Low Iron worries

worriedson714
worriedson714 Member Posts: 333 Member
edited August 2020 in Colorectal Cancer #1

So my dad is due for his 1st pet scan next week now the doc tells us his iron is low so I am freaking out . Cause during his treatment he bleed alot which made his iron low . So my question is could low iron mean that his cancer has spread ? I tried to look online for a answer can't find nothing doc says it could be a number of things . I would be grateful for any help is this cause I am already worried about the pet scan before surgery now this (sigh) 

Comments

• Tueffel
    Tueffel Member Posts: 327 Member
    edited August 2020 #2
    Anemia

I cant tell you how cancer might affect the iron levels. It might be better to check anemia with colon cancer. Anemia is the medical term. 

Do you have a lab report from your dad? Is only the Hgb changed or even MCV? The Hgb indicates if it is anemia. The MCV can further help a doctor to identify which might be the cause. 

Getting anemia because of low iron is quite common and does not have to mean something bad like the cancer spread. When you have an ongoing inflammation iron is normally low, pregnant womencan have low iron. Even normal completely healthy women do have anemia once a month. What I want to say is that it does not has to mean something bad especially if your father had bleedings the last few weeks...

Unfortunately I can not help you with cancer and anemia because I dont know it but your dad has an appointment next week so you can ask. But I just wanted to say that low iron does not have to mean something terrible

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 714 Member
    edited August 2020 #3
    Yes on everything Tueffel

Yes on everything Tueffel said!

I also want to mention for hgb and a few other related markers that 2 TBSP liverwurst a day is very good for raising markers naturally.  Just look up the benefits/nutrition of liverwurst and see if your dad will try it.

• Real Tar Heel
    Real Tar Heel Member Posts: 307 Member
    If your father had anemia

If your father had anemia *during treatment only* then it is likely that the chemo was the cause. FOLFOX kept my hemoglobin low. It will take time to recover. That said, the thing that led me to seek treatment that led to the discovery of the tumor was anemia. Low iron can mean a lot of things, not necessarily anemia even, so wait it out. Good luck.

• worriedson714
    Thanks guys

@Tueffel my dad just had that lab test today there trying to find the cause 

@snapdragon My dad loves liverwurst but hasn't had it in a while I just mentioned it to him we didn't know it had the benefits we are getting some soon :)

@real tar heel my dad had anemia before treatment had many blood transfusions it was so bad and then during treatment . My dad hasn't been on chemo in over six months would it take that long to recover ? 

Thanks for all your help guys really it's huge my dad has been so lucky and blessed by god to not have his cancer spread . So it's hard not to worry about it spreading you guys help me out alot just pointing on it can be other things .

• Real Tar Heel
    Real Tar Heel Member Posts: 307 Member

Thanks guys

@Tueffel my dad just had that lab test today there trying to find the cause 

@snapdragon My dad loves liverwurst but hasn't had it in a while I just mentioned it to him we didn't know it had the benefits we are getting some soon :)

@real tar heel my dad had anemia before treatment had many blood transfusions it was so bad and then during treatment . My dad hasn't been on chemo in over six months would it take that long to recover ? 

Thanks for all your help guys really it's huge my dad has been so lucky and blessed by god to not have his cancer spread . So it's hard not to worry about it spreading you guys help me out alot just pointing on it can be other things .

Low hemoglobin is the only

Low hemoglobin is the only thing in my blood work that has not returned to normal (it's still just below). I was lucky not to need transfusions and I was taking iron supplements for a while.

I had a nice few months after my last clean CT scan mostly not thinking about the little things that could maybe possible indicate a return of tumors. None of the little things I worried about meant anything in the end. It was only a scan + CEA number that told me something definitive. So it's hard but you have to avoid the doubt and rely on the doctors and medical evidence. If you get bogged down in questioning every little think it may drive you bananas.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Treatment

Treatment, surgery and all that your dad has gone through can sometimes be the culprit but it is good that the doctor is working on why his counts are off.  Hope they can figure it out and his counts go back to normal.

Kim

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited August 2020 #8
    Anemia is one of the ways I

Anemia is one of the ways I was led to the sphigmoidascopy that saved my life. I was in Vegas and saw a blood drive at the Palms. I thought it would be nice to pause the partying/gambling and donate. I'd always had abundant iron in my blood, they could split the apheresis donations because it was so high. At this drive they told me I was nearly anemic, then the next morning's shower saw some pink droplets falling. I made the appt. the moment I got home. Thirteen years, four major surgeries, and one full course of FOLFOX later, I take an iron suppliment pill every day, but I never seem very high on the iron test, just enough above the anemia line. Low iron may have helped warn me, but living with it I still survived to be NED for almost 6 years now, so take my tale for what it's worth......................................................Dave......PS: liverwurst, mayo, touch of mustard, on rye or sourdough. Shoot, now I'm hungry and wanting!!

• worriedson714
    edited August 2020 #9

Anemia is one of the ways I

Anemia is one of the ways I was led to the sphigmoidascopy that saved my life. I was in Vegas and saw a blood drive at the Palms. I thought it would be nice to pause the partying/gambling and donate. I'd always had abundant iron in my blood, they could split the apheresis donations because it was so high. At this drive they told me I was nearly anemic, then the next morning's shower saw some pink droplets falling. I made the appt. the moment I got home. Thirteen years, four major surgeries, and one full course of FOLFOX later, I take an iron suppliment pill every day, but I never seem very high on the iron test, just enough above the anemia line. Low iron may have helped warn me, but living with it I still survived to be NED for almost 6 years now, so take my tale for what it's worth......................................................Dave......PS: liverwurst, mayo, touch of mustard, on rye or sourdough. Shoot, now I'm hungry and wanting!!

Now I'm hungry to

Wow 6 years NED thats bada$$ congrats and my dad's doc said it's from his rectal cancer said it's pretty common so that makes sense with it helping you be dianogsed they got him going in for iron infusions before his surgery so hopefully that helps .