Biopsy this next week

I'm 72 yr old female. I've been sick over two weeks with swollen glands an infection what I thought type of cold. Went to ER Friday Oct 16 2020. Had numerous test done. Results indicate possible lymphoma. I'm to call oncologist tomorrow Monday for biopsy. Needles to say this is scary but I'm going to fight with all my might. Currently I feel like crap. Have no energy appetite almost nonexistant   I'm my hubby's care giver but things are reversed right now. 

i just needed to reach out and listen to whatever anyone wants to share with me. 
thank you GG

Comments

• cansur18
    cansur18 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2020 #2
    Congrats on your positive approach

I'm new to this community. Just read your post. Yes, it is scary. Thanks G-D it is treatable. I currenty have no cancer after having had a bone marrow transplant. However, having had lymphoma in 2015 and its return Feb. 2020, having had the biopsy's done helped set me in the right direction. We are not alone. Wishing you a speedy recovery and keep going forward.

• ShadyGuy
    ShadyGuy Member Posts: 896 Member
    Lymphoma ....

comes in many forms. Here is hoping your condition is just an infection. As for biopsy, excisions are generally best for accurate diagnosis. Needle biopsies not so much. Please share when you get a diagnosis. Lots of people on here with experience dealing with the various forms of lymphoma. All lymphoma is treatable but different types receive slightly different protocols. Make sure your condition is correctly typed and staged. That is important when seeking advice. Hope you start feeling better soon.

• GGc0ok
    GGc0ok Member Posts: 54 Member
    edited October 2020 #4
    cansur18 said:

Congrats on your positive approach

I'm new to this community. Just read your post. Yes, it is scary. Thanks G-D it is treatable. I currenty have no cancer after having had a bone marrow transplant. However, having had lymphoma in 2015 and its return Feb. 2020, having had the biopsy's done helped set me in the right direction. We are not alone. Wishing you a speedy recovery and keep going forward.

Thank you

cansur
    Thank you for your positive title and encouraging words 

• GGc0ok
    edited October 2020 #5
    ShadyGuy said:

Lymphoma ....

comes in many forms. Here is hoping your condition is just an infection. As for biopsy, excisions are generally best for accurate diagnosis. Needle biopsies not so much. Please share when you get a diagnosis. Lots of people on here with experience dealing with the various forms of lymphoma. All lymphoma is treatable but different types receive slightly different protocols. Make sure your condition is correctly typed and staged. That is important when seeking advice. Hope you start feeling better soon.

Lymphoma

ShadyGuy

thankyou for the information and well wishes

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited October 2020 #6
    It is not...

...lymphoma until a pathology report on the biopsy sample says that it is lymphoma. That phrase was taught to me years ago and I find that it is a formula which helps one to retain sanity. When we grew up, and even into our adulthood, we heard that "lymphatic cancer" was the end. As it turns out, several decades of amazing progress have been made in identifying, treating and controlling or conquering this enemy. Lymphoma of all types is far better understood, i.e. medical science did not even know that our immune systems had T-Lymphocytes as well as B Lymphocytes until 1962. Knowledge, looking back, was quite rudimentary and treatment was the same: bombard it with poison and hope for the best.

Some of that thinking still lingers, but there are so many options now. Some types of lymphoma are simply watched for months, years, even decades. Others are treated immediately and many fall somewhere in between. Lymphoma can be diabolically difficult to properly identify, as it mimics other conditions and vice versa. I strongly urge you to seek a second opionion on the pathology, as mistakes are not unheard of. I found out the frustrating way.

BIOPSY: In cases of suspected lymphoma, it is crucial that an entire lymph node is removed for pathological examination. So-called "needle biopdsies" do not provide a good sized sample of tidsdsue and have a higher chance of a false negative result. As well, lymph nodes have an internal structure ("architecture") that must be examined, as it will be gone if lymphoma has taken the node over. Think of peeling an orange and instead of find peel, segmennts,stm and seeds, inside is only a mass of clay. That is the difference between a normal lympho node and one that has become a tumor. Having a node out is relatively minor surgery. Walk in and walk out. "I" would insist on an entire node coming out, as that is your best chance at an accurate diagnosis.

