One kidney and intermittent fasting diet. Possible?

Everson
Everson Member Posts: 1

Hi everyone!

I hope all are well and safe in these strange times we are living.

I was diagnosed with kidney cancer, last year, and one of the kidneys have been removed.

Well... I've got a few kilos too much during the last months and want to get back to normal shape.

The complication part is that I can't do too many sports at the moment. I also had a tendon rupture last year...

Anyway, life goes on and I would like to try the Intermittent Fasting diet.

It is OK to stay without eating for long periods when a person has just one kidney?

All the best to all, take care and be good!

Comments

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 237 Member
    You need input from a

You need input from a nephrologist and a dietician who specializes in kidney issues.

• eug91
    eug91 Member Posts: 471 Member
    intermittent fasting

I've been having great success with intermittent fasting. I tried 16/8, but that did nothing for me. The past four months I've been on 5/2, and it's been AMAZING.

My doctor said that I.F. is fine, but stressed the importance of staying hydrated. Some people tend to drink less water when fasting, which is bad bad bad. Keep your kidney(s) happy with plenty of water. 

But checking with your doctor like AliceB suggested is the best way to go. 

Good luck! 

• citizenklaw
    citizenklaw Member Posts: 61 Member
    Color me intrigued...

eug91,

I am intrigued. Does a 5/2 mean 5 days eating and 2 fasting?

I know I could search, but I'm here. I might as well ask. LOL!

• eug91
    eug91 Member Posts: 471 Member

Color me intrigued...

eug91,

I am intrigued. Does a 5/2 mean 5 days eating and 2 fasting?

I know I could search, but I'm here. I might as well ask. LOL!

HA HA!

Yes, 5/2 I.F. means five days of normal eating - and two days of "fasting" (under 600 calories/day). The first time doing it was really hard, but it gets easy - and it's worked wonders for me.