Sepsis how much is to much ?

worriedson714
worriedson714 Member Posts: 333 Member
edited June 2021 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hello all ,

Well we had to rush my dad to the hospital and we are still waiting for blood cultures but they are pretty sure he has sepsis his cancer is causing a blockage on his urethra . They put in a nephrostomy tube in his kidney thankfully has his feeling better so that makes three bags now my dad has why is the world so unfair ? Anyone had any experience with nephrpstomy tubes draining the infection from the kidney ? I am so worried it's going to cause a worse infection but doctors said it was the only choice doctors are trying to get him healthy enough to start cancer treatment but it just seems like it is always something . I am a firm believer in the power of prayer and postive thoughts so please say a prayer for my dad and as always any and all advice is welcomed . 

The doctors have basically given my dad have given my dad three choices chemo for life to control the cancer or radiation with small dose of chemo to try and get rid of it but there not sure that it will cure the cancer as it has grown . Or just let it go and they say the tumor would block off the bowels but he could have a year left or so there not really sure . My dad no doubt wants to keep fighting but he is unsure what to do . I don't really know what advice to give my dad he just seems so unhappy and everytime something else comes up like this sepsis it is heartbreaking . 

I want my dad to keep fighting no matter what but I fear we are approaching a point when the suffering is becoming to much and the odds are becoming to much to overcome.  It is heartbreaking for me to even type those words and it feels like I am betraying my dad to even think them but I got no where else to even say them. How far is to far how do you know when the cancer and it's complications are becoming to much to bear ? I have never had to deal with anything like this in my life so all these questions are flooding my head I know no one can answer this but I guess you can consider this a update with a little blog mixed in just needed to share with those who understand the " demon " that is cancer thank you all for listening . 

Comments

• CancerFreeSunny
    CancerFreeSunny Member Posts: 76 Member
    edited June 2021 #2
    My mom got sepsis and it

My mom got sepsis and it killed her. The hospital called and said she was on life support and to come quick. She never responded to any hand squeeze or stimulus. We had to have the machines turned off eventually because the cardiologist said she would never get out of that bed and would never wake up. My mom had congestive heart failure.

• worriedson714
    edited June 2021 #3

My mom got sepsis and it

My mom got sepsis and it killed her. The hospital called and said she was on life support and to come quick. She never responded to any hand squeeze or stimulus. We had to have the machines turned off eventually because the cardiologist said she would never get out of that bed and would never wake up. My mom had congestive heart failure.

so sorry to hear this

Sorry for your loss this is why I knew I had to get my dad to hospital fast 

• CancerFreeSunny
    CancerFreeSunny Member Posts: 76 Member
    At this point, it may be time

At this point, it may be time to ask your dad what he wants. You said he was in great pain. Let your dad decide what he wants to do next, either further treatment, a break from treatment, a newer treatment or no treatment at all. I think he will let you know soon, one way or the other. 

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    Cindy would never stop

Cindy would never stop believing she could beat it all, somehow. Even when they stopped treatment for her brain tumor, she'd still have good days with an appetite and strength to take herself to the bathroom, and be encouraged by these things. Meanwhile the tumor was pushing out her ear canal, distorting and parilyzing her sweet face. I told her it was just swelling and we'd get a steroid script to deal with it. I'd saved a lot of her medications, especially her liquid morphine because I'd heard stories of awful, screaming finishes to this type of tumor [GBM], and as her caregiver with home hospice, I vowed that that wouldn't happen. Fortunately it didn't go that way, she just slept more and more, until she stopped reaching consciousness. I just kept up her medication on schedule until the end, for certainty's sake. Being a caregiver to someone you love so intensely, is as difficult a thing to cope with as I've ever known, and I understand your dilemma. If my wife wanted to continue to ''fight'', I'd back that, until she said stop. Do figure out the moves past that point, even if it feels like betrayal, that's your role, to think about the hard things, the painful possibilities. My thoughts are with you and your dad.....................................................Dave

• Tueffel
    Tueffel Member Posts: 327 Member
    edited June 2021 #6
    I am sending prayers

I am sending prayers to your dad. 

I dont really know what to say from here but whatever your dad decides to do, which treatment he chooses or if he devides to stop treatment, your priority has to be your dad and it is only his decision. You might not agree with his decision as hard as that sounds. You write that you want your dad to keep fighting no matter what and I feel the same that I want my dad to be around as long as possible. But I dont want my dad to suffer, to be in pain just to have him longer here, suffering. So keep in mind what he chooses might be the road of less suffering for him and not for you.