Your attitude is excellent. For reasons not to be known in this life, I expected cancer and was certainly not disappointed. The blessing in that attitude was that it was not a panic situation, but rather a search for the nature of the disease and for the best and brightest to treat it. There is one area in which you also have experiece: you have been your husband's advocate and now comes the time to be your own advocate.

Do let us know how things go and, as you can see, there are many voices here desiring to help.  

• GGc0ok
    edited October 2020 #7
    po18guy said:

It is not...

...lymphoma until a pathology report on the biopsy sample says that it is lymphoma. That phrase was taught to me years ago and I find that it is a formula which helps one to retain sanity. When we grew up, and even into our adulthood, we heard that "lymphatic cancer" was the end. As it turns out, several decades of amazing progress have been made in identifying, treating and controlling or conquering this enemy. Lymphoma of all types is far better understood, i.e. medical science did not even know that our immune systems had T-Lymphocytes as well as B Lymphocytes until 1962. Knowledge, looking back, was quite rudimentary and treatment was the same: bombard it with poison and hope for the best.

Some of that thinking still lingers, but there are so many options now. Some types of lymphoma are simply watched for months, years, even decades. Others are treated immediately and many fall somewhere in between. Lymphoma can be diabolically difficult to properly identify, as it mimics other conditions and vice versa. I strongly urge you to seek a second opionion on the pathology, as mistakes are not unheard of. I found out the frustrating way.

BIOPSY: In cases of suspected lymphoma, it is crucial that an entire lymph node is removed for pathological examination. So-called "needle biopdsies" do not provide a good sized sample of tidsdsue and have a higher chance of a false negative result. As well, lymph nodes have an internal structure ("architecture") that must be examined, as it will be gone if lymphoma has taken the node over. Think of peeling an orange and instead of find peel, segmennts,stm and seeds, inside is only a mass of clay. That is the difference between a normal lympho node and one that has become a tumor. Having a node out is relatively minor surgery. Walk in and walk out. "I" would insist on an entire node coming out, as that is your best chance at an accurate diagnosis.

Your attitude is excellent. For reasons not to be known in this life, I expected cancer and was certainly not disappointed. The blessing in that attitude was that it was not a panic situation, but rather a search for the nature of the disease and for the best and brightest to treat it. There is one area in which you also have experiece: you have been your husband's advocate and now comes the time to be your own advocate.

Do let us know how things go and, as you can see, there are many voices here desiring to help.  

po 18guy

po 18guy

thank you for your wealth of information. I so appreciate your kind words. I made my appointment for tomorrow morning. Not sure if biopsy will be done then or not. They have all my results from all the testing I had done Friday the 16th.  My infection does feel better although lack of energy is still here. I continue antibiotics through Thursday.  
    Im going in there prepared for the worse and hoping it's not.  I will continue to say my prayers and put one foot in front of the other 

thank you

GG

• GGc0ok
    edited October 2020 #8
    Biopsy in the Morning

Hello All,

I'll be having my biopsy in the morning. I finished my antibiotic for infection on Thursday. I'm still very tired and lacking strength.  But I am eating. So that's a positive. I'm not scared I just want it over.  Please keep me in your positive thoughts and or prayers. 
    Thank You

GG

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    edited October 2020 #9
    GGc0ok said:

Biopsy in the Morning

Hello All,

I'll be having my biopsy in the morning. I finished my antibiotic for infection on Thursday. I'm still very tired and lacking strength.  But I am eating. So that's a positive. I'm not scared I just want it over.  Please keep me in your positive thoughts and or prayers. 
    Thank You

GG

Wellkommen !

I wish to welcome you here also, GG.

