T-cell ALL and BMT

RobLee
RobLee Member Posts: 269 Member
edited May 2020 in Leukemia #1

Our adult son was recently diagnosed with acute T-cell lymphoblastic leukemia and underwent one month inpatient Hyper-CVAD induction chemo with methotrexate (both infusions and spinal intrathecal) plus pegaspargase. Initially his hemoglobin was very low (4) with WBC through the roof, so received packed RBC transfusions and platelets, and a combination of antibiotics. There has been some mention of a bone marrow transplant, but no specifics were given.

We are unable to travel to be with him due to the COVID restrictions, and our own health. And because he is an adult, we have had only very little discussion with his oncologist directly. So we, as parents, are naturally worried about him when we don't have the whole picture. He seems to be handling the chemo very well... he looks and sounds good (for someone with leukemia). Both my wife and I are cancer patients/survivors (lymphoma) so we are no strangers. It's just that everything we know about his treatment gets filtered thru what he thinks he heard.

So my question is, how common is a bone marrow transplant in cases of T-ALL?  His onc says he has a good chance of going into remission by the end of this year. Thank you for any light you can shed on the matter.

Comments

• Bumbledbee00
    Bumbledbee00 Member Posts: 2 Member
    I am in remission from T
    <b> I am in remission from T cell ALL. I'm not sure if they have compiled that data. Have you asked his care team? So sorry about your son Frown
  • RobLee
    RobLee Member Posts: 269 Member

Thank you. He is in complete remission a year after the BMT, though he must continue taking an anti-viral and a few other meds. He has had all of his immunizations including COVID but like my wife and myself, he ended up getting a mild case for one day.

• TimothyM95
    TimothyM95 Member Posts: 1 *

I still remember going through the symptoms of TALL while I was in the Marine Corps. I fought the idea that I had cancer till a day before I would've died. My buddy forced me to go to the hospital that night. 4th of July 2018. I was the DD.

I think about it everyday now. I still go through maintenance chemo. I have 6 months left of chemo and I'll finely be done.

My doctors haven't mentioned anything about bone marrow transfusions anymore, nor radiation. I only had to go through chemo, luckily. Daily chemo with monthly injections. And every 3 months of IT chemo injections.

I'm weak now, but I work as a technician. It's tough on me. I know it's not good for me, but I need to work. Mentally. I need it. Something to keep me busy and distract me from my thoughts from what I actually went through.

I can't help those thoughts on the weekends obviously.

I hope everything has and/ or is going well for you son. Positive thinking helps everyone in these situations.