hurt after bm

Brendaklein
Brendaklein Member Posts: 121 Member
edited March 2023 in Anal Cancer #1

It's been two years since my last treatment for anal cancer. I had a very hard bm about 3 weeks ago, since then I hurt after every bm. Maybe hemroid? Anyone else go through this? I see my surgeon on Friday. 

Comments

• Nutmeg1
    Nutmeg1 Member Posts: 21 Member
    edited August 2020 #2
    Hurting after BM

Yes, pain has hurt after some bm. I have noticed that if I am stressed or anxious I won't have a bm.  I have tried to keep my bowel movements regular, because trying to go to the toilet when even a little backed up, has ended with me being in so much pain, sweating in the agony of passing a bm. The stool can end up being too big and too hard to pass. The larger dynamics of the stool has caused pain and angst, with fresh bleeding again. 

The effort to pass a hardened and larger than usual stool, has been exhausting for me. Sitting on the toilet for my last difficult episode of a bm took nearly 2 hours. Being careful not to overpush and having patience with my new circumstance of having had anal cancer (nearly 3yrs ago), is taking some getting used to. After such a difficult time moving my bowels leaves me in internal pain and I have to lie down to recover. Moving a hardened stool feels like I am being torn and ripped up from insideof  my anus. This is not a normal event but when it does happen, I have to go with it and let my body do what it needs to do. There is no hurrying it up. 

Earlier in my recovery, a physiotherapist recommended that I try to help to pass the mucus by walking for about 10-15 minutes first thing in the morning and to just sit on the toilet, to get a regular bm. This practise has helped to get somewhat of a regular routine, but anything can disrupt going to the toilet. Sitting on the toilet at a regular time everyday can result with a bowel movement, even though I didn't feel the need to go.

Staying relaxed, knowing that I am close to a toilet, is my usual routine and even though I might go to the toilet a few times, throughout the day, I am pleased that some normality can occur. 

I do feel sympathy and understanding of your grief in carrying the internal aching. I hope you recover from your last trauma of an unexpected difficult bm xx

• Brendaklein
    edited September 2020 #3
    Nutmeg1 said:

Hurting after BM

Yes, pain has hurt after some bm. I have noticed that if I am stressed or anxious I won't have a bm.  I have tried to keep my bowel movements regular, because trying to go to the toilet when even a little backed up, has ended with me being in so much pain, sweating in the agony of passing a bm. The stool can end up being too big and too hard to pass. The larger dynamics of the stool has caused pain and angst, with fresh bleeding again. 

The effort to pass a hardened and larger than usual stool, has been exhausting for me. Sitting on the toilet for my last difficult episode of a bm took nearly 2 hours. Being careful not to overpush and having patience with my new circumstance of having had anal cancer (nearly 3yrs ago), is taking some getting used to. After such a difficult time moving my bowels leaves me in internal pain and I have to lie down to recover. Moving a hardened stool feels like I am being torn and ripped up from insideof  my anus. This is not a normal event but when it does happen, I have to go with it and let my body do what it needs to do. There is no hurrying it up. 

Earlier in my recovery, a physiotherapist recommended that I try to help to pass the mucus by walking for about 10-15 minutes first thing in the morning and to just sit on the toilet, to get a regular bm. This practise has helped to get somewhat of a regular routine, but anything can disrupt going to the toilet. Sitting on the toilet at a regular time everyday can result with a bowel movement, even though I didn't feel the need to go.

Staying relaxed, knowing that I am close to a toilet, is my usual routine and even though I might go to the toilet a few times, throughout the day, I am pleased that some normality can occur. 

I do feel sympathy and understanding of your grief in carrying the internal aching. I hope you recover from your last trauma of an unexpected difficult bm xx

Thank you so much for

Thank you so much for trsponding. I do fine for a while then it happens again. I bleed as well. It's always a little scary when I see blood. Does this happen with you?

• winnie25
    winnie25 Member Posts: 3 Member
    edited December 2020 #4

Thank you so much for

Thank you so much for trsponding. I do fine for a while then it happens again. I bleed as well. It's always a little scary when I see blood. Does this happen with you?

anal cancer

Personally, not so much the hard bm for awhile. But constant bleeding and bm's.  Was treated about a year ago chemo/radiation. But what I didn't know was how long the side effects would last?  Doctor now tells me it could last for years!   I am new to this forum, so just correct me if I go too far out of the linesFoot in Mouth

7243 Member Posts: 249 Member
    edited January 2021 #5

Thank you so much for

Yes I do have blood sometimes

Yes I do have blood sometimes...and rust colored, foul mucus.   It's anxiety producing... but likely normal after what you've been through.  however best to run it by your medical team if it's happening every BM.   Hang in there. 

• PainInTheBum
    PainInTheBum Member Posts: 97 Member
    edited January 2021 #6
    winnie25 said:

anal cancer

Personally, not so much the hard bm for awhile. But constant bleeding and bm's.  Was treated about a year ago chemo/radiation. But what I didn't know was how long the side effects would last?  Doctor now tells me it could last for years!   I am new to this forum, so just correct me if I go too far out of the linesFoot in Mouth

Last 2 weeks for me

I completed treatment about 1 1/2 years ago and have bleeding often.  Not a lot but enough that I notice it.  My doctor said that it was normal.

• Cheryl59
    Cheryl59 Member Posts: 12 Member
    edited January 2021 #7
    It's normal to hurt a little

It's normal to hurt a little after a bowel movement, and still have some blood , it depends on if the stool is softer or harder. Sometimes where my tumor was , it's scar tissue now, it hurts a little all day. My dr explained there was powerful radiation back there and the area is delicate after going through that. I still get very anxious as well. I just come back on here and read everyone's experiences and I remember what my dr told me

• Brendaklein
    edited February 2021 #8
    Thank you

Yes, it's ok for a while then it comes back. A little blood and pain.

• sumdav
    sumdav Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2021 #9
    Pain/Blood

I finished my treatments about 1.5 years ago.

I have VERY erratic BM's (loose, hard, liquid). When I have hard BM's I have bad pain and bleeding as well.

I did get a bidet that attaches to my toilet and washes my backside so I do not have to wipe, just have to pat dry, if it is still dirty I wash again and the 2nd time USUALLY does the trick.

I use the bidet EVERYTIME I go and it has helped with the irratition. You can get one pretty cheap on Amazon (about $30) and it connects directly to your water supply on the toilet and only takes a few mins to install....it has been a serious life saver and certanially helps aleviate the pain/irritation from wiping...

I hope this helps. 

• Brendaklein

Yes, I still hurt after bm. I'm 4 1/2 years our.

• Fengshoe
    Fengshoe Member Posts: 23 Member

If it's any comfort, I rarely have bleeding or painful bms at all any more. Eventually, the tissues will get healthier but will remain thin. I'm 6 years out of treatment.

I still struggle with regularity and consistency when I don't eat well. Healthy eating and fiber work best for me. Too much greasy, surgery or processed foods give me issues.

• debbieparis
    debbieparis Member Posts: 3 Member

I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago and my BMs are now finally not so painful. My Dr said I have strictures (scar tissue) that will surgically have to be removed but they bleed and hurt a lot. I use aquaphor before BMs and that seems to help some. Good luck and God bless.

• Brendaklein

Thank you for responding, it's almost 5 years for me now. Still hurt after BMs. I see my colon dr, soon for re-check. I use aquaphor as well. Also use metamucel and miralax everyday.