Lung Wedge Resection

todd121
todd121 Member Posts: 1,448 Member

On 2/12 I will have a 3-4cm tumor removed in my upper right lung. RCC metastasis. Maybe a piece of the rib.

Anybody have a surgery like this? I'm wondering what to expect in recovery and long term from this? The surgeon said I won't lose function, but I'm just guessing the pleura will not heal like it was before and expecting pulling, tension, or pain there maybe for the rest of my life. Anybody have experience with this?

The surgeon told me to expect worse pain than with my nephrectomy. That surprised me to hear. His explanation was that the lungs move all the time and that trauma to the ribs heals slower because they are moving all the time when you breath and move (especially in bed).

Any and all advice and experience is welcome.

Thank you all!

Todd

P.S. I had my brain and chest MRI today. My brain was clear. Don't know yet about the tumor's involvement with the ribs to find out if I can do surgery or not and whether I will lose a rib. Waiting on the surgeon.

Comments

• eug91
    eug91 Member Posts: 471 Member
    no advice, but-

Great job getting through your MRI! 

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 237 Member
    edited January 2021 #3
    Wishing you an easy surgery

Wishing you an easy surgery and recovery. Are you a member of Smartpatients? We can give you friendship and moral support, but I think there are more people there who are knowledgeable about metastatic issues.

• todd121
    todd121 Member Posts: 1,448 Member

Wishing you an easy surgery

Wishing you an easy surgery and recovery. Are you a member of Smartpatients? We can give you friendship and moral support, but I think there are more people there who are knowledgeable about metastatic issues.

Thanks! Yes.

I am on SmartPatients.

Todd

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 614 Member
    Hi Todd

No advice but good thoughts and prayers coming your way!

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    edited January 2021 #6
    No advice just thinking of

No advice just thinking of you and wishing you the very best. Hugs xo

• a_oaklee
    a_oaklee Member Posts: 566 Member
    Hey Todd.  Your surgeon is

Hey Todd.  Your surgeon is correct in telling you that it is more painful than a nephrectomy, but that is due to location.  Correct to say that the chest wall movement of breathing is the reason.  The thing is you really need to medicate for discomfort.  If you are comfortable due to the drugs, you will be able to breathe better, take deeper breaths, move about, and cough.  Dont be stoic or brave.  Take what you can get, and if its not enough ask for more.   

Re your rib.  I would be asking questions about that.  What rib.  Why possible removal.  Is it for access, or to remove an area that they think has cancer.  Is it in the bone?   Can they treat your rib with radiation, cementoplasty, cryo, etc..  Those are the questions I would ask.

My husband had bone mets stage 4 at the time of his diagnosis in 2012.  He did have a rib met that was never treated.  However, all of this time he takes targeted therapy and a bone agent.  The rib met is completely inactive, "no metabolic activity" and does not show up on CT PET scans.

I wish you the very best Todd.  I know you are going to do well.  I honestly dont think you will have lasting problems after this surgery.  I think you will bounce back as soon as possible to your normal activities.

• Hd67xlch
    Hd67xlch Member Posts: 151 Member
    edited February 2021 #8
    To me...........

the three lung surgeries were much easier and faster to recover from than the kidney removal, youll be up and walking the day  you get out of the icu, I know its easy for me to say it but ive been through it three times, and its gotten easier each time, 2016 2017 and 2019, and im doing fine. As far as afterwards pain it depends where the slice you open at, the two left lung surgeries I had have never been a issue, the right lung one has left me with semi constant pain at the incision site on my back(post thoracotomy pain syndrome effects 50% of patients), but its nothing I cant live with, hang in there youll be fine, gl.

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,060 Member
    edited February 2021 #9
    Hey Todd, any update? How did

Hey Todd, any update? How did it go?

• a_oaklee
    a_oaklee Member Posts: 566 Member
    edited March 2021 #10
    Thinking about you

Hi Todd.  I hope everything went well and you are recovering without any problems.  Looking forward to hearing from you.  

• lobbyist0724
    lobbyist0724 Member Posts: 515 Member
    Hi Todd, wish you a speedy

Hi Todd, wish you a speedy recovery and the best results!

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    edited April 2021 #12
    Thinking of you Todd. Hope

Thinking of you Todd. Hope all is well and you're recovering nicely. 

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,060 Member
    edited April 2021 #13
    Todd was disappearing for

Todd was disappearing for long periods before as well. So I hope he is OK now, just recovering and resting.

Todd, let us know how you're doing, OK?

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 614 Member

Hi Todd curious to know how the surgery went. Hope it went well.