Covid Vaccine

abita
abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member

Do y'all plan on getting it when your "group" is eligible?

I was thinking today how terrified I get when someone without a mask comes close, and then I worry for 10 days, and how extraordinarilying fabulous it is going to be to have that anxiety lifted from my shoulders! I will still wear a mask until we get the all clear, but will not be as scared. I think my turn should come up in  March.

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Not me

When push comes to shove, I just don't trust that they know enough about it to act as a guinia pig.

My husband is going to get it though. 

Of coruse, I don't even get the flu shot. My Rad Onc asked me once, why? And I told him 'I hate needles'. He laughed at the irony, as I had that 10 inch needle (OK, maybe not 10 inches) stuck in my port, at the time. 

I hope you find the relief from the anxiety, when you get the shot. 

Tru

• abita
    edited January 2021 #3
    Trubrit said:

Not me

When push comes to shove, I just don't trust that they know enough about it to act as a guinia pig.

My husband is going to get it though. 

Of coruse, I don't even get the flu shot. My Rad Onc asked me once, why? And I told him 'I hate needles'. He laughed at the irony, as I had that 10 inch needle (OK, maybe not 10 inches) stuck in my port, at the time. 

I hope you find the relief from the anxiety, when you get the shot. 

Tru

I think it might also be aout

I think it might also be aout location. I took the trash out the other day, and passed 3 people on the way not wearing masks, which is indicative of how many people are aaround me in NYC. At Msk yesterday, I searched long and hard for a seat where no one was within the 6 feet, and someone put a man with his mask down in a wheelchair about 12 inches from me.  I have never gotten a flu shot. But I live in a city that less than a year ago had refrigerator trucks to hold the morgue overflow.

• abita
    edited January 2021 #4
    Trubrit said:

I totally agree

I live in a small rural town. While I occasionally go in to work part time at a little health food shop; the only other place I come into contact with people, would be Walmart, and I go as early in the day as possible to avoid them. 

I think I might feel differently if I were in constant contact with people.  I mean, I am nervous enough at the health food shop that I have given my hours to a new girl. I am in at the moment doing inventory. Still, we see less than 20 people in a day, so I am definitely not over-exposed. 

I think you are wise to get the shot. Peace of mind to start with, is worth it. 

Tru

Thanks. I was actually not

Thanks. I was actually not going to as I was worried about there not being studies on how it might affect my chemo drug. But that mask down person next to me happened while I was waiting for oncologist, and after talking to him, I felt better about getting it. 

• Trubrit
    abita said:

I think it might also be aout

I think it might also be aout location. I took the trash out the other day, and passed 3 people on the way not wearing masks, which is indicative of how many people are aaround me in NYC. At Msk yesterday, I searched long and hard for a seat where no one was within the 6 feet, and someone put a man with his mask down in a wheelchair about 12 inches from me.  I have never gotten a flu shot. But I live in a city that less than a year ago had refrigerator trucks to hold the morgue overflow.

I totally agree

I live in a small rural town. While I occasionally go in to work part time at a little health food shop; the only other place I come into contact with people, would be Walmart, and I go as early in the day as possible to avoid them. 

I think I might feel differently if I were in constant contact with people.  I mean, I am nervous enough at the health food shop that I have given my hours to a new girl. I am in at the moment doing inventory. Still, we see less than 20 people in a day, so I am definitely not over-exposed. 

I think you are wise to get the shot. Peace of mind to start with, is worth it. 

Tru

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Vaccine

Personally, I am all for the vaccine.  I will get it as soon as it is available to me.  I haven't travelled to hike since June, and that is my passion.  The vaccine offers me some potential for normalcy.  I am so sick of living in isolation and only going out in public once a week (I still walk in the open space 2-3 times a day).  It is a highly individual choice, but I am all-in.

• abita

Vaccine

Personally, I am all for the vaccine.  I will get it as soon as it is available to me.  I haven't travelled to hike since June, and that is my passion.  The vaccine offers me some potential for normalcy.  I am so sick of living in isolation and only going out in public once a week (I still walk in the open space 2-3 times a day).  It is a highly individual choice, but I am all-in.

I get that! I would like to

I get that! I would like to go for a walk and not panic. I don't even go on walks anymore because of how many I pass without masks. I live in a dense neighborhood. Even my recyclables get a little piled up because I get so anxious just passing the people in my building who ignore the rules of my city and building and don't wear masks.

