Biopsy report good or bad onc lying or not ? updated

worriedson714
worriedson714 Member Posts: 333 Member
edited December 2020 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hello All ,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  So my dad managed to have his biopsy they said it would take 10 days at least for results . But the next day the results where in his patient portal online does that mean anything good or bad that it's back so quickly ? My dad wants me to wait to look until we go to the onc he is very good at blocking this all out until he has to face it . So it's driving me a little crazy and I am wondering why there back so fast . 

Comments

• Tueffel
    Tueffel Member Posts: 327 Member
    edited December 2020 #2
    Depends

The result of the biopsy depends on what they took and how they processed it. 

I dont know what kind of biopsy they took. So, I am just explaining what kind of procedures they do after a sample is taken.

A Pap smear for example does not take many hours. The sample is taken, put on a slide, fixed, dyed, dried and then you can check for cervical cancer already. At least I assume they do it that way ;) The dying does not take a lot of time.

I once did check my own blood to look under a micriscope, so fluid takes less than an hour ;)

A frozen biopsy takes longer. You need to freeze the specimen, dye it(?), cut it into really thin slides. Most times these biopsies are done during a surgery to check borders.

I believe the most common biopsy is that you remove something from the biopsy, put it into formalin, then they put these specimen into wax and let it dry. Dying also appears at some point. They again cut very thin slides. This is the most precise way, gets stored for 30 years and takes the longest time. 

You see all are biopsies but very different with the time of results. It depends what kinds of biopsy your father had. So in other words it is possible to get the results that quick if a pathologists looks at it quick. 

I dont know why they said 10 days, maybe they want to discuss the results first? That doesnt mean that it has to be something bad. 

I know, waiting is horrible but I believe that you or your dad might not be able to understand the path report. I had this in university and I even asked my former teacher to explain what they have written for my dad, what it means. 

Try to enjoy a little the christmas time. Sometimes it is better to get for some time a distance to it. I just thought so much last week of my dad that I got so crazy and cried for hours. Try not to do it, it helps nothing and just makes you frustrated. 

• Pamcakes
    Pamcakes Member Posts: 112 Member
    edited December 2020 #3
    I don't think the oncologist

I don't think the oncologist would lie about the time frame. I think he may have been giving an estimate. when 
    my husband has tests, I worry and try to think of every worse case senerio so I a

can try and prepare for it. We've been dealing with this for almost 4 years now and I still worry and obsess over every dot and crossed t. I even convinced myself tgat if the doctor was more than a few minutes late getting into the exam room that meant something was terrifying and wrong. oh how after we get the results I always say why have you stressed yourself to the point of being sick As I have a moment of clarity that realizes not matter how much I worry or think of the worse case it will not change the outcome. However, I still do it every time! As a caregiver we want to find something we can control. As hard as it can be, try to let go of some of that. longer waiting periods for results and certainly not a late oncologist entering the room a few minutes late are not indicators of something worse! hang in there. Your father is lucky to have a son that cares so much!

• worriedson714
    edited December 2020 #4
    so thankful for this board

It's really good to chat with those who know what it's like to be a caregiver and thank you both for the great advice . I work hard everyday at not overworrying cause your both right it does no good . It's just hard cause I'm very ocd about the whole thing like pamcakes said I obsess and want to control everything . While my dad is very good at blocking it all out almost ignoring it until he has to deal with it . Like now he doesn't want to read the biopsy results in his patient portal cause he says does no good to know until talking to onc . Which I am glad that my dad can do cause it still allows him to have moments where things seem almost normal . Tueffel thanks for all the info I am always looking for great info about all this you seem to always have it . 

• Pamcakes
    Pamcakes Member Posts: 112 Member
    edited December 2020 #5

It's really good to chat with those who know what it's like to be a caregiver and thank you both for the great advice . I work hard everyday at not overworrying cause your both right it does no good . It's just hard cause I'm very ocd about the whole thing like pamcakes said I obsess and want to control everything . While my dad is very good at blocking it all out almost ignoring it until he has to deal with it . Like now he doesn't want to read the biopsy results in his patient portal cause he says does no good to know until talking to onc . Which I am glad that my dad can do cause it still allows him to have moments where things seem almost normal . Tueffel thanks for all the info I am always looking for great info about all this you seem to always have it . 

