Anyone else worried a lockdown might happen, then how to get chemo?

abita
abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member

I have hunkered down in my NYC apt. I think my biggest fear right now is if we lockdown, how will I get to chemo since I take a car service.

Comments

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2020 #2
    I have no idea.  I've been

I have no idea.  I've been thinking about you the past few days since covid outbreak is pandemic now.  One of the people I work with in Buffalo told me last Friday the hospitals up that way have canceled non life threatening surgeries.  His wife was suppose to have a surgery to prevent a life threatening event but it was canceled.

• abita
    edited March 2020 #3

I have no idea.  I've been

I have no idea.  I've been thinking about you the past few days since covid outbreak is pandemic now.  One of the people I work with in Buffalo told me last Friday the hospitals up that way have canceled non life threatening surgeries.  His wife was suppose to have a surgery to prevent a life threatening event but it was canceled.

I think that was a state

I think that was a state order. Cuomo keeps talking about the beds. I just keep telling myself that I will still be able to get chemo, maybe at least the next one or two, then hopefully, at most I wouldn't miss more than one or two before they figure it all out. Not ideal, not even good, but trying to make myself calm.

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited March 2020 #4
    Faith

Just have faith that GOD will take care of us all--one way or another.  HE loves us!!!

• SnapDragon2
    edited March 2020 #5
    I bet you will.  Maybe even

I bet you will.  Maybe even keep uber service in mind.  I've been in NYC taxi's and buckled up for the ride, lol...whew, they drive worse than my mom :)  The infusion clinic I go to has not posted anything about a disruption.

• SnapDragon2
    edited March 2020 #6
    abita said:

I think that was a state

I think that was a state order. Cuomo keeps talking about the beds. I just keep telling myself that I will still be able to get chemo, maybe at least the next one or two, then hopefully, at most I wouldn't miss more than one or two before they figure it all out. Not ideal, not even good, but trying to make myself calm.

PM sent

PM sent

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    I Am

I have chemo and/or radiation soon.  Still trying to decide which will be a better option.  I will probably go Uber or Lyft if I cannot drive myself.  I used to live in NYC and cabs (like snap dragon mentioned) used to scare me more than Lyft or Uber has since I started using them (I live near NYC and had the start of my chemo there at MSK in City, now go to Westchester and Bergan). Also the American Cancer Society provides rides and other services.  Hopefully they are ahead of this in terms of arranging things with local governments that transport for patients will still be permitted.

If it gets to the point where they start cutting off chemo or other treatments for cancer patients, things would have to totally fallen apart.  

• abita
    edited March 2020 #8
    NewHere said:

I Am

I have chemo and/or radiation soon.  Still trying to decide which will be a better option.  I will probably go Uber or Lyft if I cannot drive myself.  I used to live in NYC and cabs (like snap dragon mentioned) used to scare me more than Lyft or Uber has since I started using them (I live near NYC and had the start of my chemo there at MSK in City, now go to Westchester and Bergan). Also the American Cancer Society provides rides and other services.  Hopefully they are ahead of this in terms of arranging things with local governments that transport for patients will still be permitted.

If it gets to the point where they start cutting off chemo or other treatments for cancer patients, things would have to totally fallen apart.  

Logically, I know that. My

Logically, I know that. My confidence was broken a bit when I asked my doctor's office if MSK has a contingency to get patients to treatment, and they said no

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    edited March 2020 #9
    abita said:

Logically, I know that. My

Logically, I know that. My confidence was broken a bit when I asked my doctor's office if MSK has a contingency to get patients to treatment, and they said no

Anything I Hear I Will Let You Know

Right now (guessing) maybe everything is moving so quickly for the city and Feds that dealing with transport issues based on what curfews/restrtictions are/will be in place are on the back burner for a right now. The government may just be so overwhelmed right now that fielding phone calls from various cancer facilities about transport issues is lower on the priority list and can be addressed later.  And shelter in place does not mean total shut-down. 

Also things take a bit to get in place at hospitals, so MSK may be working on a plan, but it did not make it to the doctor's yet or has not been finalized.  Plus it may just be too early/confidential to mention to bring up to patients.  It still may just be up the chain at this point.  You can also speak to a PCA if the information would help you feel better.  With all the things we go through, if there is something that bothers you/shakes confidence enough that it creates stress or concern, go for the answer. 

• SnapDragon2
    edited March 2020 #10
    Any updates on shelter in

Any updates on shelter in place decision?

• abita

Any updates on shelter in

Any updates on shelter in place decision?

Cuomo said NO and that the

Cuomo said NO and that the mayor could not do something like that without his permission. Those two!