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 714 Member
    edited January 2021 #8

Walks

To me, masks are all about respect.  I will plan to don one when I am near others, even after I get a vaccine.  I live in a less densely populated area with a mask mandate, but many flaunt their violation of the mask ordinance.  Luckily, I am able to stay 100 feet or more away from them.  I do have N-95 masks that I wear to the store, as a number of people simply wear single layer bandanas or have their masks below their noses.  It is a crazy world to have to deal with these coronavirus issues as well as cancer.

(revised in respect for the political sensitivities of some members of the forum)

Opposite observation here.

I will say where I live it is mostly young people, bernie and biden supporters that do not wear them.  Its like they don't care about the virus.  Also my in laws are die hard democrats and believe the mask mandates are silly.

I wear mine and stay far away from anyone wearing them or not.  I feel I can't be to careful because this virus is way to unpredictable to be otherwise.  

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Nope

I'll never forget two vaccines, one was the pneumonia and the other shingles, and of course the flu shot.  After both the pneumonia and shingles they told me six months after getting them that they were not very effective and needed a new course of shots.  I'll wait awhile.

Kim

• SandiaBuddy
    edited January 2021 #10
    abita said:

I get that! I would like to

I get that! I would like to go for a walk and not panic. I don't even go on walks anymore because of how many I pass without masks. I live in a dense neighborhood. Even my recyclables get a little piled up because I get so anxious just passing the people in my building who ignore the rules of my city and building and don't wear masks.

Walks

To me, masks are all about respect.  I will plan to don one when I am near others, even after I get a vaccine.  I live in a less densely populated area with a mask mandate, but many flaunt their violation of the mask ordinance.  Luckily, I am able to stay 100 feet or more away from them.  I do have N-95 masks that I wear to the store, as a number of people simply wear single layer bandanas or have their masks below their noses.  It is a crazy world to have to deal with these coronavirus issues as well as cancer.

(revised in respect for the political sensitivities of some members of the forum)

• SandiaBuddy

I will say where I live it is mostly young people, bernie and biden supporters that do not wear them.  Its like they don't care about the virus.  Also my in laws are die hard democrats and believe the mask mandates are silly.

I wear mine and stay far away from anyone wearing them or not.  I feel I can't be to careful because this virus is way to unpredictable to be otherwise.  

Politics

Mmm, yes, I should have known better than to dip into politics.  But if you look at the various presidential rallies I think you can observe which political group was more likely to follow the mask recommendations.  With that, I will close this topic and not revisit it.

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 714 Member
    edited January 2021 #12

Politics

Mmm, yes, I should have known better than to dip into politics.  But if you look at the various presidential rallies I think you can observe which political group was more likely to follow the mask recommendations.  With that, I will close this topic and not revisit it.

Oh gosh, I didn't mean to

Oh gosh, I didn't mean to sound political.  

• Jnap26
    Jnap26 Member Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2021 #13
    COVID vaccine

I feel you should get the vaccine when available. I already had my first one. I work in a hospital and see how devastating this virus is. Most of my coworkers already had their second shot. I'm not aware of any bad side effects. 

• abita
    edited January 2021 #14
    Jnap26 said:

COVID vaccine

I feel you should get the vaccine when available. I already had my first one. I work in a hospital and see how devastating this virus is. Most of my coworkers already had their second shot. I'm not aware of any bad side effects. 

Thanks for the encouragement.

Thanks for the encouragement and reality check. I wasn't so much afraid of side effects as afraid it would intefere with the chemo drug getting its work done.

• flutemon
    flutemon Member Posts: 41 Member
    YES

I am a polio survivor - born in 1955 just as the vaccine was being distributed. I had it as a 6 month old baby - spent time in an iron lung with no movement.  It totally impacted the course of my life.  So I am very pro-vaccine.

I am in the 1b group in Texas and have already had the first dose at UTSW where I get my cancer treatment.  Only real side-effect was a sore arm for a few days.  Since I now have mets in my lungs, I would rather have whatever protection I can get for those lungs - they are important :)  My wife is a teacher and I watch grandsons, so there's that. 

The hope for me is that with the vaccine I'll be able to be a little more engaged in the life I had 9 months ago.  If my stage 4 diagnosis means my life might be shorter, I have a lot to pack in still!  The bucket list is long and hard to work on when I'm staying at home and away from the general public.  I want to live my life while I can.

Just my 2 cents!

• airborne72
    airborne72 Member Posts: 296 Member
    edited January 2021 #16
    Original Swine Flu

I was in the military in 1977 and was forced (ordered) to receive the swine flu vaccination.  At the time there was considerable debate about the effects of the vaccine (death) and that was concerning.  However, my greater objection was just like Tru's - I don't like needles.  I complied and I survived with no effects.  INCIDENTALLY, I HAVE NOT HAD ANOTHER FLU SHOT SINCE THEN NOR HAVE I HAD THE FLU SINCE THEN.  Could be genetics, lifestyle or luck.  Regardless, I will decline the Covid vaccine.