It's so much easier said than

It's so much easier said than done! One thing I remind myself is that I have to let my husband have as much control over this as he can. So maybe not reading the report is one way your dad is able to have some feeling of control over his life and the roller coaster ride of a cancer diagnosis. 

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    edited December 2020 #6
    I doubt they would lie about

I doubt they would lie about how long it normally takes. I mean, the next day seems really quick. Are you sure it is the results of the biopsy, and not say, bloodwork done at the same time? Only asking because you didn't look yet. If it is quicker, I would say it is more likely that there were less biopsies because less people want to have things done during the holidays, or maybe your oncologist asked if they could do his first, since I believed you mentioned his case is unique or bad or something. And it might also be that it wasn't that the biopsy would take 10 days as getting the results, then the oncologist reading the results, looking at your father's situation, and coming up with best option treatment plans. The waiting is horrible, trust me, I know, I got a scan yesterday and waiting until Tues for the results makes me a very grumpy, sleepless person. I think my whole point is, you need to feel you can trust the oncologist. Not think he is lying. If you can't trust this person, you should find another one. It is very important to feel comfortable with the oncologist so that you can feel comfortable with the treatment options put forth. 

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited December 2020 #7

OCD and Worrier

I'm also a terrible worrier and have OCD as well.  It's a terrible disorder and when someone tells you not to worry, it really doesn't help because that's the only thing my mind is dwelling on.  I've always been a worrier, but after my diagnosis it got really bad.  If your dad just wants to wait, guess you will just have to go along with what he wants.  Some people just don't want to know until their appointment which would be very hard for me.  Hoping that the time passes quickly so you both know.

Kim

• worriedson714
    edited December 2020 #8
    abita said:

I doubt they would lie about

I doubt they would lie about how long it normally takes. I mean, the next day seems really quick. Are you sure it is the results of the biopsy, and not say, bloodwork done at the same time? Only asking because you didn't look yet. If it is quicker, I would say it is more likely that there were less biopsies because less people want to have things done during the holidays, or maybe your oncologist asked if they could do his first, since I believed you mentioned his case is unique or bad or something. And it might also be that it wasn't that the biopsy would take 10 days as getting the results, then the oncologist reading the results, looking at your father's situation, and coming up with best option treatment plans. The waiting is horrible, trust me, I know, I got a scan yesterday and waiting until Tues for the results makes me a very grumpy, sleepless person. I think my whole point is, you need to feel you can trust the oncologist. Not think he is lying. If you can't trust this person, you should find another one. It is very important to feel comfortable with the oncologist so that you can feel comfortable with the treatment options put forth. 

Actually

I don't know for sure that it's the results didn't think of that and my dad did talk to his nurse nav . Changed onc's I liked this one but my dad didn't have a good feeling about him . 

• worriedson714
    edited December 2020 #9
    Pamcakes said:

It's so much easier said than

It's so much easier said than done! One thing I remind myself is that I have to let my husband have as much control over this as he can. So maybe not reading the report is one way your dad is able to have some feeling of control over his life and the roller coaster ride of a cancer diagnosis. 

true

This is true I think thats why my dad is not wanting to read the results plus he is scared of becoming stage 4 . He feels like it's a death sentence I think . So I tell him of all the stories of hope on here to try to show him that there is always hope cause he has had limited chemo . Just folfox and some oxilplatin so he has alot of options for treatment no matter what least I am hoping . 

• abita
    edited December 2020 #10

true

This is true I think thats why my dad is not wanting to read the results plus he is scared of becoming stage 4 . He feels like it's a death sentence I think . So I tell him of all the stories of hope on here to try to show him that there is always hope cause he has had limited chemo . Just folfox and some oxilplatin so he has alot of options for treatment no matter what least I am hoping . 

