Round 4 Oxaliplatin Folfox

SnapDragon2
SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 714 Member

Round 4 Oxa done.  5fu pump until Wednesday.   A little bit of nausea after oxa infusion and a moment of neuropathy in finger joints.  Happy to be half way done!

Comments

• suzycruise76
    suzycruise76 Member Posts: 163 Member
    Hi Snap,

the other half is going to go faster....believe me! 

All the best,

Suzy

• SnapDragon2

Hi Snap,

the other half is going to go faster....believe me! 

All the best,

Suzy

Thank you!  I'm trusting your

Thank you!  I'm trusting your word on that.

• AnneO1965
    AnneO1965 Member Posts: 182 Member
    edited April 2020 #4
    Yep yep, you've reached the

Yep yep, you've reached the countdown stage...  You can do this! Make sure you are getting enough sleep and get ready to ring that bell! I'm so proud of you!

• th4rs
    th4rs Member Posts: 30 Member
    edited April 2020 #5
    4th infusion

I am finnished with my forth round of Chemo also but I opted for Cape Ox.  I am trying to work throgh this are you working?  I have stasge 3C colon cancer what is your stage?  I am glad to hear someone going through this journy alongside me.  My forth infusion was March 31.  

Take Care,

Robin  

• SnapDragon2
    edited April 2020 #6
    th4rs said:

4th infusion

I am finnished with my forth round of Chemo also but I opted for Cape Ox.  I am trying to work throgh this are you working?  I have stasge 3C colon cancer what is your stage?  I am glad to hear someone going through this journy alongside me.  My forth infusion was March 31.  

Take Care,

Robin  

Hi, yes still working, been

Hi, yes still working, been at it since 4 am today.  I have not had to take off work any since adjuvant chemo so far, knock on wood!  Intially I thought path report stated IIIb but it is in fact IIIc RC.

How are you doing with chemo?

• SnapDragon2
    edited April 2020 #7
    AnneO1965 said:

Yep yep, you've reached the

Yep yep, you've reached the countdown stage...  You can do this! Make sure you are getting enough sleep and get ready to ring that bell! I'm so proud of you!

Thank you!  And I am so proud

Thank you!  And I am so proud of you as well.

Sleep is definitely an issue, that darn steroid.  I foundmy self just getting up at 3:30 am this morning, having coffee and going straight to work, smh!!!  I asked them if I could skip the steroid part.  They didn't recommend it as it is used as an anti-inflammatory to combat chemo inflammatory stress on the body, whew!!! 

• th4rs
    th4rs Member Posts: 30 Member

Hi, yes still working, been

Hi, yes still working, been at it since 4 am today.  I have not had to take off work any since adjuvant chemo so far, knock on wood!  Intially I thought path report stated IIIb but it is in fact IIIc RC.

How are you doing with chemo?

chemo

I am a nurse so have taken off due to covid 19 and trying to get my white blood cell count up before possibly exposing myself to something bad.  They never tell you when deciding your career path you should plan it like you are going to get cancer.  The oxyliplaton I definnaltly have the cold tingles long after they say you should.  I am almost having side effects until my next treatment.  I also am feeling very tired but am doing my three 12 hour shifts.  The worst one is when I do my night shift then Chemo I do not get to sleep until 2 pm after not sleeping all night. 

I have been doing reserch and I have read about the IDEA study for colorectial Cancer was so excited that I might be able to stop treatments at 4 instead of going until 8 but Doctor said with my cancer I need to go the whole 8.  That was so disappaointing.  So been not doing any research.  Blind trusting Doctors is not a nurses way.  

Thanks for sharing,

Robin 

Thanks for sharing,

Robin      

• Tom M.
    Tom M. Member Posts: 223 Member
    Folfox Treatment

Hang in there Snap, you will be fine. I did 16 rounds of Folfox7 was off for 2 months and have now completed 5 of 6 rounds of same with Irintocan this time. My side effects were mild. Luckey I guess. If you are still having a nausea problem Ondansetron works well. 8mg tablet melts in your mouth and taste like flavored bubble gum. Keep the positive attitude. We are all in this to win it. Stay healthy.    Tom

• SnapDragon2
    edited April 2020 #10
    Hi Robin,  Yes I think taking

Hi Robin,  Yes I think taking a break is the protocol for low wbc in hopes the rest will bring it up naturally.  Nuelasta shots also help in continuing with treatment.  There is another shot but can't think of the name.  My problem is lymphocytes (might be part of wbc).  Neoadjuvant chemo of 5fu and rad wiped them out.  I eat all kinds of orange things and dark green things plus go for IV vit c and meyers cocktails every week.  Staying super hydrated is key to flushing out the chemo after to help with side effects.   

• SnapDragon2
    Tom M. said:

Folfox Treatment

Hang in there Snap, you will be fine. I did 16 rounds of Folfox7 was off for 2 months and have now completed 5 of 6 rounds of same with Irintocan this time. My side effects were mild. Luckey I guess. If you are still having a nausea problem Ondansetron works well. 8mg tablet melts in your mouth and taste like flavored bubble gum. Keep the positive attitude. We are all in this to win it. Stay healthy.    Tom

Thank you, Tom!  Nausea was

Thank you, Tom!  Nausea was terrible yesterday after disconnect.  I felt like throwing up at every curve in the road.  Can I get Ondansetron over the counter?

