hyperbaric oxygen therapy for post radiation therapy??

proudvet3
proudvet3 Member Posts: 8 Member

Comments

• hewhositsoncushions
    hewhositsoncushions Member Posts: 411 Member
    And...?

And...?

• proudvet3
    edited September 2020 #3
    hyperbaric oxygen therapy for prostate cancer

is anyone familiar with or had experiace with this rx..my docter has advised that it can help

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited September 2020 #4
    Treatment?

Hi,

Have not heard of it for use after radiation, looks like some people have used it.  Here a link:

https://www.uclahealth.org/hyperbaric/Workfiles/clinical_updates/hyperbaric/HyperRad-01-15-13.pdf

Dave 3+4

• proudvet3
    edited September 2020 #5

Treatment?

Hi,

Have not heard of it for use after radiation, looks like some people have used it.  Here a link:

https://www.uclahealth.org/hyperbaric/Workfiles/clinical_updates/hyperbaric/HyperRad-01-15-13.pdf

Dave 3+4

Thanks for the info.....gives me some hope as my post rad rx has been rocky at best...thanks again

• proudvet3

And...?

And...?

my dr. is considering it for my radiation proctitis wondering if anyone has experience with it

• SV
    SV Member Posts: 182 Member
    Wow! This looks promising

Wow! This looks promising especially if covered by Medicare. Has anyone tried this yet?

• proudvet3
    edited September 2020 #8
    SV said:

Wow! This looks promising

Wow! This looks promising especially if covered by Medicare. Has anyone tried this yet?

I have an appointment with my dr next week to discuss what is next......will let you know what he says

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,315 Member
    edited October 2020 #9
    Worth trying

I read on another prostate cancer forum that one patient with serious radiation proctitis really benefitted from this therapy.

Worth trying IMHO.

• proudvet3
    edited October 2020 #10
    Old Salt said:

Worth trying

I read on another prostate cancer forum that one patient with serious radiation proctitis really benefitted from this therapy.

Worth trying IMHO.

thanks it sounds hopefull could not get any worse...radiation rx went well the affects of the radiation are devastating at this point

• proudvet3

Treatment?

Hi,

Dave 3+4

hyperbaeric oxygen

thanks it sounds promising

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,641 Member
    HBO

There have been some discussions on  HBO here before. This is used to treat inner wounds or sores acquired from treatments for prostate cancer (RP and RT) that have not healed completely. However there are some reservations in treating radiation scars because it may help in the survival of the cancerous cells that received the blow but still managed to duplicate.

HBO induces the creation of newer blood vessels (angiogenesis) at the area of the wound to provide oxygen for the healing of the tissue. The bandit will also enjoy receiving the extra androgens carried by these newer blood vessels to its doors steps. This is the environment needed by the cancer to continue its path in proliferation.  Surely this is not what HBO clinics like to listen and much controversy has been created among researchers and doctors. There are many papers in favor as many against because the bandit has not the same characteristics in all the patients, as some form solid tumors and others do not.

In making a final decision, one needs to consider if HBO is the best option for his case because not everyone has successfully benefited from the therapy. I recommend you to get second opinions on the matter from oncologists experienced in PCa treatment.

Here is a link favorable to HBO which I think being what you want to read;

https://www.uhms.org/images/MEDFAQs/October-21-2016/Feldmeier_HBO_and_Malignancy.pdf

Best

VGama