Ca-125 inching up

zsazsa1
zsazsa1 Member Posts: 565 Member

I'm worrying.  My Ca-125 was around 30 at diagnosis, and years beforehand, had been in the low single digits, so I figured it was a valid predictor for me.  It went up after surgery (1a UPSC/clear cell but isolated tumor cells found in one of the two sentinel nodes) to the 70s from post-op inflammation, but then slowly declined with recovery and chemo to just under 10.  A couple of months ago it was 11.  Okay, no big deal.  But a couple of days ago it was 13.6.

I'm worried.  I know it's not much, but it seems to me that it's going in the wrong direction, consistently.

Has anyone else who has NOT had a recurrence at that time seen their Ca-125 creep up?

Comments

• zsazsa1
    Actually, Ca125 was 36 at

Actually, Ca125 was 36 at diagnosis.

• LisaPizza
    LisaPizza Member Posts: 358 Member
    Since treatment, mine bounces

Since treatment, mine bounces around between 8.8 and 12.0. The last two it increased by a similar amount as you, from 8.8 to 11.0. In the chart below the first was preop, and the high value (64) was postop (surgery 11/27/17), and the next 6 were after each chemo.

11/1/2017

12/12/2017

64.0 (H)

12/29/2017

1/8/2018

1/29/2018

2/19/2018

3/12/2018

3/24/2018

4/2/2018

10/15/2018

1/9/2019

4/17/2019

7/15/2019

11/18/2019

• zsazsa1
    I just realized that it may

I just realized that it may be due to the procedure I recently had.  It could definitely have caused some inflammatory response.  I'm convincing myself that it's because of that, and that it will be lower next time.

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 961 Member
    It is still in the normal range too

It does go up with pelvic procedures.  The next draw could just be a little sooner than usual.  Then you have done everything you can.  

• zsazsa1
    I had a liver biopsy done,

I had a liver biopsy done, which involved a rather traumatic catheterization of the external jugular vein.  Wound up with a clot in the external jugular vein.  I did some reading about clots and Ca125 levels, and found studies which showed that Ca125 was elevated with pulmonary emboli.  So I'm hoping it's up from the traumatic catheterization and the thrombus.  The news about rising Ca125 was otherwise very discouraging - showed that rising levels that were within the normal range predicted recurrences.  I'm hoping the next one is lower, trying not to think about it.

• Forherself
    Anti inflammatories

Do you take them?  I read that cancer cells can use inflammation process to access blood and lymph supply.  Taking an anti inflammatory isolates the cells if they do exist..  I take a low dose of Ibuprofen every day.   And I read that the CA 125 is related to epithelial linings. .  And that would include your pulmonary tract.  You did have a biopsy of your cuff too I think.  Anyway, Prayers that it goes WAY down next test.  

• takingcontrol58
    takingcontrol58 Member Posts: 272 Member
    anti inflammatories- aspirin vs. ibuprofen

zsazsa1,

I would recommend staying away from ibuprofen (motrin, advil) as it is known to cause liver damage.

And you just had a liver biopsy.

You might want to take a low dose aspirin each day. Aspirin is well known to reduce the risk of all cancer by 25% 

and targets inflammation, which is one of the key drivers of cancer. 

Forherself, you might want to consider switching to low dose aspirin.

Takingcontrol58

• Forherself
    Well

My husband is a family doctor, so I asked him his opinion.   he agrees with you on the liver risk.  SO I will begin taking a baby aspirin instead.   He said it will be good for. my heart too.  

• ichiotti
    ichiotti Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2020 #10
    I’m I over thinking by CA 125 slight increase

I am trying not to read to much into this but my CA 125 levels have always been consistent and low. June 2018 diagnosed with 

FIGO grade 1 stage 111C 1,  finished Chemo treatment 2018 and radiation February 2019. 

Pre-surgey was only a 10 and post surgery dropped to a 3. During chemo and up to December 2019 my labs where <6 but this month draw was 7. I reached out to my oncologist and the nurse said the number is consider normal due to being below 35 and also numbers can vary.... 

I’m I over thinking this?  Should I just let it go and wait until next months labs?

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    ichiotti said:

I’m I over thinking by CA 125 slight increase

I am trying not to read to much into this but my CA 125 levels have always been consistent and low. June 2018 diagnosed with 

FIGO grade 1 stage 111C 1,  finished Chemo treatment 2018 and radiation February 2019. 

Pre-surgey was only a 10 and post surgery dropped to a 3. During chemo and up to December 2019 my labs where <6 but this month draw was 7. I reached out to my oncologist and the nurse said the number is consider normal due to being below 35 and also numbers can vary.... 

I’m I over thinking this?  Should I just let it go and wait until next months labs?

Not a consistent indicator

You don't say what kind of uterine cancer you have, but CA-125 is considered more of a marker for ovarian cancer and probably is more of a concern if you have UPSC which is more similar to ovarian cancer than say endometrial adenocarcinoma. With such low numbers, it may not be a good indicator of something brewing for you and is causing unnecessary worry.

CA-125 also fluctuates with inflammation in the body like when it may be fighting an infection (it's flu/cold season) or when you have a procedure. A pattern of steady rise would be a bit concerning, but where you are at now, having it checked during follow-ups should be enough without undo concern unless you are having other symptoms.

Life really is nerve-wracking following treatment because it can be hard to internalize that you may actually have been cured by what you went through. It takes a few years to start maybe believing that. Hang in there and live your life between those appointments for all you are worth. 

• zsazsa1
    MAbound said:

Not a consistent indicator

You don't say what kind of uterine cancer you have, but CA-125 is considered more of a marker for ovarian cancer and probably is more of a concern if you have UPSC which is more similar to ovarian cancer than say endometrial adenocarcinoma. With such low numbers, it may not be a good indicator of something brewing for you and is causing unnecessary worry.

CA-125 also fluctuates with inflammation in the body like when it may be fighting an infection (it's flu/cold season) or when you have a procedure. A pattern of steady rise would be a bit concerning, but where you are at now, having it checked during follow-ups should be enough without undo concern unless you are having other symptoms.

Life really is nerve-wracking following treatment because it can be hard to internalize that you may actually have been cured by what you went through. It takes a few years to start maybe believing that. Hang in there and live your life between those appointments for all you are worth. 

Thank you, MA, but I did have

Thank you, MA, but I did have UPSC/clear cell.  I posted again - it's up to 15.something as of yesterday.

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    zsazsa1 said:

Thank you, MA, but I did have

Thank you, MA, but I did have UPSC/clear cell.  I posted again - it's up to 15.something as of yesterday.

I'm sorry if that was

I'm sorry if that was confusing. I was responding to ichiotti rather than your thread.