Stanford Cancer Survivorship Program

Bay Area Guy
Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member

Well, I had my four year appointment Today.  It was a video appointment and it was with a nurse practitioner.  Because everything had gone so smoothly with the surgery, the only follow-up I've ever done with 5he surgeon was at six months.  The rest have been physician's assistants or, like today, a nurse practitioner.  As I noted on another thread, all was fine and they're cutting me loose from further follow up with urologic oncology.  Instead, they're going to set me up with their Cancer Survivorship Program.  I was told they could arrange the sc@ns I'd like to continue to get, but they thought ultrasound would be better than CT because of the radiation.  So that's pretty good.  And since I'm starting on Medicare in a few months and I have great add-on insurance through a former employer, it's perfect timing.  Love the services Stanford provides.

Comments

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited June 2020 #2
    That sounds pretty good.

After I had the 2 recurrences, about 5 years after the 3rd surgery, the Dr. went to US of the abdomen/pelvis; and because of the mets to the liver, also a chest x-ray.  We don't have a Survivorship Program here, but I've seen what the one in Seattle does, and it is probably similar.

Today, I enter the next phase of having one kidney...seeing a nephrologist.  My eGFR has slowly dropped and I'm in the 3B range.  Yuck.

Good luck on your journey-pleasant I hope.

Hugs,

donna_lee

• Bay Area Guy
    edited June 2020 #3
    donna_lee said:

That sounds pretty good.

After I had the 2 recurrences, about 5 years after the 3rd surgery, the Dr. went to US of the abdomen/pelvis; and because of the mets to the liver, also a chest x-ray.  We don't have a Survivorship Program here, but I've seen what the one in Seattle does, and it is probably similar.

Today, I enter the next phase of having one kidney...seeing a nephrologist.  My eGFR has slowly dropped and I'm in the 3B range.  Yuck.

Good luck on your journey-pleasant I hope.

Hugs,

donna_lee

Thanks Donna.  I'm pretty

Thanks Donna.  I'm pretty sure it will be pleasant.....and probably interesting.

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    edited June 2020 #4
    My second primary cancer results....

During my baseline scans after I was first diagnosed, my thyroid lit up.  Mets to the thyroid was not unheard of, but my doctor thought it was more likely a second primary cancer.  He was right--a couple of days after my surgery I traveled back to Rochester so doctors could do a biopsy of my thyroid.  Turns out it was papillary thyroid cancer and a month later I was on the table again for a thyroidectomy.  I've been traveling to Rochester for the annual thyroid US ever since.  In my last report, they mentioned they will move me to the Mayo cancer survivor program if my next scan is clear.  I'm not sure what this involves, but some strange sense of relief--even a sense of victory came over me as I read the words in the report.   I'm hopeful I see the same words in the kidney scan report later this week. 

Wishing you continued good health, Bay!

Stub   

• a_oaklee
    a_oaklee Member Posts: 566 Member
    Sounds great, but what is it?

What is a Cancer Survivorship Program?  Please.

• Bay Area Guy
    edited June 2020 #6
    a_oaklee said:

Sounds great, but what is it?

What is a Cancer Survivorship Program?  Please.

This is an excerpt from the

This is an excerpt from the website.

Our program offers you personalized visits with clinicians who can meet with you on a regular basis. Their expertise includes not only cancer care, but an understanding of the specific issues you and others may encounter before, during, and after the treatment process.

I had mentioned that I was interested in getting annual scans because of previous issues with my intestines (twisting) and a family history of aortal difficulties (my dad had a weakened aorta and my paternal grandfather died of a ruptured aorta).  Of course, I also mentioned that it would be nice to keep monitoring the kidney I had sliced and diced.  The nurse practitioner I had for this video appointment said that the cancer survivorship program could arrange for that as part of a continuing process to ensure that patients have access to a high standard of care even after our cancer is considered cured.

• Bay Area Guy
    edited June 2020 #7
    stub1969 said:

My second primary cancer results....

During my baseline scans after I was first diagnosed, my thyroid lit up.  Mets to the thyroid was not unheard of, but my doctor thought it was more likely a second primary cancer.  He was right--a couple of days after my surgery I traveled back to Rochester so doctors could do a biopsy of my thyroid.  Turns out it was papillary thyroid cancer and a month later I was on the table again for a thyroidectomy.  I've been traveling to Rochester for the annual thyroid US ever since.  In my last report, they mentioned they will move me to the Mayo cancer survivor program if my next scan is clear.  I'm not sure what this involves, but some strange sense of relief--even a sense of victory came over me as I read the words in the report.   I'm hopeful I see the same words in the kidney scan report later this week. 

Wishing you continued good health, Bay!

Stub   

Thanks Stub!  Your kidney

Thanks Stub!  Your kidney results will be fine.  We'll be toasting in no time, along with all of our mid-2016 colleagues.

• a_oaklee
    a_oaklee Member Posts: 566 Member
    edited June 2020 #8
    Thankyou for the information.

Thankyou for the information.  I went to the website to check it out.  After you get involved in this program, I would really like to hear how its working out for you.

My husband had/has a Palliative Care doctor throughout this entire process.  From what I read on the website, it sounds like it is similar.  She is my favorite doctor, and I think it would be great for everyone to have that experience.  She guided us in having the best quality of life.  The visits lasted an hour.  We couldnt get that time and attention from surgeons and oncologists.  I understand that they deal with their speciality, and make referrals.  

• Bay Area Guy
    edited June 2020 #9
    a_oaklee said:

Thankyou for the information.

Thankyou for the information.  I went to the website to check it out.  After you get involved in this program, I would really like to hear how its working out for you.

My husband had/has a Palliative Care doctor throughout this entire process.  From what I read on the website, it sounds like it is similar.  She is my favorite doctor, and I think it would be great for everyone to have that experience.  She guided us in having the best quality of life.  The visits lasted an hour.  We couldnt get that time and attention from surgeons and oncologists.  I understand that they deal with their speciality, and make referrals.  

I'm not sure when I will be

I'm not sure when I will be getting an appointment.  The appointment notes do say that I'll be referred to them.  However, since I have no idea if my present insurance would pay for this, I'll likely wait for a couple of months when I get on to Medicare (sigh at getting old) and a good Medicare supplement plan that a former employee offers for their retirees.  I've looked up the information there and they seem to indicate the I can self-refer to pretty much any doctor that takes Medicare.

• jazzgirl
    jazzgirl Member Posts: 240 Member

I'm not sure when I will be

I'm not sure when I will be getting an appointment.  The appointment notes do say that I'll be referred to them.  However, since I have no idea if my present insurance would pay for this, I'll likely wait for a couple of months when I get on to Medicare (sigh at getting old) and a good Medicare supplement plan that a former employee offers for their retirees.  I've looked up the information there and they seem to indicate the I can self-refer to pretty much any doctor that takes Medicare.

Medicare??

Never, ever, never would I guess from your photo that you are near joining the Medicare cohort! Must be all the interesting travel - and sushi. I'll be asking my doc some insurance questions, and whether there is a Stanford-like program near me. Take care -

• Bay Area Guy
    jazzgirl said:

Medicare??

Never, ever, never would I guess from your photo that you are near joining the Medicare cohort! Must be all the interesting travel - and sushi. I'll be asking my doc some insurance questions, and whether there is a Stanford-like program near me. Take care -

Ah. bless you child.  LOL.

Ah. bless you child.  LOL. The picture is from our one trip to Beijing, about 8 years ago.  We went with my wife's sister and her husband, and met one of her cousins from Singapore there for five or six days.  The picture is from a park across from the Forbidden City.