My place in life (healthwise) is also a factor.  My rectal cancer is in remission and I am not undergoing any chemo/radiation treatment.  If I were then I would probably reconsider.

In my opinion, the choice of receiving the vaccine should remain with the individual.  Present the facts, void of politicalization, and let the individual citizen consider the risk/reward in the context of his/her situation.

jIM

• Trubrit
    edited January 2021 #17

Original Swine Flu

I was in the military in 1977 and was forced (ordered) to receive the swine flu vaccination.  At the time there was considerable debate about the effects of the vaccine (death) and that was concerning.  However, my greater objection was just like Tru's - I don't like needles.  I complied and I survived with no effects.  INCIDENTALLY, I HAVE NOT HAD ANOTHER FLU SHOT SINCE THEN NOR HAVE I HAD THE FLU SINCE THEN.  Could be genetics, lifestyle or luck.  Regardless, I will decline the Covid vaccine.

My place in life (healthwise) is also a factor.  My rectal cancer is in remission and I am not undergoing any chemo/radiation treatment.  If I were then I would probably reconsider.

In my opinion, the choice of receiving the vaccine should remain with the individual.  Present the facts, void of politicalization, and let the individual citizen consider the risk/reward in the context of his/her situation.

jIM

Jim!

Good to see you here. Glad you are in remission. 

Tru

• pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    edited January 2021 #18
    Covid19

I will absolutely get the vaccine as soon as I am able ok in.  I didn't survive stage 3 colon cancer, with surgery chemo and radiation, and then, breast cancer, lumpetomy and radiation, to then end up on a ventilator or with long term problems from a virus that has a vaccine.   Let me be really blunt, why on earth would you not have the vaccine.  Have you not lost enough of your life to cancer, a horrible disease, with treatments that are necessary but awful.  Not to mention, not having the vaccine, increases your chance of getting Covid and passing it along to someone else who might die.  

• pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    edited January 2021 #19
    flutemon said:

YES

I am a polio survivor - born in 1955 just as the vaccine was being distributed. I had it as a 6 month old baby - spent time in an iron lung with no movement.  It totally impacted the course of my life.  So I am very pro-vaccine.

I am in the 1b group in Texas and have already had the first dose at UTSW where I get my cancer treatment.  Only real side-effect was a sore arm for a few days.  Since I now have mets in my lungs, I would rather have whatever protection I can get for those lungs - they are important :)  My wife is a teacher and I watch grandsons, so there's that. 

The hope for me is that with the vaccine I'll be able to be a little more engaged in the life I had 9 months ago.  If my stage 4 diagnosis means my life might be shorter, I have a lot to pack in still!  The bucket list is long and hard to work on when I'm staying at home and away from the general public.  I want to live my life while I can.

Just my 2 cents!

Covid Vaccine

Could not agree with you more.  And wishing you the best for the future. 

• airborne72
    airborne72 Member Posts: 296 Member
    edited January 2021 #20
    My logic

Obiviously this is a very sensitive topic from several aspects and I did not/do not mean to stir up anything, but this is my logic about the vaccine.  Allow those who want the vaccine to receive it.  Allow those who don't want the vaccine the freedom to refuse it.  If the vaccine is truly preventative then henceforth the only people who will host the virus will be those who elected to not take the vaccine.  The outcome will only affect them, not the vaccinated.  They will either die from it or not (statistically, not) and herd immunity for this virus will be achieved by the combined efforts of the vaccinated and the non vaccinated.

Each of us should be allowed the freedom to decide and then the responsibility to accept the consequences of our decision.  Much like saying no to chemo.

Jim

• Trubrit
    edited January 2021 #21

My logic

Obiviously this is a very sensitive topic from several aspects and I did not/do not mean to stir up anything, but this is my logic about the vaccine.  Allow those who want the vaccine to receive it.  Allow those who don't want the vaccine the freedom to refuse it.  If the vaccine is truly preventative then henceforth the only people who will host the virus will be those who elected to not take the vaccine.  The outcome will only affect them, not the vaccinated.  They will either die from it or not (statistically, not) and herd immunity for this virus will be achieved by the combined efforts of the vaccinated and the non vaccinated.

Each of us should be allowed the freedom to decide and then the responsibility to accept the consequences of our decision.  Much like saying no to chemo.

Jim

Nope

Hi Jim

You did not 'stir up anything'.

There are a few of us who commented on not wanting the vaccine.

Tru