Getting ducks in a row

SnapDragon2
SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 714 Member

Question:  How many here had to have blood with APR surgery?

I want my donor to be a family member if I do need blood.

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Blood

My surgery didn't require blood, but had to sign a waiver that I'd accept the hospital blood if needed.  I'm sure if you arranged it with the hospital prior to surgery they might work with you, but they might require some very strict guidelines.  Ask your provider and hospital well before initial surgery just to make sure.

Kim

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Blood

I had to get two bags of blood when I was going through chemo, as my Red count dropped to dangerous levels.  I confess, I would look up at those bags and wonder whose blood was dripping into my veins and then coursing through my body.  

At the end of the day - and it was a long process - I was grateful to whoever donated. It is a gift indeed and I appreciate all of those good folks who take time out of their day to donate. 

But, if you can be prepared, that is a great idea. Hope you don't need it though. 

Tru

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    Transfusion

When I had APR, I had to have a transfusion on day 2 after surgery. My white cell count would not come up so they did the transfusion. My WBC has been chronically low.

k

• SnapDragon2
    Thank you!  The hospital said

Thank you!  The hospital said I could use a family donor but they had to be there with fresh vein waiting :)

• SoCal42
    SoCal42 Member Posts: 78
    Blood

No blood needed, had robotic APR surgery

• SnapDragon2
    SoCal42 said:

Blood

No blood needed, had robotic APR surgery

Thank you!  I am also having

Thank you!  I am also having robotic surgery.  All of you have made me feel better about this.  Merry Christmas!!!!