I was diagnosed in 2009 with highly advanced HL, and was 'clean' until about two weeks ago....damn the bad luck.  I have also had prostate cancer.

Shady, Po, and perhaps others discussed biopsies above specifically for Hematologic (blood) cancers.  The hematologic cancers are of course Leukemia, lymphoma, and Multiple Myeloma.  All are closely related, and one disease can fairly readily morph into another, but the most common transition (by far) is for lymphoma becoming a leukemia.

I just had my latest biopsy 12 days ago.  My surgeon stressed that the pathologists insist on a complete node today, and repeated that aspirational biopsies ('needle draws') are pretty close to worthless, although in some cases aspirational must be settled for, at least temporarily.

MY pathology group says on their website that most results are to the doctor 'withn 24 to 48 hours.'    I am now in Day 12 of waiting.....    I called pathology directly, and they said that due to the complexity of my node (and my previous diagnosis with a rare HL), they have sent my sample across the country to a facility that they use for second opinions.   I was told yesterday that I may have an additional wait of two weeks, for 'technical reasons'  (probably some people are on vacation).     So, in stead of a 24 hour wait, I am in a 25 DAY wait.   It just happens.

You must drive your care: become informed.  Think of cancer treatment as a drive-thru.  If you are asked to pull over and wait, and do not get anything for ten minutes, go inside and ask.  Most likely, they forgot you were there, or gave your stuff to someone else.  Ask questions, including 'stupid' ones, because if you have an odd question, it is probably because you were told idiotic, wrong stuff in the office to begin with. 

I had a dear friend dying of his 13 year battle with prostate cancer in 2012.  He was admitted as an inpatient for a week, due to horrible blood counts.  I went to pick him up, and asked the discharge nurse "if any of his meds would affect his cancer drugs."  She replied, "I have no indication on his chart that he HAS cancer."   I told her that the very hospital that we were standing in had treated him for PCa for 13 years.   I myself have a Board Certified pulmonologist for lung damage and shortness of breath.  He told me to my face five years ago that my lung fibrosis was from stomach acid, not Bleomycin, which is a drug that can cause fibrosis in limited cases (round 2%).   I had a CT two weeks ago, and the Radiologist wrote that, because my fibrosis is stable (has not changed), it must be from the massive chest trauma that I underwnet decades ago.   I was speaking to my pulmonologist about that report over the phone last week, and asked him a question; I could hear him reviewing his notes, and he said "fibrotic involvement due to Bleomycin treatments.'   I did not even challange him about it -- it is a moot point at this point.  He does  not even remeber his own diagnosis of me a few years earlier.   

The only point is that in a hospital, Nothing is impossible.  Get clarification.  Always ask for OPTIONS, which actually, oncologists are usually pretty willing to discuss and involve the patient in.

Good luck to you,

• GGc0ok

Wellkommen !

I wish to welcome you here also, GG.

I was diagnosed in 2009 with highly advanced HL, and was 'clean' until about two weeks ago....damn the bad luck.  I have also had prostate cancer.

Shady, Po, and perhaps others discussed biopsies above specifically for Hematologic (blood) cancers.  The hematologic cancers are of course Leukemia, lymphoma, and Multiple Myeloma.  All are closely related, and one disease can fairly readily morph into another, but the most common transition (by far) is for lymphoma becoming a leukemia.

I just had my latest biopsy 12 days ago.  My surgeon stressed that the pathologists insist on a complete node today, and repeated that aspirational biopsies ('needle draws') are pretty close to worthless, although in some cases aspirational must be settled for, at least temporarily.

MY pathology group says on their website that most results are to the doctor 'withn 24 to 48 hours.'    I am now in Day 12 of waiting.....    I called pathology directly, and they said that due to the complexity of my node (and my previous diagnosis with a rare HL), they have sent my sample across the country to a facility that they use for second opinions.   I was told yesterday that I may have an additional wait of two weeks, for 'technical reasons'  (probably some people are on vacation).     So, in stead of a 24 hour wait, I am in a 25 DAY wait.   It just happens.