In 2018, I had 3 liver mets

In 2018, I had 3 liver mets so large that I had my entire left lobe and gall bladder removed. I am still fighting, as I had a recurrence, but have a decent quality of life. Personally, I believe that my "cure" will be discovered, so I intend to be around for a very long time. I was probably close to death when I was diagnosed, because I ignored how I felt until the pain was so great that I was immediately admitted to the hospital. I get your side of wanting to know the results. I must check the portal 5 or 6 hundred times between a scan and the results appt hoping someone put the results up.

FOLFOX is rough. Especially during winter. 

• worriedson714
    edited December 2020 #11
    abita said:

In 2018, I had 3 liver mets

In 2018, I had 3 liver mets so large that I had my entire left lobe and gall bladder removed. I am still fighting, as I had a recurrence, but have a decent quality of life. Personally, I believe that my "cure" will be discovered, so I intend to be around for a very long time. I was probably close to death when I was diagnosed, because I ignored how I felt until the pain was so great that I was immediately admitted to the hospital. I get your side of wanting to know the results. I must check the portal 5 or 6 hundred times between a scan and the results appt hoping someone put the results up.

FOLFOX is rough. Especially during winter. 

Wow

Wow thats another amazing story that proves there is always hope I'll be sure to share your story with my dad . That's exactly what I usually do with my dad's scans as much as I wish I knew the biopsy results right now it's good to see my dad . Getting some days where he seems like his old self again even though I hope he doesn't ignore it to much. Actually folfox didn't cause my dad much side effects none actually but the neuropathy . That didn't get bad until towards the end but the 10th dose they had to weaken it but that didn't work . So they ended up just ending it early I wish they would have change to a different chemo though . Cause we found out it had no affect on his tumor which ended up resulting in a failed surgery and him getting a colstomy bag and still having cancer .

• worriedson714
    Updated

Updated - Finally saw new onc and he said both biopsy results middle of back and tailbone are negative for any cancer . But he said he is worried about the stomach lining cause the pet scan showed " hot activity " and alot of something called foci cells or something in his stomach lining . Says he has to talk to tumor board and who did surgery a few months ago to see what they think or if surgeon seen this while in there . Says it's unlikely my dad is cancer free and he doesn't know what else could be in the stomach lining but cancer . Onc said they might want another biopsy of the stomach this time he seemed unsure why old onc did ones of back and tailbone . Says if it is cancer my dad is stage 4 and is looking at lifelong chemo . He also said if chemo works dad could have few more years with great response to chemo maybe longer . So in the same appointment we got good and bad news which has sent my emotions into a tail spin . Oddly my dad seems okay with this outcome since he didn't want no more surgery anyway me idk what to think anymore just wanted to update . I plan to get the pet scan cd in the morning and reach out to cancer treatment centers of america to get a second look at it just to make sure . 

• abita
    Foci cells jut means

Foci cells jut means microscopic. When the folfox shrunk my liver mets so small that the CT scan couldn't see them anymore, the pet scan found the foci cells that were still there. If chemo stops, they start growing into tumors again. At least mine did.

I was supposedly "cured" by my liver resection, but sadly had recurrence with my very first post chemo scan back in 2018. It felt like a gut punch, and I was unable to stand. So, I guess I am now on lifetime chemo. But, the way I stay positive, is I truly believe that I am doing this chemo to stay around for my "cure" to be developed. I believe in my heart that I will see my dream of ending up a liitle old cat lady. 

• worriedson714
    edited December 2020 #14
    abita said:

Foci cells jut means

Foci cells jut means microscopic. When the folfox shrunk my liver mets so small that the CT scan couldn't see them anymore, the pet scan found the foci cells that were still there. If chemo stops, they start growing into tumors again. At least mine did.

I was supposedly "cured" by my liver resection, but sadly had recurrence with my very first post chemo scan back in 2018. It felt like a gut punch, and I was unable to stand. So, I guess I am now on lifetime chemo. But, the way I stay positive, is I truly believe that I am doing this chemo to stay around for my "cure" to be developed. I believe in my heart that I will see my dream of ending up a liitle old cat lady. 

oh

Thanks for telling me that idk what foci cells where and that's exactly how I am trying to look at it . Lifelong chemo for my dad sucks but who knows what will happen a " cure " or chemo to work amazingly well who knows what can happen .