Yes, we are in it to win it!!!  It is so good to see you back here :)

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    edited April 2020 #12

Thank you, Tom!  Nausea was terrible yesterday after disconnect.  I felt like throwing up at every curve in the road.  Can I get Ondansetron over the counter?

You should tell them this so

You should tell them this so that they can give you a different anti-nausea drug in your premeds. I remember when I got my anti-nasuea drugs to take home, she gave me the one Tom mentioned because it was the same as the drug that was in my pre meds for chemo and it worked for me. And she gave me two different ones just in case. They have many different drugs so can find one that works for you. Plus timing is everything. 
    zels 
    not sure if this is for you too, but I discovered that if I didn't have a little something in my stomach, I get nauseaus. I always eeat some pretzels before chemo, but even at home. I get sickish if I don't have a little something in my stomach.

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member

Hi Robin,  Yes I think taking

Hi Robin,  Yes I think taking a break is the protocol for low wbc in hopes the rest will bring it up naturally.  Nuelasta shots also help in continuing with treatment.  There is another shot but can't think of the name.  My problem is lymphocytes (might be part of wbc).  Neoadjuvant chemo of 5fu and rad wiped them out.  I eat all kinds of orange things and dark green things plus go for IV vit c and meyers cocktails every week.  Staying super hydrated is key to flushing out the chemo after to help with side effects.   

Are your fingertips getting

Are your fingertips getting darker? That is a side effect of 5fu they never mention. It is kind of funny when you first realize it is happening. It made my lips a perfect shade of pink. It darkened the lines in my plams, and my scar. Goes away though, but I remember how weird it was that my fingertips looked dirty

• SnapDragon2
    edited April 2020 #14
    Fingertips are not dark but

Fingertips are not dark but tops of my feet are showing a weird color.  My palms are peeling and itching again.  I have benedryl and Eucrin lotion that helps it.  I will definitely ask for a different nasuea med and see if the Ondansetron is an option.  I usually eat a banana and granola bar before infusion and may to rethink it and try some dry crackers or something.

• Tom M.

Nausea

No. Call your Onc. or nurse at infusion. They'll call it in for you. BTW do you recieve a anti nausea meds before your treatments start?

• SnapDragon2
    Tom M. said:

Nausea

No. Call your Onc. or nurse at infusion. They'll call it in for you. BTW do you recieve a anti nausea meds before your treatments start?

Yes, dexa(something) and

Yes, dexa(something) and another one.  I have zofran for home but it is a "nofran'd" lol.  Monday was the start of nasuea so thanks to you and abita I can stop it from happening again.  I'll call them tomorrow.  Thank you!

• SnapDragon2

Yes, dexa(something) and

Yes, dexa(something) and another one.  I have zofran for home but it is a "nofran'd" lol.  Monday was the start of nasuea so thanks to you and abita I can stop it from happening again.  I'll call them tomorrow.  Thank you!

Its dextrose with the

Its dextrose with the oxaliplatin.  Before infusion its something, can't remember but its infused by syringe into port along with a few other things, one being a steroid.

• Tom M.
    edited April 2020 #18

Its dextrose with the

Its dextrose with the oxaliplatin.  Before infusion its something, can't remember but its infused by syringe into port along with a few other things, one being a steroid.

Nausea

The Nausea med you get with the pre-meds last up to 72 hrs. Have them prescribe you the Ondansetron tomorrow. It will help you. Good Luck Snap and stay strong. Praying for you.  Tom

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Count Downs On

That's the perfect way to look at.  Glad that you are handling it well so far.  Don't let the neuropathy get too bad before letting them know about it.  The more treatments you have the more it will stay with you.  The steroids make you into the energizer bunny.  I'd get up about 2:30 and come on these boards and actually find others here just because they couldn't sleep either.  You could ask for a sleeping pill, and it helped me quite a bit.  Good luck on the rest of your treatments.

Kim

• SnapDragon2
    edited April 2020 #20

Count Downs On

That's the perfect way to look at.  Glad that you are handling it well so far.  Don't let the neuropathy get too bad before letting them know about it.  The more treatments you have the more it will stay with you.  The steroids make you into the energizer bunny.  I'd get up about 2:30 and come on these boards and actually find others here just because they couldn't sleep either.  You could ask for a sleeping pill, and it helped me quite a bit.  Good luck on the rest of your treatments.

Kim

Hi Kim,  Thank you!!!  I let

Hi Kim,  Thank you!!!  I let the nurse know Wednesday about the neuropathy starting.  It was a momentary event after oxa infusion on Monday.  I went to open the truck door when I got home and my fingers wouldn't work right.  It lasted about 3-5 minutes and nothng since.  I instantly thought of your experience when it happened.  I've been taking magnesium as a sleep aid but thinking maybe melatonin might be worth a try this go around.  Maybe the wrinkle cream can stay ahead of all the sleepless nights so the stress wrinkles and bags under my eyes won't be so bad :)

• SnapDragon2
    edited April 2020 #21
    AND off subject but I bet the

AND off subject but I bet the highly suggested mask wearing is a shoplifters dream come true!