You must drive your care: become informed.  Think of cancer treatment as a drive-thru.  If you are asked to pull over and wait, and do not get anything for ten minutes, go inside and ask.  Most likely, they forgot you were there, or gave your stuff to someone else.  Ask questions, including 'stupid' ones, because if you have an odd question, it is probably because you were told idiotic, wrong stuff in the office to begin with. 

I had a dear friend dying of his 13 year battle with prostate cancer in 2012.  He was admitted as an inpatient for a week, due to horrible blood counts.  I went to pick him up, and asked the discharge nurse "if any of his meds would affect his cancer drugs."  She replied, "I have no indication on his chart that he HAS cancer."   I told her that the very hospital that we were standing in had treated him for PCa for 13 years.   I myself have a Board Certified pulmonologist for lung damage and shortness of breath.  He told me to my face five years ago that my lung fibrosis was from stomach acid, not Bleomycin, which is a drug that can cause fibrosis in limited cases (round 2%).   I had a CT two weeks ago, and the Radiologist wrote that, because my fibrosis is stable (has not changed), it must be from the massive chest trauma that I underwnet decades ago.   I was speaking to my pulmonologist about that report over the phone last week, and asked him a question; I could hear him reviewing his notes, and he said "fibrotic involvement due to Bleomycin treatments.'   I did not even challange him about it -- it is a moot point at this point.  He does  not even remeber his own diagnosis of me a few years earlier.   

The only point is that in a hospital, Nothing is impossible.  Get clarification.  Always ask for OPTIONS, which actually, oncologists are usually pretty willing to discuss and involve the patient in.

Good luck to you,

Max thank you

Hi Max

thank you for your welcome and all your knowledge.  You've been through it all it seems. I agree about asking questions no matter how silly it may seem.  My biopsy was needle I believe I counted 5 or so clicks. Pathologist was there to verify lymph nodes tissues.  I had a breast biopsy years back which ended up being benign. 
    My hubby has pulmonary fibrosis as well. Also heart, and diabetes.  I'm his care giver. It's like the blind leading the blind here. But we're managing just fine. 
    I most certainly send you my positive thoughts and prayers for your results. You indeed have had more than your share. 
    I was also told that my samples may go out to different hospitals. I have an appointment next with with my oncologist.  
    i apprecrate all your knowledge, thank you

GG

• Confusing22
    Confusing22 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2020 #11
    Similar situation

I had swollen lymph nodes everywhere including groin, severe exhaustion, low grade fever, no appetitie, night sweats and weight loss. Felt so awful went to ER. Blood work came back low white blood count, neutropenic. They did a CAT scan with dye of pelvis found nothing sent me home told me to see an hematolgist. He sent me for a chest, pelvic, abdomen CAT scan with dye - came back multiple enlarged - particularly axillary nodes one 18mm in size - which is not huge. Had mammogram, and sonogram and they found nodes with thickened cortex so did a needle core biopsy - 3 punches. Came back clear. But I'm still tired, weak and feel "heavy" at night (hard to turn over so tired). Still not hungry. They are making me come back in 6 weeks for more blood work and consider taking out a node to look at the whole thing. Dr's seem to be praying attention but not able to figure out what's wrong

• GGc0ok
    edited October 2020 #12

Similar situation

I had swollen lymph nodes everywhere including groin, severe exhaustion, low grade fever, no appetitie, night sweats and weight loss. Felt so awful went to ER. Blood work came back low white blood count, neutropenic. They did a CAT scan with dye of pelvis found nothing sent me home told me to see an hematolgist. He sent me for a chest, pelvic, abdomen CAT scan with dye - came back multiple enlarged - particularly axillary nodes one 18mm in size - which is not huge. Had mammogram, and sonogram and they found nodes with thickened cortex so did a needle core biopsy - 3 punches. Came back clear. But I'm still tired, weak and feel "heavy" at night (hard to turn over so tired). Still not hungry. They are making me come back in 6 weeks for more blood work and consider taking out a node to look at the whole thing. Dr's seem to be praying attention but not able to figure out what's wrong