• worriedson714
    edited June 2021 #7
    thanks guys

Great advice as always just trying to take it one day at a time right now dad has some doctors appointments next week so hopefully that will help him figure out what he wants to do . Me I'm just trying to be there and love him no matter what I will never give up hope no matter what. Today he seems to be doing better he ate breakfast on his own and is drinking water without us reminding him . Went to the grocery store so hopefully these are good signs but he is still very sleepy and has diarrhea from the antibiotics I assume . Right now the hiccups seem to be his biggest problem  anyone know if cancer can cause the hiccups ? Or maybe stress or something else ? We have tried everything and nothing helps and they play havoc on his copd any suggestions ? 

• worriedson714
    edited June 2021 #8
    Tueffel said:

I am sending prayers

I am sending prayers to your dad. 

I dont really know what to say from here but whatever your dad decides to do, which treatment he chooses or if he devides to stop treatment, your priority has to be your dad and it is only his decision. You might not agree with his decision as hard as that sounds. You write that you want your dad to keep fighting no matter what and I feel the same that I want my dad to be around as long as possible. But I dont want my dad to suffer, to be in pain just to have him longer here, suffering. So keep in mind what he chooses might be the road of less suffering for him and not for you.

I will keep this in mind

Cause it's a tricky balance to want someone to be around as long as you can but also not wanting them to suffer as you know . Thanks for the prayers and I am sending them to your dad as well I hope he is doing good in his fight . 

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited June 2021 #9

thanks guys

Great advice as always just trying to take it one day at a time right now dad has some doctors appointments next week so hopefully that will help him figure out what he wants to do . Me I'm just trying to be there and love him no matter what I will never give up hope no matter what. Today he seems to be doing better he ate breakfast on his own and is drinking water without us reminding him . Went to the grocery store so hopefully these are good signs but he is still very sleepy and has diarrhea from the antibiotics I assume . Right now the hiccups seem to be his biggest problem  anyone know if cancer can cause the hiccups ? Or maybe stress or something else ? We have tried everything and nothing helps and they play havoc on his copd any suggestions ? 

Hiccups

Chemo can cause hiccups. Sometimes it is chronic. A member of the forum, years back, had it in the worst way. I had them, but it didn't last overly long.  

People think ah, just hiccups, but when they are continious, it takes a toll on the body. 

Tru

• worriedson714
    Trubrit said:

Hiccups

Chemo can cause hiccups. Sometimes it is chronic. A member of the forum, years back, had it in the worst way. I had them, but it didn't last overly long.  

People think ah, just hiccups, but when they are continious, it takes a toll on the body. 

Tru

hiccups

My dad has had them since thursday and he hasn't even started chemo yet and there driving him nuts did the member with them years back say what they tried for them ? Just looking for any ideas at this point to try to help my dad out . 

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 714 Member
    edited June 2021 #11
    Worriedson, not sure if it

Worriedson, not sure if it was you asking for HER+ info but found a trial going on.

HER2+ Metastatic Colorectal Cancer Research Now Enrolling Volunteers

Hi,

We are reaching out on behalf of TrialScope and Seagen to share information about the MOUNTAINEER study that is looking for volunteers.

• worriedson714
    Update-

Just wanted to give out a update sepsis seems to be behind us (knock on wood) as well as the hiccups after a week seem to be letting up . The trick to hiccups seems to be muscle relaxers if anyone is ever suffering from the hiccups . Finally the doctors are ready to start radiation and low dose chemo however it's not that simple it never is is it ? My dad now has three bags ( urostomy colostomy and Nephrostomy tube ) the doctors want him to do treatment with all three and add a chemo pump . 

Then they want to do the kidney stone removal and stent surgery after that however of course this is very overwhelming to my dad and he would like to do the kidney stone surgery and stent surgery first . This way he could be without the kidney stone pain as well as get rid of the nephrostomy tube . The doctors don't seem to like that idea and can't understand that dad would be dealing with way to much if he does it there way. 

So things are at a stalemate and I am pretty much freaking out even though I am trying to hold it in for my dad's sake . Dad says he still wants to fight but he basically wants to fight his way . Which I understand this cancer battle has made him want any kind of control back over his own life and I want him to have that to . But the son in me is worried as always that doing the surgery will take to long to get to treatment and the bad thoughts are starting to get in about will we make it to treatment ? Right now the tumor is 6.8 cm it seems to grow about a cm every two months but that seems like alot to . For all those intrested just wanted to put up a update thank you all so much I don't think I could make it threw this without this board .