Proton Therapy - In treatment

Gforce
Gforce Member Posts: 21 Member
edited February 2020 in Prostate Cancer #1

I just finished 9 of my 40 treatments. Had some minor side effects this weekend but nothing to serious. Jump in if you are treating and lets share. 

Comments

• ASAdvocate
    ASAdvocate Member Posts: 193 Member
    Don’t See Many PBT Threads Here

It is good to see some discussion of proton beam therapy here, as both facilities and advocates are increasing every year.

From what I've read, PBT has great non-recurrence stats, although cost and some side effects remain in debate.

If I am allowed to mention another site, there are many PBT posts by patients on inspire.com. 

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 980 Member
    Good choice

Hi  Gforce,

From what I hear it's an excellent radiation treatment with the fixed beam length.  I know if I ever need radiation I wil be looking into it very closely.  Please post your results both good & bad when you complete your course of treatment.

Dave 3+4

• Gforce

Good choice

Hi  Gforce,

From what I hear it's an excellent radiation treatment with the fixed beam length.  I know if I ever need radiation I wil be looking into it very closely.  Please post your results both good & bad when you complete your course of treatment.

Dave 3+4

All is well so far

The only side effect that kicked in after 8 treatments is that you can feel your urine stream. Definately noticable but really no big deal. If this is the worst, I can handle without even taking Aleve. 

I will check out that other site. 

• RonOnThePond
    RonOnThePond Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2020 #5

Don’t See Many PBT Threads Here

It is good to see some discussion of proton beam therapy here, as both facilities and advocates are increasing every year.

From what I've read, PBT has great non-recurrence stats, although cost and some side effects remain in debate.

If I am allowed to mention another site, there are many PBT posts by patients on inspire.com. 

Not many proton therapy threads: my theory

ASAdvocate, here's a theory about why PBT threads are lacking here. From what I've seen, most forums tend towards discussion of issues relating to things going wrong. In my experience as a prostate cancer survivor who had proton therapy in 2011, most of us did fine and (my theory) fewer of us participate in forums because there's nothing much to talk about. I am here to see if I can help others, but I'm a bit more proactive about that than many men/survivors who legitimately just want to get on with their normal lives. And after all, they earned it! ... Ron

• RonOnThePond
    RonOnThePond Member Posts: 3
    Gforce said:

All is well so far

The only side effect that kicked in after 8 treatments is that you can feel your urine stream. Definately noticable but really no big deal. If this is the worst, I can handle without even taking Aleve. 

I will check out that other site. 

Cherish the moments

Gforce, glad to hear you're doing well with your treatments! I finished my 39 proton zaps in 2011. It's bizarre, but the memories are fond ones. I hope yours will be, too. ... Ron

• Gforce
    edited February 2020 #7

Cherish the moments

Gforce, glad to hear you're doing well with your treatments! I finished my 39 proton zaps in 2011. It's bizarre, but the memories are fond ones. I hope yours will be, too. ... Ron

Flowmax

Dr. put me on Flowmax. I now feel perfectly normal. Today will be treatment 16. If this PT does it's job, it will be the best decisiion I have ever made. No side effects so far. Fingers crossed.