Cancelled Cruise

Kazenmax
Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member

Well I know that there are worse things... I know that. But... I'm 67 and for our 25th anniversary we booked a mediterranean cruise. We thought we would chance it even though my blood counts are low. I didn't tell my oncologist because I just knew he would advise against it. I'm not currently on chemo but I've had this crap come back twice. The last time required lung surgery.

We have never been on a cruise. We had no interest in going to the islands so we looked at Europe. So excited to book the cruise and plan our excursions. France, Italy, Monte Carlo... just a wonderful trip.

And then the coronavirus goes to Italy. Now I would still go but it scared my husband. He thinks I'm too susceptible to infection. I know he's right and I know we needed to cancel and hopefully we can plan one for next year when this thing is over but geez I can't get over it. I know that I'm not making my husband feel any better about this. I can't stop crying. I honestly think that I've cried more over  this than my original diagnosis. It's like this is representative of EVERYTHING cancer has taken from me. 

I just needed to tell someone how sad I am. I know there are worse things and I know a lot of you are going through them right now. I'm embarrassed to even tell you this. I'm sorry. I just need some love.

k

Comments

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    edited February 2020 #2
    Why are your blood counts low

Why are your blood counts low if you aren't on chemo?

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 714 Member
    edited February 2020 #3
    I am so sorry you have to

I am so sorry you have to cancel such an exicting much needed vacation.  Its a let down and perfectly normal to cry.  Let it out and replan.  My son just got back from a cruise a few weeks ago and I was so worried they would be quarantined.

• Fonda_Texas
    Fonda_Texas Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2020 #4
    Don't feel bad!

Do not feel bad. This is something you were looking forward to doing with your husband for a special occasion in your lives. You have every right to be upset that you had to cancel. Now, get busy finding something else special that you and your husband can do! 

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Caution

From my perspective, there are still too many unknowns involving coronavirus.  I am taking a cautious approach, I stopped going to the gym, I am keeping a social distance, and I am not taking any more trips.  Also, my hands are ready to fall off after all the washing!  Perhaps there is an alternative celebration you and your husband can engage in while this health issue becomes more clear?  Maybe a nice car trip, or something of that sort.  Hopefully warm weather will bring some improvement in the transmission rates.

• Tueffel
    Tueffel Member Posts: 327 Member
    I hate Corona

I am really sorry to hear that you wont go on this cruise for your anniversary. I am sure you and your husband were really excited, planned everything, wanted to see new things, cultures, people food. 

Maybe you will find something else which you could do? Maybe a spa day to relax? 

It is really frustrating how much corona influences our daily life. Believe me you are not the only one which is affected or afraid of it or has to cancel something. Corona is not even in my region and we med students still feel the effects of it.

But at the end I am hopeful that it will end soon and you will have a nice anniversary with your husband! :)

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    edited March 2020 #7
    Oh no!

I am so sorry, that is crazy disappointing and you have every right to be sad. I think it was the right decision but it still really sucks!! 

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    edited March 2020 #8
    abita said:

Chemo does thst

Most of husband's  levels never really went back to normal a year after chemo 

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited March 2020 #9
    Right decision....

but it still stinks.

Don't feel guitly about being sad, becasue it is sad.  I know you won't be wallowing in sadness for weeks, so being sad for a little while is just fine. 

You will have good years in front of you, and the countries will still be there when you are ready. 

You have cyber hugs coming your way. 

Tru

• AnneO1965
    AnneO1965 Member Posts: 182 Member
    edited March 2020 #10
    awwww, it makes me sad too K.

awwww, it makes me sad too K... Cry as much as you need to, it's a disappointment. (((((((((((((( hugs )))))))))))))))))

• Kazenmax
    Thanks everyone!

geez I missed this board! You all are so supportive!

i finally moved on from the disappointment. The fact is every day this corona virus gets scarier. But the weather is warming up, days are getting longer and spring is almost here. We went to the beach this weekend with my two grandchildren. it was cold but fun. Life happily goes on!

k

• Kazenmax
    edited March 2020 #12
    abita said:

