Let's all check in,please

Donna Faye
Donna Faye Member Posts: 427 Member

I am so worried about so many of you and not sure if you gave up on getting connected after the hacking or if you are not well or hopefully you are content with life as it is for now. But, just realized how much I miss not hearing from you and knowing that all is OK.

I am on day 9 of the Magace and so far so good. I have been at my son's now for 1 month and all has been so peaceful and fun. We have 3 dogs so we do long walks around the neighborhood which is good for me. The guys are wonderful cooks so I am certainly eating better and enjoying it moreLaughing I am zooming the grandsons so keeping connected and that is important. They both have BD's soon so trying to come up with some ideas to surprise.

Anyway, hope many of you do check-in and share with us how you are doing. SO much information about how to be safe going to treatment. Hope all of you are taking time to pamper yourself. Missing you, Donna Faye!

Comments

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited March 2020 #2
    Staying at home

I'm glad that I had my biennial endoscopy and colonoscopy in February so that I could get that out of the way before the burden fell on the health care professionals and facilities.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I did have a respiratory infection early in March. The fever and fatigue went away after about a week, but the cough – which was very bad – is still lingering. I don't know if I had the seasonal flu (despite getting the flu shot last fall) or Covid-19.

My state has a "stay at home" order, so I'm only going out for groceries occasionally. I do wear gloves when I'm out and I try to keep the recommended distance from others.

Except for occasional visits to a client's site to gather the initial data needed for a new consulting project, I've worked at home for most of my career. So I already had a fully functioning office with the associated technology. Therefore, the stay at home order hasn't been a significant problem for me (so far!).

I, too, am worried for those currently in treatment who don't have the choice of avoiding medical professionals or facilities. I hope that everyone in treatment reads JillAndrea's post of March 25th (https://csn.cancer.org/node/321523) where she described the steps she is taking to stay safe during radiation treatment, as well as comments from others on their safety measures.

I will say, however, my two cats don't believe in social distancing!

• zsazsa1
    zsazsa1 Member Posts: 565 Member
    edited March 2020 #3
    We are very strictly self

We are very strictly self-isolated at home.  We don't go to grocery stores - were very well-stocked, and if we really need something, friends who do go to grocery stores pick it up for us, and we clean it off or let it sit for 3 days before it enters the house.

I do go for once a week rituximab infusions, very, very carefully, with mask and gloves and sterilizing hands and showering/washing clothing.  I sent my teenager out to live with my young adult, and my college aged daughter is home with us, which has been very nice.

Everyone, stay home, and stay well!

• Fridays Child
    Fridays Child Member Posts: 277 Member
    Technical problems?

A couple of days ago I tried to post and got the blocked message.  Keeping all of you in my prayers!

• Donna Faye

Technical problems?

A couple of days ago I tried to post and got the blocked message.  Keeping all of you in my prayers!

So good to hear from a few

But I fear many are having technical problems from that hack episode. Maybe cmb can help us find out??

• MoeKay
    MoeKay Member Posts: 476 Member
    Here's what the tech staff advise if you have problems

I had problems posting on the 19th and contacted the technical staff.  Here is what they advise doing if you should encounter issues posting:

https://csn.cancer.org/forum/200

• Fridays Child
    edited March 2020 #7
    Still can't start a new topic

Thanks, MoeKay.  I'll email them.  I tried to start a new topic about Megace and hair loss but maybe I'll look for a related thread and see if I can reply to that.

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    Sounds lovely

I'm from Michigan but I fear that I'm from the opposite side of the state where we don't have those kind of descriptions. Left there 40 years ago but still have family there. 

• Unknown
    edited April 2020 #9
    I'm OK in Nebraska

Our county is restricted because of 2 or more community spread cases.  I'm glad I got my haircut right before the restrictions, because beauty salons were ordered to be closed.  Since I'm retired and live alone, I have more than enough of everything so I haven't talked to a live person for weeks.  Keeping all of you in mind, and thinking extra thoughts for any of you who are still actively fighting.  The sun was out today in my world, and as Little Orphan Annie said, the sun will come out tomorrow, bet your bottom dollar.  Hugs

• Jairoldi
    Jairoldi Member Posts: 221 Member
    edited April 2020 #10
    Staying home in Vermont

Like so many others we are under Stay Home and Stay Safe orders from our state. The organization I work for sent everyone home to work. So far so good. We haven't been out, other than to walk and hike on our back road and the trails at the end of our road. We were well stocked but our adult children have been dropping off fresh fruits, veggies, and dairy.  We are in our third week. 

