Testosterone recovery after ADT

Georges Calvez
Georges Calvez Member Posts: 547 Member
edited February 2020 in Prostate Cancer #1
Hi there,

I thought this new publication would add to the knowledge of members.
It seems that testosterone recovery after ADT takes some considerable time and after a time around the nineteen months that I received recovery can take up to two years, but the chance of recovery is better than I thought!
You will have to copy and paste the link as it contains unrecognised characters that stops normal clicking through from working.
https://www.jsm.jsexmed.org/article/S1743-6095(19)30735-0/fulltext

Best wishes,

Georges

Comments

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member
    Interesting study

This is an interesting study on T after ADT. It could be better if they have listed the correlation between each symptom and the period it exists/is felt. For instance, the intensity of my arthritis pain began lowering when T passed the mark of 56 ng/dL (clinical castration) which was just 3 months since my departure from castration ( T=20 ng/dL), when I was already at the seventh month post the end of effectiveness of the my last 6-month shot of Eligard. One month later I would enter into the normal range of testosterone of 252 ng/dL. In other words, it took me 8 months since the end of the effectiveness of the shot to recover the testosterone from T=1 ng/dL to 252 ng/dL. 

In any case I have my reservation regarding this study's viability when the subject regards the level of testosterone in PCa treatments. I say this because oncologists use lower T to represent castration (<20 ng/dL) and the normal T as >250 ng/dL. In such cases the time it takes to recuperate from castration may be longer. In my experience of 3 Eligard shots (6-month X 3 = 18 months), it took me 8 months to get to oncological normal levels above 250 (9 months to get to levels above 300) sarting from the date of the end of effectiveness of the drug. But it took me just 4 months to reach the normal level after leaving the castration period (T<20).
    Along the period of treatment one experiences several symptoms not just due to castration (low testosterone = hypogonadism) but also due to the effects caused by the LHRH agonist in the functioning of the pituitary. Mood change, hot flashes, impared recognition , etc, are symptoms caused directly from the drug. 

Thanks for posting the link. Here is a direct one;

https://www.jsm.jsexmed.org/article/S1743-6095(19)30735-0/fulltext

Best,

VG

• SV
    SV Member Posts: 181 Member
    accelerating testosterone recovery

At the end of ADT would using HCG help? Or would that be too risky? Human chorionic gonadotropin is often used by longterm steroid users with testicle shrinkage to speed up their testosterone recovery when coming off of a cycle. It's very effective for this and can return a man's production of natural testosterone in a few weeks or less.

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member
    edited February 2020 #4
    Human chorionic gonadotropin

I know nothing about HCG. Can you provide details on this hormone?

A member in this forum named Rakendra used steroid in body building. You may contact him via CSN mail and inquiring. Here is a link to one of his posts;

https://csn.cancer.org/node/292304

VG

• Georges Calvez
    edited February 2020 #5
    Human chorionic gonadotrophin aka HCG
    Hi there,

HCG is the placental analogue of lutenising hormone aka LH which promotes testicular growth in human males.
    Given the links between FSH and the growth of PCa I think I would have to twist Dr Tigger's tail really hard before he would agree to inject me with that stuff just so my nuts would grow! :-)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_chorionic_gonadotropin

Best wishes,

Georges
  • Georges Calvez
    edited March 2020 #6
    New post

Testing,testng

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 978 Member
    Doesn’t sound good

Wow, if it was me I think I would stay away from anything that raised Testosterone.  Isn't it bad to raise T levels if you had or have Pca?  I thought you try to keep your T low to slow down the growth of Pca, is that right?

Dave 3+4