Cancer is now causing me severe pain **UPDATED**

abrub
abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
edited June 2020 in Colorectal Cancer #1

**UPDATE**

Surgery is now scheduled at Sloan Kettering for July 28.  The feeling is that chemo won't do much, but they still want me to complete 4 cycles (1 down, 3 to go) before surgery.  Plus I need 8 weeks off Avastin (had it 2 weeks ago; discontinued as of now).  Surgery would be sooner, but my surgeon is going on vacation July 19-26, and doesn't want to do surgery and run.  Meanwhile, pain is increasing.  I'm also on Gabapentin now, though that doesn't seem to be helping.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Original post:

The tumors in my belly have grown and are now pressing on nerves, causing severe lower right quadrant pain, especially when I walk.  Also, more tumors have appeared.  Not operable right now; going back on Folfiri this week, hoping to shrink the tumors that are pressing on nerves.  This is the first time that the cancer itself has caused pain.  Up until now, all the discomfort and pain has been due to treatment.

Are we having fun yet?

Alice

Comments

• Gail E
    Gail E Member Posts: 19
    edited May 2020 #2
    Chemo and pain

I was off chemo and having pain that sent me to ER and eventually 24-7 morphine. Back on chemo and pain and morphine gone! I still hate chemo but not As much. I hope It works for you.

• abrub
    edited May 2020 #3
    Gail E said:

Chemo and pain

I was off chemo and having pain that sent me to ER and eventually 24-7 morphine. Back on chemo and pain and morphine gone! I still hate chemo but not As much. I hope It works for you.

Gabepentin

I was just started on Gabepentin, and it seems to be helping somewhat.  Meanwile, chemo for now.  Surgical options still possible.

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 714 Member
    edited May 2020 #4
    Oh abrub,  I hate to hear

Oh abrub,  I hate to hear about this!  I hope you get pain relief and soon.  You are strong from everything I've read from you!

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 783 Member
    edited May 2020 #5
    Sorry to hear this abrub.

Sorry to hear this abrub. Gabopentin is good for nerve pain. Take care.

• AnneO1965
    AnneO1965 Member Posts: 182 Member
    edited May 2020 #6
    Oh Alice... I'm so sorry to

Oh Alice... I'm so sorry to read this... Gabapentin has helped me alot.. I also have the tylenol with codein for when things get really bad. Maybe ask your doc about that?  Anyway, I'm thinking about you and I hope things ease up soon.  Virtual hugs!

• abrub
    edited May 2020 #7
    AnneO1965 said:

Oh Alice... I'm so sorry to

Oh Alice... I'm so sorry to read this... Gabapentin has helped me alot.. I also have the tylenol with codein for when things get really bad. Maybe ask your doc about that?  Anyway, I'm thinking about you and I hope things ease up soon.  Virtual hugs!

I have tramadol as well

However, the tramadol doesn't do much for the pain.  Codeine makes me sick, so I like to avoid it.  However, I am finding the gabepentin to be helpful.

Alice

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    I am so sorry Alice

I was going to suggest gabapentin I am glad it's helping. I hope the chemo shrinks things and gives you more relief. 

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    I'm so sorry

I'm so sorry to hear that.  You have been through so much these past years, and hopefully the doctor can give you something to help with the discomfort if the gabapentine doesn't quite do the trick.  Wishing you the best.

Kim

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    edited May 2020 #10
    That sucks. Sorry to hear

That sucks. Sorry to hear this. I hope you get a break soon. Sending love and strength.

k

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited May 2020 #11
    Sorry to hear this, Abrub

but I am glad you are getting some relief from Gabapentin.  

But it is hard hearing about the new tumours.  Here's hoping that the Folfiri does the job and knocking them down and getting them under control.   Will they be able to do surgery in the future? 

Thinking of you. 

Tru

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited May 2020 #12
    I'm sorry Alice, it's tough

I'm sorry Alice, it's tough to have any quality of life with that pain, I'm sure. I'm sort of busy one day and off my feet the next, due to the ''bone on bone'' nature of my ankles/feet. I take the Tramodal too, and it's effects are minimal, but I'm not doing opiates again. Neither Lyrica nor Gabapentin do anything for me, so it's reading and binge watching shows/movies, and using my time well tomorrow, while I'm up and able. Still it's small potatoes compaired with your fight.  I wish they'd invent something that blocks nerve pain better, so we can keep on trucking and doing the fun things. Hang tough......................................Dave

• Capox Dude
    Capox Dude Member Posts: 122 Member
    The late, great John Prine

had a song about an illegal smile.  Talk to your doc about all options

• Djspareme
    Djspareme Member Posts: 22 Member
    abrub said:

Gabepentin

I was just started on Gabepentin, and it seems to be helping somewhat.  Meanwile, chemo for now.  Surgical options still possible.

Im glad the gabapentin seems

Im glad the gabapentin seems to be working.  I used it for a few months and developed Parkinson like side effects.  Shaking and jaw tremors.

• abrub
    Trubrit said:

Sorry to hear this, Abrub

but I am glad you are getting some relief from Gabapentin.  

But it is hard hearing about the new tumours.  Here's hoping that the Folfiri does the job and knocking them down and getting them under control.   Will they be able to do surgery in the future? 

Thinking of you. 

Tru

We're hoping!

My surgeon is looking into options.  I think he'll convince my med onc that surgery is the way to go (with possible rads as one tumor may be dangerous to remove in terms of quality of life.  However, the radiation onc says that implanting radioactive beads in that tumor should work fine.  Fingers crossed!  

I absolutely agree with my surgeon's thinking.  Chemo didn't shrink these tumors before; why should it now?

Alice

• abrub

The late, great John Prine

had a song about an illegal smile.  Talk to your doc about all options

Good thought.

I will bring it up!

• abrub
    edited June 2020 #17
    Main post updated

See main post

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited June 2020 #18
    I have you on my calendar

But I will be thinking of you before, hoping that you are able to get the pain under control. 

Cyber hugs!

Tru

• myAZmountain
    myAZmountain Member Posts: 417 Member
    So sorry to hear of all the pain!

Hope so much you can get some kind of relief as you wait for your surgery--and hope that it goes well and you heal quickly!

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    Cancer

It is bad enough that cancer can kill us!!  Does it also have to cause pain? Hopping for the best for you!!!

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited June 2020 #21
    Surgery

Hopefully once the surgery is completed then you will have some relief from the pain.  It's too bad they can't give you more of a pain reliever at this time as when you are in pain, that date seems like forever.  Hoping that the pain doesn't get any worse while you wait.  Wishing you the best.

Kim