• Donna Faye
    edited April 2020 #11
    So good to hear that we are doing OK

This is the first site I visit every morning after I walk Harry. Spring comes and goes in NC, beautiful 4 days of high 70's and sunshine and pollen ) : but yesterday cold and rain last night but it washed away the pollen (  :  Don'swife, we lived in Omaha for 2 years some 20 years ago and I will have to say, it was not my favorite state. But the schools were fantastic and it only snowed lightly the 2 years we were there for which this southern girl was most grateful. I am so glad more are checking in. I did not realize how much I wanted to hear from all of you until I did not. Stay well.

• barnyardgal
    barnyardgal Member Posts: 272 Member
    edited April 2020 #12
    We were doing well in spite

We were doing well in spite of the stay at home orders. I have lots of books to be read, dogs to walk, and a vegetable garden to get in. Then last Tues I started with a stomach ache which switched to the right side. Got a ct scan Wed. and have a ruptured appendix. I was in the hospital for a few days but now I'm home and doing 14 days of iv antibiotics. Once infection heals and covid19 calms down, I'll go back in for an operation to take the little rascal out. Duri g the ct scan they saw a couple abcesses on liver. They think its from the appendix rupturing, and will heal but I'm scheduled for an MRI to check in a couple weeks. I worry about mets of course but my ct was clear in Novemer and abscess in liver due to appendix rupturing is the most common reason for abscess there.  I thought this heal the rupture first before operating sounded strange but after looking into it, it's become more common and is much safer.Sometimes they don't even need to operate but I want the appendix gone.

My immune system is usually pretty strong but drs are concerned because of covid so we are self isolating as much as possible.

It's always something.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    edited April 2020 #13
    Still going strong in FL

Hello All,

I was happy to finally be able to access our beloved site here. I really missed everyone! So good to catch up with those that have found their way back in.

We have been self-isolating for about 3 weeks now. Our area in Florida hasn't been hit yet. Although, I suspect we have our share that hasn't been tested and is hanging out here.

Very strange times we are living in. I miss the grandkids but know it is better for all of us.

I'm fortunate to have beautiful weather and a nice yard to spend time in with my husband and two dogs.  We have a freezer full of food and only go for groceries when we run out of fresh fruit and veggies.  Mask, gloves and glasses and a ton of washing when we get back home. I have only been out one time in the last month. And, really, that is A-OK. I stay busy and feel lucky to wake up healthy and happy every day.

Take care and stay strong. We will get through this and come out stronger.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 654 Member
    Happy to be back in Michigan

Glad to hear everyone is coping as best as can be, even the brave ones still in treatment. We have been home for almost two weeks since our crooss country move. Pretty scary, but we had to get to a place where we could safely shelter in place. Spring is sprung here with the first bulbs popping up, snow drops, early daffodils, and the blue scilla is about to explode into azure carpets. We got a big head start on the spring cleanup as we got here about a month earlier than normal. Migrating birds and winter hold overs are coming by to check out the feeders. Almost every year we have bluebirds nesting and we are so happy to see the pair, checking out the nesting box, eating the mealworms. The male we have named "Electric Blue" as he is so brilliant. My native gardens are starting to show little green shoots here and there, as we take the old leaves and debris away and cut down last year's growth. A few days ago it was warm enough to sit outside before dinner, have a cocktail, and enjoy the fresh air. Soon, the migrating Orioles, Indigo Buntings, and Gros Beaks arrive, and then the hummers will be back. Such is my life 6 months of the year. Looking forward to the newest grandchild coming in June. All the adult kids are unemployed, but will be ok once this thing blows over. A little help from unemployment, and from Mom and Dad, if needed, will tide them through. Luckily, my daughter in law is able to work in isolation while waiting for the baby to be born. I have been checking in with one friend a day, as we are all scared that one of us "elderly" will get sick. We are all sheltering in place, and even though we are all high risk and many of us either had cancer like me, or are actively in treatment, we are all well. It is nice to catch up, regardless. Dreaming of the time when we can go out to eat again as I am really getting tired of cooking! 

xxoo

Denise 

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member
    edited April 2020 #15
    First, I need to agree with

First, I need to agree with Fridays Child, I have gotten "blocked' a few times too.  I said the heck with it and saw it posted ???  Anyways...

Working from home and praying for all those who are out there and continue to work:  my co-workers in aviation and operations, the store workers and especially the front line doctors, nurses, fire, police, EMS, garbage men, etc...there are a lot more than I have mentioned.  

