Hospital update

SnapDragon2
SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 714 Member

Automated call from the major hospital in our state.  All patient apts have been canceled to include maternity and end of life care.  

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited March 2020 #2
    That doesn't sound right

I would be checking to see if this were authorized.  

If someone is having a baby, they have to have proper medical care. And as for end of life, they have taken an oath to care for those in pain. 

Tru

• SnapDragon2
    At this point it will be

At this point it will be telehealth.  Not seeing patients in any clinic.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited March 2020 #4

At this point it will be

At this point it will be telehealth.  Not seeing patients in any clinic.

Awful!

While I realize NY is one of the hardest hit states in the US, I fear for the lives of those who don't have COVID-19. 

May we find strength through this awful time. 

Tru

• SnapDragon2
    edited March 2020 #5
    Im sure there are exceptions

Im sure there are exceptions like for high risk moms to be and certain end of life patients.  But ya,  message said to please check the portal for apt changes.  I did and it has link to a set up for telehealth, which I already have.

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    edited March 2020 #6
    Are there not many hospitals

Are there not many hospitals in your state? That seems very strange. It would only make sense if they were redirecting their patients to another hospital if they were becoming covid-19 patients only to prevent spread.

• abita
    edited March 2020 #7
    Trubrit said:

Awful!

While I realize NY is one of the hardest hit states in the US, I fear for the lives of those who don't have COVID-19. 

May we find strength through this awful time. 

Tru

What does NY have to do with

What does NY have to do with this post? Is snapdragon's hospital in NY?

• abita
    edited March 2020 #8
    That being said, I am glad I

That being said, I am glad I now get infusion at MSK that is only cancer, rather than the hospital I used to go to.

• SnapDragon2
    edited March 2020 #9
    I'm not in NY.  Just thought

I'm not in NY.  Just thought I'd share my automated call with all of you.  A lady on colon talk posted a comment that at her cancer center all routine followup apts are canceled and they are calling patients with infusion apts to prescreen them before coming to center.  We are all safe with our infusion centers I believe.  They are being pro-active.

• Tueffel
    Tueffel Member Posts: 327 Member
    edited March 2020 #10
    Okay that should not be

Okay it seems strange for me. I am okay when clinics take precautions to preven the spreading of corona but a normal hospital care should still be possible. Especially giving birth and also cancer patients are things that can go wrong at another place and could be set up somewhere else

I dont know how they will do it in the hospital my dad is taken care of. In this city we have 2 hospitals working together. Would be better to just have one hospital for corona patients and the other one for normal jospital care like cancer, accidents and important surgeries

• abita

I'm not in NY.  Just thought

I'm not in NY.  Just thought I'd share my automated call with all of you.  A lady on colon talk posted a comment that at her cancer center all routine followup apts are canceled and they are calling patients with infusion apts to prescreen them before coming to center.  We are all safe with our infusion centers I believe.  They are being pro-active.

I am glad they are. And not

I am glad they are. And not just for our protection. If the nurses are sick, they can't help us. Also, they must have fear worrying about bringing it home to their families. I have always had such compassion for them. They see recoveries, but I have always seen that the nurses get close to us patients, and it must be hard for them when we get worse. I know it is in their training to mentally handle that, but they are human too. 

I didn't think you were in NY which is why I wondered what Tru meant by mentioning NY in this circimstance. 

• SnapDragon2
    Well, on 10:00 news a

Well, on 10:00 news a hospital closest to us updated their protocol by saying pediatrics floor can have family of course.  Maternity floor and end of life floor, 1 visitor per.  He said "but of course we can be flexible."

Its just a crazy time right now.  We all need to be mindful and strive to make the best decisions right now I think.

• SnapDragon2
    edited March 2020 #13
    abita said:

I am glad they are. And not

I am glad they are. And not just for our protection. If the nurses are sick, they can't help us. Also, they must have fear worrying about bringing it home to their families. I have always had such compassion for them. They see recoveries, but I have always seen that the nurses get close to us patients, and it must be hard for them when we get worse. I know it is in their training to mentally handle that, but they are human too. 

I didn't think you were in NY which is why I wondered what Tru meant by mentioning NY in this circimstance. 

You are so right!!!  They are

You are so right!!!  They are angels.  The place I go for IV C and myers cocktails has been checking temps of people at the front door.  They are constantly cleaning ahead/ behind every patient and got AC diffusers, what ever that is.  But I was super impressed last week and today.  The nurses are tired but still smile and make you feel good.  I won't go to the cancer center until tues, so we will see what measures they are implimenting.  I'm sure it will be top notch.