getting good info from your docs. Blessings.

• tpiro
    tpiro Member Posts: 6 Member

Thank you Deanie0916.. I do appreciate the feedback. With your yes it did come back positive.. if I'm reading you correctly. But with mine they all came back Negative.. I wish it did come back Positive.. then it would have be a no brainer.. but for a doctor to guess it is Cancer by PET SUV level.. not sure. There has been cases where a PET SUV level came back with Benign areas in Thyroid. Ok.. nonetheless.. Please tell me your experience with your Thyroid out.. is it difficult balancing the medication.. do you NOT feel like yourself anymore without your Thyroid... tell me about what is has been like.. please I would like to know if you don't mind.

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 616 Member

Dang I replied on the other post this time! You could always get a second opinion about the idea that it's cancer because the suv levels are high. I pray you get good info and wisdom.

• MissSerra
    MissSerra Member Posts: 2 Member

I had a goiter identified by my PCP and he ordered a fine needle biopsy. The biopsy results came back as normal but the ENT Dr. told me he still wanted to do surgery because it could have just been the spot they biopsied was normal and there was cancer in another part. I had a partial thyroidectomy and was told that there was cancer, stage 2. A week later I was back in surgery to have the rest of my thyroid removed along with some lymph nodes the cancer had spread to. I was very thankful that my doctor insisted on surgery even though the biopsy came back normal.