atelectasis

abita
abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member

Anyone know what atelectasis is?

Comments

• Tueffel
    Tueffel Member Posts: 327 Member
    Lungs

Atelectasis is a disease inside the lungs.

I will try to describe it now really simple: the gas exchange happens at the alveoli. The red blood cells give away CO2 and O2 in exchange. In atelectasis the alveoli are diminished or deflated meaning the gas exchange does not take place or is diminished. If no gas exchange occurs the ling thinks "why should blood go there? There is no gas exchange". So the lung collapses there. The alveoli simply dont do their work. 

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    edited April 2020 #3
    My husband has this

At the base of both of his lungs, it developed during his surgery recovery at Sloan in 2018. Why do you ask? 

• abita
    edited April 2020 #4

My husband has this

At the base of both of his lungs, it developed during his surgery recovery at Sloan in 2018. Why do you ask? 

I read the results of my most

I read the results of my most recent scans. It has that one tumor cannot be measured because Increased atelectasis obscures it. So I am wondering if this is something that I should be panicked about. I have been googling and am trying to think that it is something that happens with long tumors, so is what it is. I also keep telling myself, increased means they already knew about it. So I go from panic to only wondering if that tumor grew or remained the same since that is why we do the scans- checking are they stable.

• abita
    edited April 2020 #5

My husband has this

it has increased my awareness

it has increased my awareness that I need to start cardio, even if it is like in 5 minute spurts.

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    edited April 2020 #6
    abita said:

I read the results of my most

I read the results of my most recent scans. It has that one tumor cannot be measured because Increased atelectasis obscures it. So I am wondering if this is something that I should be panicked about. I have been googling and am trying to think that it is something that happens with long tumors, so is what it is. I also keep telling myself, increased means they already knew about it. So I go from panic to only wondering if that tumor grew or remained the same since that is why we do the scans- checking are they stable.

I would not panic

My husband has had it for2 years now and doesn't have lung tumors. 

• abita
    edited April 2020 #7

I would not panic

My husband has had it for2 years now and doesn't have lung tumors. 

Thank you! Now I can just

Thank you! Now I can just worry how much "slight" growth is okay, and when does it become an issue. One tumor is stable, one slight increase, the other is blocked by the atalectis so can't be measured.

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 714 Member
    edited April 2020 #8
    Good news is don't panic

Good news is don't panic about it.  I have never heard of it either.  A 5 min spurt of cardio would be jumping rope! (thats what came to mind)

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 784 Member
    edited April 2020 #9
    I had that show up on one of

I had that show up on one of my scans. Google said it can happen due to the anesetic during surgery.

• abita
    edited April 2020 #10
    He didn't even mention it.

He didn't even mention it. Said was a good scan because stable. He did say that although there was a small increase in one of the lung mets, that was okay.