Waiting and wondering

worriedson714
worriedson714 Member Posts: 333 Member
edited January 2020 in Colorectal Cancer #1

So now me and my dad are waiting to go to ann arbor for his second surgery . But after the pathalogy report I still have alot of questions . Like one of things in the pathalogy report is that my dad's cancer is grade 1 tissue . Does anyone know what that means if its grade 1 tissue ? Also one of things the doctor said is that the radiation and chemotherpy had no affect on my dad's tumor . Which is why there doing the second surgery not more chemo . I am just thinking thats weird anyone else ever hear of that ? 

Comments

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    I can’t help you with answers

I can’t help you with answers but I know how you must feel. It’s tough to know what to ask and when to ask it. I can only suggest you write these questions down and when you next see the doctor, ask him/her. I keep notes all through my treatment. I could never remember everything so it was easier to write it down.

Good luck. Hang in there.

k

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Have you dad call the surgeon

Your dad can call - and you can listen in - and ask for the Doctor to explain in layman's terms exactly what Grade 1 Tissue means, and anything else you may have questoins about.   He is working for your Dad, and should take the time to make everything clear and understandable (is that a word?).

It seems like there is an information overload every time you go to the Doctors, especially at the beginning. My Oncolgist got used to me really quickly, when I would stop him, and have him explain something to me in details that I understood. 

Wishing your dad all the best. 

Tru

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Trubrit said:

Your dad can call - and you can listen in - and ask for the Doctor to explain in layman's terms exactly what Grade 1 Tissue means, and anything else you may have questoins about.   He is working for your Dad, and should take the time to make everything clear and understandable (is that a word?).

It seems like there is an information overload every time you go to the Doctors, especially at the beginning. My Oncolgist got used to me really quickly, when I would stop him, and have him explain something to me in details that I understood. 

Tru

Agreed

I agree with TruBrit.  The doctors work for your Dad, and you and he should slow them down and make them explain things to both of your satisfaction.  

• Capox Dude
    Capox Dude Member Posts: 122 Member
    Trubrit said:

Tru

Trubrit Nailed IT

They work for your dad - and with his permission, his family.   Don't feel sheepish or embarrased to ask anything you want or do not understand.  A good doctor will not mind.  Informed choices is how we beat this thing.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    U of M

I'm assuming you are going to U of M in Ann Arbor which is a very good hospital.  I'm not sure when your next doctor's appointment is going to be, but these questions should definitely be addressed before another major surgery is performed.  I'm confused as to what they performed with the first surgery?  Did they try to remove the tumor or just go straight for chemo/radiation?  Wishing your father well.  You are a great son that wants to help and a wonderful caregiver.  Please make sure you are there when he talks to his doctor.

Kim

• SophDan2
    SophDan2 Member Posts: 150 Member
    Just found this.

How are tumor grades classified?

Grading systems differ depending on the type of cancer. In general, tumors are graded as 1, 2, 3, or 4, depending on the amount of abnormality. In Grade 1 tumors, the tumor cells and the organization of the tumor tissue appear close to normal. These tumors tend to grow and spread slowly. In contrast, the cells and tissue of Grade 3 and Grade 4 tumors do not look like normal cells and tissue. Grade 3 and Grade 4 tumors tend to grow rapidly and spread faster than tumors with a lower grade.

Been quite a while since I was last on the forum, as I have been holding steady since November 2019. I do occasionally jump on, jsut don't always speak  up.

Be well all!!!!

• Trubrit
    edited January 2020 #8
    SophDan2 said:

Just found this.

How are tumor grades classified?

Grading systems differ depending on the type of cancer. In general, tumors are graded as 1, 2, 3, or 4, depending on the amount of abnormality. In Grade 1 tumors, the tumor cells and the organization of the tumor tissue appear close to normal. These tumors tend to grow and spread slowly. In contrast, the cells and tissue of Grade 3 and Grade 4 tumors do not look like normal cells and tissue. Grade 3 and Grade 4 tumors tend to grow rapidly and spread faster than tumors with a lower grade.

Been quite a while since I was last on the forum, as I have been holding steady since November 2019. I do occasionally jump on, jsut don't always speak  up.

Be well all!!!!

Hi SophDan

Be sure and visit us around the 12th Feb, OK.

Tru

• Atlanta2794
    Atlanta2794 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2020 #9

I am 48 years old and newly diagnosed on 1/16/2020 with rectal cancer.  Initial colonoscopy said 6 cm mass, however CT scan shows 1.9 X 0.6 cm.  I have since had a pelvic MRI.  Biopsy from colonoscopy. positive for cancer.  Surgeon says it's slow growing and likely a T-1 or T-2.  CT scan showed it has not spread And likely no lymph node involvement.  How can they tell if lymph nodes are/not involved by CT and MRI?  I thought that requires a biopsy.

I'm getting a second opinion on Thursday.  How do you know who to go to and make the right decisions?

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited January 2020 #10

I am 48 years old and newly diagnosed on 1/16/2020 with rectal cancer.  Initial colonoscopy said 6 cm mass, however CT scan shows 1.9 X 0.6 cm.  I have since had a pelvic MRI.  Biopsy from colonoscopy. positive for cancer.  Surgeon says it's slow growing and likely a T-1 or T-2.  CT scan showed it has not spread And likely no lymph node involvement.  How can they tell if lymph nodes are/not involved by CT and MRI?  I thought that requires a biopsy.

I'm getting a second opinion on Thursday.  How do you know who to go to and make the right decisions?

Atlanta2794

Welcome to the group that you never wanted to join, and I'm sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis.  You have come to a very good place for answers and help. 

I'd suggest you post this to the main Colorectal board, introduce yourself so that others can see your situation and help you get through this as well.

It's a good thing that they don't suspect that it has spread.  The only way they can actually find out if it has spread to lymph nodes is to do surgery, take them out and then send them to pathology.

It's always a good thing to get a second opinion.  You just have to go with your feelings on who you think is being upfront with you with your questions.  If they seem rushed, or don't want to give you specifics, then find a doctor you are comfortable with.

Wishing you the best of luck going forward and come back with any other questions.

Kim

• Trubrit

Welcome to the forum, Atlanta

Sorry you find yourself here. Its not the happening place for sure. 

I'm sure our freinds here would love to welcome you and answer your questions, but like Kim said, it would be better if you started your very own thread on the forum home page. That way we don't hijack Worriedson's thread. 

Here is the link to the forum homepage  just click on Add new Forum topic and you're good to go - you can even copy and paste your post. 

I am glad that they have caught you at an early stage.  As for knowing how to go to, all I can say is trust your gut. If you are not comfortable with who you are with now, then seek out someone else. 

Look forward to seeing your new thread. 

Tru