Sauerkraut juice.

Packed With Probiotics

Sauerkraut juice, due to the fermentation process, is rich in natural lactic acid, which inhibits the growth of undesired intestinal bacteria and encourages the growth of good bacteria. This makes sauerkraut juice an excellent choice for treating sluggish bowels and poor digestion. Drinking this tart juice not only benefits your body's digestive process, but it also acts as a laxative, helping to prevent constipation.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/277346-what-are-the-benefits-of-sauerkraut-juice/

Your gut is said to contain over 100 trillion microorganisms or "gut flora," which is more than 10 times the total number of cells in your body.

Sauerkraut contains probiotics, which are beneficial bacteria that act as the first line of defense against toxins and harmful bacteria. They can also improve your digestion and overall health . 

Probiotics like those in sauerkraut can help improve the bacterial balance in your gut after it's been disturbed by the use of antibiotics. This can help reduce or prevent antibiotic-provoked diarrhea . 

Research also shows that probiotics help reduce gas, bloating, constipation, diarrhea and symptoms linked to Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.  

Comments

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Interesting but yogurt has

Interesting but yogurt has probiotics and would taste better. Or you can get them in capsule form.

Jan

• gul1976
    gul1976 Member Posts: 42
    JanJan63 said:

Interesting but yogurt has

Interesting but yogurt has probiotics and would taste better. Or you can get them in capsule form.

Jan

Jan, sauerkraut juice is

Jan, sauerkraut juice is fermented cabbage juice. You can make it yourself , there are youtube videos how to make it not difficult. It's a strong prohibiotic like yogurt , kefir, but it's beneficial to get prohibiotics from different food.İn Germany you can buy them in organic shops in glass bottles. İf you google it you  can buy online  in their own website or via amazon. I don't have info about capsules better fresh juice in glass bottles or make it yourself then you have the salty cabbage and juice together. 

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited September 2018 #4
    Oh my goodness

I'm sorry but I'd never be able to do that.  Can't stand the smell of it and if it tasted anything like it smells it would make me sick.  Hope it works for you though.

Kim

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Sauerkraut

I was craving sauerkraut and sausage yesterday when I was hiking.  Odd, since I really do not eat food like that.  I will have to follow up and get some.  Cheers.

• mountainhiker
    mountainhiker Member Posts: 54
    gul1976 said:
    Then I should be bulletproof

If that were true, all the beer I drank in my younger, wilder years would protect me from anything - and I still got stage iv.

mountainhiker

• steveja
    steveja Member Posts: 41
    I don't have much respect for

I don't have much respect for 'livestrong' articles b/c of stuff like this.

The juice, if unheated, unpasteurized, can be a good probotic, similar to yogurt or capsule, but with some enterobacteria included.

The lactic acid, minor amounts of mineral ions and vitamins are ignorable - except it's quite high in salt.

The kraut itself (not juice) contains lots of fiber with the typical result on digestion&bowel activity, except the raffinose causes gas.

--

I use to love sauerkraut (and kimchi), but with a foot of sigmoid colon missing I can't have more than a forkful w/o the getting the runs. 

• Watersprite3
    Watersprite3 Member Posts: 31
    Fermented Sauerkraut

One thing that should be mentioned is that processed sauerkraut, like you buy in the grocery store, does not have the good probiotics because the processing kills them.   You can either ferment your own, or find a good source of naturally fermented sauerkraut.  I have a farmer's market near me that sells different kinds of fermented foods, but I have found that I can only eat a forkful of any of them.  Like Steveja above, I have a foot of sigmoid missing and certain things trigger my system.

When I was on chemo, I knew my digestive system was out of whack, but within 6 months of ending it, it had replenished itself.  I was advised not to eat fermented food or take probiotics when I was actively taking treatment.

Eileen

• sachinkhanna48
    sachinkhanna48 Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2020 #10

Fermented Sauerkraut

One thing that should be mentioned is that processed sauerkraut, like you buy in the grocery store, does not have the good probiotics because the processing kills them.   You can either ferment your own, or find a good source of naturally fermented sauerkraut.  I have a farmer's market near me that sells different kinds of fermented foods, but I have found that I can only eat a forkful of any of them.  Like Steveja above, I have a foot of sigmoid missing and certain things trigger my system.

When I was on chemo, I knew my digestive system was out of whack, but within 6 months of ending it, it had replenished itself.  I was advised not to eat fermented food or take probiotics when I was actively taking treatment.

Eileen

You're blessed to have a

You're blessed to have a farmer's market near you. I wish I can purchase real sauerkraut (not processed easily). Do you know any places near NYC where I can purchase Non-Processed Sauerkraut. 

• darcher
    darcher Member Posts: 304 Member
    edited November 2020 #11
    Why?

Why is it that anything that's alleged to be good for you have to be so gross tasting. Wouldn't it be nice if lots of donuts or a well marbled Ribeye steak were higly beneficial.  At least it's not deer placenta or Diatomaceous earth being pushed as a cure. I remember that nonsense from a couple years ago.