6 minutes on elliptical

abita
abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member

I am not sure how many of you know that I have been trying to get started with cardio thinking that it will help with the dismal fatigue and maybe even help fight the cancer.

Well, I know most people won't understand how proud I am of a mere 6 minutes at an incline on the elliptical. But was thinking some of y'all might get how exciting it is to get started. This was on drowsy allergy meds and without a water bottle. It was kind of a "I am NOT going to say I will start tomorrow again" kind of, just get started. I am really hoping to eventually build up to 60 minutes.

Comments

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 714 Member
    You go girl...I am so very

You go girl...I am so very proud of you!!!

Makes me feel like I need to put my shoes on and walk the dogs.

• BerniceOB
    BerniceOB Member Posts: 40 Member
    that's wonderful!

So happy for you!  I have seen how difficult exercise has been for my husband.  That is wonderful that you were able to do that!  I am very happy for you!  :)

• abita
    edited May 2021 #4
    Thanks! 

Thanks! 

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited May 2021 #5
    Six minutes

Six minutes is twice as long as three minutes. Every minute counts.

Celebrate each succsess.

Tru

• PamRav
    PamRav Member Posts: 348 Member
    edited May 2021 #6
    Good for you!

You go girl.  Sometimes starting is the hardest part!  
    p

• Real Tar Heel
    Real Tar Heel Member Posts: 307 Member
    edited May 2021 #7
    Awesome. I feel much worse

Awesome. I feel much worse when I can't exercise, realizing on FOLFIRI going to have to force myself during the treatment week.

• RudiTuesday
    RudiTuesday Member Posts: 15
    edited May 2021 #8
    Congratulations!

Six minutes is an accomplishment. Good for you! Two years ago when I was going through chemo I would walk the perimeter of my backyard. It took 200 steps to walk around my yard. Sometimes I couldn't finish and would call my husband to come outside and help me back into the house. Last month I had my first clear scan in three years. Now I walk around my neighborhood daily. I can walk 3 miles now. We all have to start somewhere.  Keep it up! Start over if you have to, not every day will be good, but do what you can.

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 783 Member
    edited May 2021 #9
    Good for you Abita!  

Good for you Abita!  

• DanNH
    DanNH Member Posts: 184 Member
    edited May 2021 #10
    Nicely Done!

Way to go abita. I see what an effort it can be and it's good to see you take on the challenge!

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    edited May 2021 #11
    You Got This Abita

Although it is a cliche, getting started really is the hardest part.  You have done 6 minutes more than most people will do in a day - includling those that do not have cancer.  

You will build up to an hour, take your time and pace yourself.  Also there will be days when you may feel a bit better than other days doing this.  Do not let the days where you feel a bit off get to you.  Each time you do anything, it makes you feel better even if not 100% on your game that day.

There is a lot of research about exercise and cancer.  I saw one recently, need to find it again.  

Keep it going and keep posting updates.  I am cheering for you from here.

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    edited May 2021 #12
    You are awesome!

Good for you, huge winning moment and I know you will have many more!!

• abita
    thanks for the encouragement!

thanks for the encouragement! the only reason I made it on the machine today :)

• worriedson714
    worriedson714 Member Posts: 333 Member
    edited May 2021 #14
    cheering you on

Cheering you on from the sideline abita you should be so proud 

• PamRav
    PamRav Member Posts: 348 Member
    Hah!

now you have some serious peer pressure!

keep up the good work

p

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited May 2021 #16
    Good for you, it's what many

Good for you, it's what many of us need. I started last week on a spa quality elliptical, because breaking a cheaper one really screws up the routine, lol. 230 lbs. demands a sturdy unit, but I'm on my way, and my ankles can stand that work much better than walking/jogging outside. Next on the list are sit-ups/crunches to tighten up this roadmap of a belly. It was my strongest muscle group once, guess we'll see what it has left in it. Good luck with your program, Abita......................................Dave

• abita

Good for you, it's what many

Good for you, it's what many of us need. I started last week on a spa quality elliptical, because breaking a cheaper one really screws up the routine, lol. 230 lbs. demands a sturdy unit, but I'm on my way, and my ankles can stand that work much better than walking/jogging outside. Next on the list are sit-ups/crunches to tighten up this roadmap of a belly. It was my strongest muscle group once, guess we'll see what it has left in it. Good luck with your program, Abita......................................Dave

I have a gym quality precor

I have a gym quality precor elliptical with incline. THe exact one I was using at my gym. I was distraught at my recurrence, and convinced myself that over time, the cost would be made up from what I saved on the gym membership. This is what makes it even more sad that I don't use it as I should

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited May 2021 #18
    abita said:

I have a gym quality precor elliptical with incline. THe exact one I was using at my gym. I was distraught at my recurrence, and convinced myself that over time, the cost would be made up from what I saved on the gym membership. This is what makes it even more sad that I don't use it as I should

This one has all the goodies

This one has all the goodies including a 30 degree incline,,  which I leave up so I'm getting a bit of the stair stepper thing. When I was first diagnosed I got religious about the gym even on days I worked hard. That lasted until my first recurrance, which along with Cindy's bouncing back from her initial surgery and treatments, had me thinking we needed to enjoy our time, now, not work harder. So it became a now and then thing, when I felt like it, the kids would use it too, so it didn't seem a waste, and I had the weights too, so I was saving plenty not having the membership. When I got the second recurrance in my liver, and Cindy was really battling,  I just said ''screw it all'', and that attitude towards exercise has carried, mostly until this current year. Suddenly I'm caring or feeling in the mood to again, and thankfully I didnt give the stuff all away. Don't let it being there guilt trip you, Abita. Think of it as damn handy when you're in the mood, and your right to choose, if your not. Keep it positive and a challenge, because you sure don't owe a machine anything, you owe yourself all the good times and good feelings you can muster........................................Dave

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    edited May 2021 #19
    abita said:

Worth Every Penny

Don't be sad, you are doing it.  Out of all the things in the world, a piece of exercise equipment you like using is up there in a good purchase.  And having something right there is extremely valuable.  On days when I am not up to going out to run or bike (or when I went to gym for pool), having something right there was invaluable to have right there.  Putting on sneakers and walking to the treadmill often was what I needed to make sure I did something. 

• Erica2016
    Erica2016 Member Posts: 47 Member
    edited May 2021 #20
    you go Abita!

After my recurrence I have been afraid to use my lungs (if that sounds silly, it is) . You have movitaed me to get back on the treadmill. 

• abita
    edited May 2021 #21
    Erica2016 said:

you go Abita!

After my recurrence I have been afraid to use my lungs (if that sounds silly, it is) . You have movitaed me to get back on the treadmill. 

I get that because I have 4

I get that because I have 4 lung tumors. But I kind of hope it strengthens them.

Have you had surgery on your lungs. I have not.