Similar Situation Confusing

hi Confusing, 

Im sorry that your going through this.  I did have my biopsy on this past Monday, also needle with at least 5 clicks or punches as you called them. I felt pretty good this am when I got up. After lunch I became extremely tired again. Went on the bed a couple hours.  I also lost my appetite the beginning of the month that lasted a couple weeks.  I had no fever except for one morning low grade. No night sweats. I haven had huge amount of weight loss just 8 lbs. But Iam eating but at a certain point I can't eat anymore. Oncoligist said my spleen was slightly enlarged so that's probably why.  I go to Oncologist Nov 2 for results. I'm prepared for the worst but hoping for the best. I just want it bombarded if it's Lymphoma/leukemia 

I know how frustrating this can be but we must hang in there and support one another

thank you

GG

• GGc0ok
    edited November 2020 #13
    Tomorrow’s appointment

It's been a week since my biopsy. My Oncologist appointment is tomorrow morning. I'm anxious to get my results.  I'm not scared I just want this to have a diagnosis. Whatever it is I want treatment ASAP.  I just need maybe a pep talk or words of wisdom. From what I've read on this forum so many here have kind hearts with so much knowledge. 
    Send me positive thoughts and for those with faith a prayer wouldn't hurt. 
    Thank You

GG

• Sandy Ray
    Sandy Ray Member Posts: 143 Member
    edited November 2020 #14
    Praying

Praying for you. The waiting sometimes is the hardest part.

Sandy

• GGc0ok
    edited November 2020 #15
    Sandy Ray said:

Praying

Praying for you. The waiting sometimes is the hardest part.

Sandy

Thank you Sandy Ray
    GG

Thank you Sandy Ray

GG

• GGc0ok
    edited November 2020 #16
    Got my Diagnosis

Hi All

I had my appointment this morning. Diagnosis CLL/SLL. I'm scheduled for pet scan which they'll call and make appointment.  Also waiting for FISH biopsy.  All lab was good.  Treatment depending on the later.  Otherwise it's monitoring every 3 months. 
    That's it for today. I'm concentrating on all the positives the doctor talked to me about. 

Be well

GG

• FLmama
    FLmama Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2020 #17
    {{hugs}}

I am sorry- but if only monitoring, that sounds positive! How are you holding up?

• GGc0ok
    edited November 2020 #18
    FLmama said:

{{hugs}}

I am sorry- but if only monitoring, that sounds positive! How are you holding up?

FLmama

Hi FLmama

I'm holding up pretty good. I'm focusing on the positives. Need the pet CT and the rest of the biopsy results.  Once all the testing is done then plan of action will be decided.  I said to him can't they just bombard the F----r.  He chuckled and said this may be a monitoring every 3 months with no treatment at this time.  He thinks I may have had this for sometime.  Which I've read that as well. I've been pretty healthy the past few years with the exception of getting a cold/virus 2-3 years ago which I did bring to the attention of my GP my swollen glands by my collar bone.  But I got better swelling went down. That was that.  He asked me about having night sweats where I need to change PJ's and sheets, I said No, what about a fever of 101+ I said No, what about losing 10% of my body weight I said No. I told him I'm getting some energy back so that I'm able to get some things done around the house. But I still have bouts of being tired. Also currently some constipation. Which I'm taking colace for that. I asked him if coloring my hair all these years could have made me sick.  He chuckled and said No.  

He said I'm not going to tell you don't worry because I know you will, but don't lose any sleep over it.  
    So for today that's what I know.  I will continue to put one foot in front of the other get the testing that is needed done.  Then take it from there.  
    My biopsy tests have already had second opinions which they concur with diagnosis. 

