Three years

SandiaBuddy
SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
edited March 2020 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Three years ago, I faced a nearly totally obstructive colon tumor and I did not know if I would live a day, a month or a year.  After surgery and a not too happy course of chemo, I have managed to make it through my three year CT and blood tests with no evidence of cancer.  There have been side-effects and challenges, some of which are ongoing, but I am lucky enough to live a relatively normal life. 

One of my passions is hiking the Grand Canyon, and I was lucky enough to make three rim to rim to rim hikes (essentially back-to-back marathons) last year, and I hope, as long as health, money, hotel reservations (and coronavirus!) work out this year, to do as many or more this Summer.  Added to that, I have done regular rim to river to rim hikes over the year (R2R2R season for me is 5/15 to 10/15).  I recognize that some on this board have not had the same advantages as me, and my heart bleeds for them.  But I also want to give people who are on the front end of this disease the hope that life after colon cancer can be satisfying.

I contemplate mortality every day.  This helps me to strive to be a friendly presence on the trail and in life in general.  I have included a photo that was briefly my profile photo.  It is from a rim to rim to rim hike at sunrise on the Colorado River.  Not apparent in the photo is this means that I got up around 12:30am and hit the trail at 3:00am.  I have nine miles behind me and fifteen more to go.  I hope that all of you can find the meaning, challenges and satisfaction in life that I have, even after cancer.  Cheers.

Comments

• AnneO1965
    AnneO1965 Member Posts: 182 Member
    That is so totally awesome! I

That is so totally awesome! I'm so glad that cancer hasn't beat you!

I'm still struggling to find what my new meaning of life is, and I look forward to the day when it hits me. 

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited March 2020 #3
    Celebration Time!

And that can only mean one thing - HAPPY DANCING MAN image  imageimage  one for each year.

He has been very quet lately, and so happy to be out and dancing his happy dance. The dance we are all doing for your three years of NED. 

May you see many a mile of canyon in life ahead.  So many joys to be experienced. This morning, I had a Coyote share the trail with me. Yesterday, 10 Pronghorn. Ah, life in the great outdoors is.....well, GREAT. 

Tru

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    edited March 2020 #4
    AWESOME!!!

On so many levels. That whole 12:30 thing hitting the trail at 3:30 though. not sure about that time in the morning Laughing (I'm lazy, on triathlon race day I am usually up at 4AM)  

Congrats again, great news.

image  TN.gif

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2020 #5
    It is so good to hear

It is so good to hear positive journeys!  Thank you.  AND, good to see you back here :)

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    Hiker

When I lived in Tucson. i used to hike in the mountains.  My last hike was when I fell crosing a lightly sanded boulder.  Broke my glasses, brused my forhead. and I was still a mile away from the car to get home.  Keep hiking and stay NED as I have for the last 9 years!!  Good lucK!

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited March 2020 #7
    Congrats Sandia, three years

Congrats Sandia, three years clear is awesome, hiking is wonderful, wish I could do as much. Enjoy your path....................................................Dave

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    Wonderful! This cancer is

Wonderful! This cancer is horrible but it’s not kept you down. 

Good on ya!

k

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited March 2020 #9
    Awesome

Awesome and congratulations.  You have a lot to celebrate and how great it is doing something you love so much.  The picture is amazing. 

Kim

• Butt
    Butt Member Posts: 352 Member

I want to hije too! I love outdoors. I also want to go visit home in Europe and see my mom and daddy. But I can t because I am sick with cancer.

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 783 Member
    edited March 2020 #11
    Congratulations! You are

Congratulations! You are awesome!

• myAZmountain
    myAZmountain Member Posts: 417 Member
    Congrats !

Thank you for the wonderful pictures and supportive posts! Hope someday to cross paths on a hike somewhere!

• Capox Dude
    Capox Dude Member Posts: 122 Member
    edited March 2020 #13
    Congrats!

I wish I had your lungs. Laughing  I have the will, but not the stamina.  I look forward to the post in 3 more years.

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited March 2020 #14
    Thank you

Thank you one and all for your kind comments.