May you and your loved ones be safe.

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    Hello,

Hello,

Its weird here in Utah much like other places as well. We are supposed to stay home stay safe execpt were nesasarry. Ive been working still because i serve lunch at school so they still need us. We do a drive up service for those families that come.  It feels weird though around here. Its working out ok though and we are trying to ajust to another new normal.

• LisaPizza
    LisaPizza Member Posts: 358 Member

We were doing well in spite

We were doing well in spite of the stay at home orders. I have lots of books to be read, dogs to walk, and a vegetable garden to get in. Then last Tues I started with a stomach ache which switched to the right side. Got a ct scan Wed. and have a ruptured appendix. I was in the hospital for a few days but now I'm home and doing 14 days of iv antibiotics. Once infection heals and covid19 calms down, I'll go back in for an operation to take the little rascal out. Duri g the ct scan they saw a couple abcesses on liver. They think its from the appendix rupturing, and will heal but I'm scheduled for an MRI to check in a couple weeks. I worry about mets of course but my ct was clear in Novemer and abscess in liver due to appendix rupturing is the most common reason for abscess there.  I thought this heal the rupture first before operating sounded strange but after looking into it, it's become more common and is much safer.Sometimes they don't even need to operate but I want the appendix gone.

My immune system is usually pretty strong but drs are concerned because of covid so we are self isolating as much as possible.

It's always something.

Oh gosh, how awful! Glad you

Oh gosh, how awful! Glad you're doing ok.

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited April 2020 #18
    Sitting tight

I'm ok. My husband and I have each other and are well-stocked. The anxiety is all on behalf of my daughter who is riding this out by herself in Hoboken. We sent her 2 care packages so far so that she doesn't have to repeatedly go hunting on foot for that one roll of tp that most stores there are rationing people to, but I'd be sleeping better if she had been able to move in with us by now. I'm a worrier, so this is driving me a bit crazy. She's my fearless child, so not always as cautious as I would have her be.

I'm so glad to hear that Denise made it to Michigan ok! Let's all stay safe, ok?

• Armywife
    Armywife Member Posts: 451 Member
    edited April 2020 #19
    Hi All

Finally checking in from South Carolina. We left Texas the first of March and took about a week to get here, stopping to visit some folks along the way.  Just in the nick of time, too, as the  military stopped all travel right after we got here!  Our household goods arrived a little over two weeks ago, and I have been up to my ears in boxes and piles of too much stuff ever since.  We did have to go out an awful lot the first week or so because we had literally nothing in the house, but are well stocked now and praying to stay that way.  It's been a huge adjustment:   moving back to a place where I have good friends but a lot of unhappy memories too; being together 24/7 after him serving in the army for over 40 years; trying to make all our possessions fit in a house that's painfully too small for us; worrying about my only daughter, who has lived in Guatemala for almost 7 years and is locked down over there, unable to work at the mission where she serves girls who are victims of horrific abuse, unable to come home because the borders were closed three weeks ago.  My passport is expiring and I can't go out to get a photo taken to renew it, even if I could travel now.  It's unnerving knowing that my daughter can't get to me and I can't get to her if there's an emergency.  I have missed all of you while we were in transit and setting things up here.  So glad to know y'all are ok.  Praying we all weather this storm and as ever, thankful for each and all of you.  I am hoping to find a new cancer care team before I am due for my next checkup in June.  Unnerving to leave my original care team in Texas. 

• Fridays Child
    edited April 2020 #20
    Welcome home!

Armywife, glad you made it to your new home and hope you'll be getting settled soon.  Best of luck finding a new care team!

I hope and pray everything goes well with everyone's kids who are in various locations.  Can't imagine how hard that is.

• Donna Faye
    edited April 2020 #21
    Scary news

For the last 2 months, my children and I have been focused on getting everything done so I could pass in peace when the time comes. Now this virus has changed everything as I have 3 who work in hospitals and 2 in law enforcement. Then this morning got the news that son-in-law was exposed 10 days ago while on the gun range. Now my daughter and 2 grands,15 and 17 have been exposed. This is just not right. The virus has upended all our lives and there is no way we can do anything but hope and pray. 

I am glad to hear that we are all being strong and to hear from Armywife who has been moving into a new life. Believe me I understand the husband being home 24/7. 

Would love to hear from Little Annie who is on the L/K treatment. Hope you are doing well.

df