Hugs to you my warrior

GG

• FLmama
    FLmama Member Posts: 20
    GGc0ok said:

FLmama

Hi FLmama

I'm holding up pretty good. I'm focusing on the positives. Need the pet CT and the rest of the biopsy results.  Once all the testing is done then plan of action will be decided.  I said to him can't they just bombard the F----r.  He chuckled and said this may be a monitoring every 3 months with no treatment at this time.  He thinks I may have had this for sometime.  Which I've read that as well. I've been pretty healthy the past few years with the exception of getting a cold/virus 2-3 years ago which I did bring to the attention of my GP my swollen glands by my collar bone.  But I got better swelling went down. That was that.  He asked me about having night sweats where I need to change PJ's and sheets, I said No, what about a fever of 101+ I said No, what about losing 10% of my body weight I said No. I told him I'm getting some energy back so that I'm able to get some things done around the house. But I still have bouts of being tired. Also currently some constipation. Which I'm taking colace for that. I asked him if coloring my hair all these years could have made me sick.  He chuckled and said No.  

He said I'm not going to tell you don't worry because I know you will, but don't lose any sleep over it.  
    So for today that's what I know.  I will continue to put one foot in front of the other get the testing that is needed done.  Then take it from there.  
    My biopsy tests have already had second opinions which they concur with diagnosis. 

Hugs to you my warrior

GG

GG

Well I think thatoverall that is truly encouraging news... When will you do the PET? I know that will be next for me as well. I was stunned at the cost! Ranges from 950-3500 with my (sh*tty) insurance! I couldn't get pre-auth for that unti I had my CT scans done. 

My doc said that the PET would be first so they would know what to biopsy, unless it's abdominal that lights up, where I would see an interventional radiologist (I think I've got that right.)

You do sound healthy without too many of the typical complaints- that's got to be good! I too consider myself healthy- never sick, I am not oveweight, I eat right and I am a runner but I do have Hasimoto thyroiditis and some autoimmune issues- I believe that can be a precursor. I'm sure I will learn a lot more about all of this in the months to come...

My scans (neck, chest, abdomen and pelvis) are tomorrow morning. I cried a little today but trying to stay positive for sure. I don't want to hear that that it's lymphoma but I do want to know what it is to begin fighting it. 

I guess I am nervous becuase it's 2 AM and here I am instead of sleeping. Going to try for that now. Hugs right back to you!

• ShadyGuy
    ShadyGuy Member Posts: 896 Member
    edited November 2020 #20
    FLmama said:

GG

Well I think thatoverall that is truly encouraging news... When will you do the PET? I know that will be next for me as well. I was stunned at the cost! Ranges from 950-3500 with my (sh*tty) insurance! I couldn't get pre-auth for that unti I had my CT scans done. 

My doc said that the PET would be first so they would know what to biopsy, unless it's abdominal that lights up, where I would see an interventional radiologist (I think I've got that right.)

You do sound healthy without too many of the typical complaints- that's got to be good! I too consider myself healthy- never sick, I am not oveweight, I eat right and I am a runner but I do have Hasimoto thyroiditis and some autoimmune issues- I believe that can be a precursor. I'm sure I will learn a lot more about all of this in the months to come...

My scans (neck, chest, abdomen and pelvis) are tomorrow morning. I cried a little today but trying to stay positive for sure. I don't want to hear that that it's lymphoma but I do want to know what it is to begin fighting it. 

I guess I am nervous becuase it's 2 AM and here I am instead of sleeping. Going to try for that now. Hugs right back to you!

PET

In my experience a PET includes a CT scan. The CT is needed to accurately locate the hotspots picked up by the PET. 

• GGc0ok
    edited November 2020 #21
    FLmama

Hi FLmama

been checking the boards to see if you've added any updates.  Thinking about you. I know you said you were going to have your scans. Hopefully you've had that done. 
    Sending you my positive thoughts and prayers.  We got this!!

Hugs ? 

GG