My counts have been low ever

My counts have been low ever since my first chemo. I’ve started taking folate and iron every day now. my onc said to avoid those during chemo. I had my blood work redone last week and it has improved greatly.

my doctor said that the biggest cause of my low counts was the radiation I received. As a result the bone marrow in my hips is depleted and white blood cells are low. Evidently the folate helps improve it.

k

• abita

Caution

From my perspective, there are still too many unknowns involving coronavirus.  I am taking a cautious approach, I stopped going to the gym, I am keeping a social distance, and I am not taking any more trips.  Also, my hands are ready to fall off after all the washing!  Perhaps there is an alternative celebration you and your husband can engage in while this health issue becomes more clear?  Maybe a nice car trip, or something of that sort.  Hopefully warm weather will bring some improvement in the transmission rates.

Do you think it is risky to

Do you think it is risky to go to the gym just to use the chin up assist machine if the gym cleans a lot? 

I am not leaving my apt for the first week of infusion cycle, will reassess if it gets worse here next week. 

• SandiaBuddy
    edited March 2020 #14
    Kazenmax said:

Thanks everyone!

i finally moved on from the disappointment. The fact is every day this corona virus gets scarier. But the weather is warming up, days are getting longer and spring is almost here. We went to the beach this weekend with my two grandchildren. it was cold but fun. Life happily goes on!

k

Beach

It looks like a beautiful day at the beach.  To me, life is for living, and it is up to us to make the best of it, regardless of the circumstances.

• SandiaBuddy
    edited March 2020 #15
    abita said:

Do you think it is risky to go to the gym just to use the chin up assist machine if the gym cleans a lot? 

I am not leaving my apt for the first week of infusion cycle, will reassess if it gets worse here next week. 

OCD

I am probably a bit OCD about this, but the CDC has recommended avoiding travel and public places (60+ and compromised immune system), and to me, the gym is a stew of infectious opportunities.  I love the gym, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 714 Member
    Kazenmax said:

Thanks everyone!

k

Thats great Kazen!!!!  And

Thats great Kazen!!!!  And grandchildren really make the world go around :)

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    edited March 2020 #17
    abita said:

Home Workouts?

Could not reply, could not send message, could not start a new thread.  Trying again

Adding sentence by sentence to see what triggers block

If I was on chemo I would  probably be chilling out binge watching TV until this passes.  I am getting close to avoiding things after this week - the big hit will be the swimming at the gym.  But no matter how clean they try to keep things, especially on machines, I am not sure it is worth the risk, especially if there are other options.

There are ways to try to do assisted Chin Ups at home, such as this 

https://www.wikihow.fitness/Perform-Assisted-Pull-Ups

Note I did not go through this one, just one on a Google Search I just did, take a look to see if something looks like it works for you.

Something else to consider is maybe getting a set of hand weights or another exercise to come close to replicate what you are trying to do with chin ups.  I am not an expert on which ones to susbtitute, perhaps a trainer at the gym can advise you.  I can ask aroound.  

Here are some articles about alternatives

https://www.livestrong.com/article/516492-alternative-exercises-to-replace-pullups-chinups/

https://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/8-easier-alternatives-pull-ups

There are some with bar bells/dumbells listed

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited March 2020 #18
    abita said:

Counts

My white count has never gone back to normal even after 11 years.  I've not gotten sick more often because of it though which is a good thing.  They did radiation to my hips and that is one of the largest white cell producers in the body, and the radiation killed off my bone there.

Kim

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Disappointing

That has to be so very disappointing.  It does sometimes feel that a cancer diagnosis can rob you of life during and after treatment.  Like you said, maybe you can take this cruise next year, but in the meantime a small mini vacation to someplace in the US would be a nice get away too.  Hope you get to do something special for that milestone anniversary.

Kim

• abita
    I think all cruises are now

I think all cruises are now canceled.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited March 2020 #21
    abita said:

I think all cruises are now

I think all cruises are now canceled.

Cruise

My boss and his ex are on a cruise.  I have no desire to see him back at the shop until he is two weeks off the ship.

Tru