The port

2»

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited March 2021 #22

I have no idea how long you

I have no idea how long you are suppose to keep the port after chemo.  A nurse in my surgeons clinic has one.  She told me it was recommended for her to keep it 5 yrs with flushes every 6wks.  She gets it out this summer.  It might depend on type of cancer and stage, Idk.  In my case the cancer center I went to was bare min.  It was just a chemo filling station is the best way to put it.  I was ignored or brushed off and it was my surgeon who brought up removing it.  

YES, you have to be your own advocate!  Good for you!  Learn all you can and use that knowledge for the best outcome.

Port

Guess it all depends on treatment.  If you are continuing with treatment then it might be a good thing to keep the port in.  If you aren't using it anymore, your oncologist will let you know when it can come out.  Also, it is up to the doctor about flushes because not all of them recommend the same protocol.  My doctor took mine out one month after my treatment ended and a clear scan.

Kim

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member

What is the reason for having

What is the reason for having it 22 yrs?

BTW:  the dr who put mine in said he was the only one who could remove it.  I don't think so.  My body my port bought and paid for, my property :)

Mine was causing thyroid irritation and inflammation (might be why thyroid levels are out of whack and deveoloped some nodules), causing stenosis in the main vein that also leads to your heart.  Dangerous in my case.

Wow

That would be dangerous.  Some people just don't adjust well to the port either.  They have infection problems, blockage, or it just malfunctions.  My port hurt terribly as it was right on my collar bone and anytime it was touched it would send pain through it. 

Kim

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    edited March 2021 #24
    Good for you!

Good for you!

Its such a good feeling!

k

• bmorton
    bmorton Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2021 #25
    Port

Reason for having:  Maybe fear of cancer recurrance?

• yetti
    yetti Member Posts: 82 Member
    edited April 2021 #26
    Port

I don't keep the port. Due to being afraid of a reccurence!  I keep it to use for blood draws and ct scans or pet or any thing requiring vein access ! The reason is Bc I will not be using this port for treatment again Bc I don't plan to have treatment.  Chemo or radiation if it recurs. I did it once It was the worse experience of my life and ?‍? I refuse to do it again !

• bmorton
    bmorton Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2021 #27
    Port

I am not sure I understand?  Why would you not want the port for future access in case treatment is needed? Many of us, for sue, are traveling the same path!

• yetti
    yetti Member Posts: 82 Member
    Because I'm not doing more

Because I'm not doing more chemo !  Regardless if it recurs it recurs  But Im not doing chemo again !  Not hard to understand needed or not needed I've done chemo. Worst exp in my life won't do it again !