Renal cancer- passing blood clots

Sandroid
Sandroid Member Posts: 8

Good morning,

My partner has received a clinical diagnosis of renal cancer. He is having surgery this month to remove his effected kidney, the tumor, and possibly the regional lymph nodes and adrenal gland. He has been passing pretty large blood clots but I can't find any information online about this issue. Has anyone else experienced this? Can you refer me to any online literature? Thank you

Comments

• Mighty Frog
    Mighty Frog Member Posts: 152 Member
    edited January 2021 #2
    Hi! Sandroid!

Hi!

Had my partial nep in 2017. I suffered passing blood clots after my second time hospital admission. As I started to urine blood and loss a lot of blood. My doctor & his team able to stop the bleeding. Then I continue to have passing blood clots for about a 1 month. My doctor said is due to the medication that stop the bleeding that makes the blood clot form. Once is cleared, everything back to normal. You had to wait till all the blood clot cleared in the kidney. If still persistent then better consultant the doctor again. 

Stay Safe & Be Strong

• a_oaklee
    a_oaklee Member Posts: 566 Member
    Not uncommon

Its very common to urinate blood clots as a persons first symptom.  Its what leads many people to the dr or hospital, and end up being diagnosed with a renal tumor.   Renal cancer grows silently.  Honestly, you will come to feel greatful that you found out about the cancer as early as possible.  Of course, I know seeing the blood is really scary.  My husband and many others had the same thing happen to them.   You are definetly not alone.  My word of advice is to not read anything older than 3 or 4 years of research.  There has been much improvement in treatment.

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member
    edited January 2021 #4
    My kidney lesion was found

My kidney lesion was found incidentally after a routine set of tests during my annual physical found microscopic particles of blood in my urine.  I was referred to a CT scan and that's when the discovery was made.  My understanding at the time (late 2013) was that most kidney cancers are found incidentally, when something else is being checked.  Because my lesion was so small, the urologic oncologist set me up on active surveillance as many lesions this small are not malignant.  It was 2-1/2 years before an ultrasound detected a small amount of growth.  In that 2-1/2 years, I had a couple more urine tests, and neither showed any blood.  None of the docs I spoke with had any explanation for why.

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 237 Member

My kidney lesion was found

My kidney lesion was found incidentally after a routine set of tests during my annual physical found microscopic particles of blood in my urine.  I was referred to a CT scan and that's when the discovery was made.  My understanding at the time (late 2013) was that most kidney cancers are found incidentally, when something else is being checked.  Because my lesion was so small, the urologic oncologist set me up on active surveillance as many lesions this small are not malignant.  It was 2-1/2 years before an ultrasound detected a small amount of growth.  In that 2-1/2 years, I had a couple more urine tests, and neither showed any blood.  None of the docs I spoke with had any explanation for why.

Mine was 7 cm and I never had

Mine was 7 cm and I never had blood in the urine, or any other symptoms. I wonder if it depends on where the tumor is on the kidney? Mine was perched on top, like a vulture.

• Sandroid
    edited January 2021 #6
    Thank you all for your input.

Thank you all for your input. His tumor is 8.5cm and he is in constant pain,  along with blood clots. He does have polycystic kidney disease so perhaps its complicating matters?  We are glad the surgery is this week- hopefully that will end the clots. 

• Bay Area Guy
    edited January 2021 #7
    Sandroid said:

Thank you all for your input.

Thank you all for your input. His tumor is 8.5cm and he is in constant pain,  along with blood clots. He does have polycystic kidney disease so perhaps its complicating matters?  We are glad the surgery is this week- hopefully that will end the clots. 

Best wishes for a boring

Best wishes for a boring surgery and a full and complete recovery.

• a_oaklee
    edited January 2021 #8
    Its my understanding that

Its my understanding that bleeding occurs most often when the tumor is in the center of the kidney.  My husbands was located there and the reason he needed a total nephrectomy.  The kidneys are highly vascular.  

• Sandroid
    edited January 2021 #9
    a_oaklee said:

Its my understanding that

Its my understanding that bleeding occurs most often when the tumor is in the center of the kidney.  My husbands was located there and the reason he needed a total nephrectomy.  The kidneys are highly vascular.  

That is interesting; they

That is interesting; they didn't tell us the exact location but immediately said a radical was necessary. My biggest concern is that the bleeding has gone on for awhile but was attributed to the polycystic kidney disease. Hopefully its not worse then we think!!!

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 616 Member
    edited January 2021 #10
    Hope the surgery goes smoothly

Good thoughts and prayers for you all. Mine was discovered when I passeda huge blood clot...so scary but it led to getting that tumor out! 

• Sandroid
    edited January 2021 #11
    Well, the nephrectomy was

Well, the nephrectomy was completed successfully. The kidney was enlarged, the tumor was bit smaller then a grapefruit and there was extensive lymph and vascular involvement. Initially pathology confirmed this is not renal cell carcinoma but something "aggressive and rare." The doctor would not elaborate further with the final pathology results. Any ideas about what this might be?

• eug91
    eug91 Member Posts: 471 Member
    congrats on getting through your neph-

First off, well done on getting through your neph! Hoping you're resting and on your way to recovery! 

As for what your doctor said, I have no idea. You should try to get clarification from the doctor as soon as possible. 

• Bay Area Guy
    edited January 2021 #13
    Sandroid said:

Well, the nephrectomy was

Well, the nephrectomy was completed successfully. The kidney was enlarged, the tumor was bit smaller then a grapefruit and there was extensive lymph and vascular involvement. Initially pathology confirmed this is not renal cell carcinoma but something "aggressive and rare." The doctor would not elaborate further with the final pathology results. Any ideas about what this might be?

Good to hear that the surgery

Good to hear that the surgery is over and done.  No idea on what the doctor may be referring to.  But hoping it's all resolved soon and life can go back to normal for you folks.

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 237 Member
    Glad your surgery is behind

Glad your surgery is behind you!

• a_oaklee
    edited February 2021 #15
    Im glad the surgery is behind

Im glad the surgery is behind you.  My best advice is for you to get a copy of the pathology report.  I dont understand the comment of aggressive and rare.