News: Cancer survivors have higher risk of dying of heart disease

Trubrit
Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
edited November 2019 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Just read this in the news. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-50516536

I say damned if you do, and damned if you don't. 

Another link on the same subject https://www.bbc.com/news/health-49770429

Tru

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Geez

How depressing.  Although, I've heard of many people living 20-30 years after doing treatment and then die from something else or old age.  Guess I'll just have to let it be in God's hands. 

Kim

• myAZmountain
    myAZmountain Member Posts: 417 Member
    Wonder what Chemo

WOnder what chemo the young woman in the second article was on--I had quite a few side effects from Avastin related to the Cardiovasvular system, Ectopic beats, very high blood pressure. I read that Avastin was pulled by the FDA for breast CA patients (but still used for CRC???) My oncologist said there was no study that showed it improved longevity by more than a month so I did not take the oral Avastin another Oncologist recommended. 

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Heart problems

Yes, tragically true, based on my experience. 

• zx10guy
    zx10guy Member Posts: 273 Member

Read both articles.  I am currently dealing with two heart/vascular issues.  I was diagnosed with a dilated aortic root last year.  It was caught on one of my routine CT scans.  It was verified via echocardiogram.  It's interesting since then the radiologists reading my CT scans haven't mentioned it again.  The second is high blood pressure which developed a few months after discovering the dilated aortic root and while I was already under the care of a cardiologist.  My doc knows I've been through chemo but hasn't said anything about if the aortic dilation is due to chemo.  He was more alarmed that at my age and physical fitness that I developed this condition...leading him to think I may have a genetic predisposition to this.

It's interesting going into the practice for my exams.  Everyone is staring at me as if why the heck I'm in there as I have a very athletic build.  My doc even told me it pains him to tell me to stop weight training but that is what they're telling me.  They're fearful that with the dilation of the aorta that the exertion I do while lifting might cause an aortic aneurysm and I instantly drop dead in the gym.  His recommendation was for me to keep the max weight I work out at 30lbs.  I laughed at this recommendation.  I would get bored to death before getting any benefit from doing the reps with 30lbs to cause any burn in my muscles.  I have adjusted my workouts where I don't hold my breath when pushing the last rep or going real heavy.  So far this seems to be working as the last echo I had showed no change in the arortic dilation.  The other doctor I'm seeing in the practice focusing on the vascular issue has been more hard nosed about my insistance on working out.  She hasn't seen me in a bit and will probably have a "heart attack" when she sees I've packed on about another 10lbs of muscle and pushed the max weight of my exercises up....benching 245lbs now.

So as far as the articles are concerned, I don't fit their narrative.  Could it still be from chemo?  It's a possibility.  But I have been under a ton of stress with the divorce, having to fiind a new job (twice), and child visitation issues.  And my heart/vascular problems pretty much lined up with when all of the aforementioned started.

• Trubrit
    zx10guy said:

Read both articles.  I am currently dealing with two heart/vascular issues.  I was diagnosed with a dilated aortic root last year.  It was caught on one of my routine CT scans.  It was verified via echocardiogram.  It's interesting since then the radiologists reading my CT scans haven't mentioned it again.  The second is high blood pressure which developed a few months after discovering the dilated aortic root and while I was already under the care of a cardiologist.  My doc knows I've been through chemo but hasn't said anything about if the aortic dilation is due to chemo.  He was more alarmed that at my age and physical fitness that I developed this condition...leading him to think I may have a genetic predisposition to this.

It's interesting going into the practice for my exams.  Everyone is staring at me as if why the heck I'm in there as I have a very athletic build.  My doc even told me it pains him to tell me to stop weight training but that is what they're telling me.  They're fearful that with the dilation of the aorta that the exertion I do while lifting might cause an aortic aneurysm and I instantly drop dead in the gym.  His recommendation was for me to keep the max weight I work out at 30lbs.  I laughed at this recommendation.  I would get bored to death before getting any benefit from doing the reps with 30lbs to cause any burn in my muscles.  I have adjusted my workouts where I don't hold my breath when pushing the last rep or going real heavy.  So far this seems to be working as the last echo I had showed no change in the arortic dilation.  The other doctor I'm seeing in the practice focusing on the vascular issue has been more hard nosed about my insistance on working out.  She hasn't seen me in a bit and will probably have a "heart attack" when she sees I've packed on about another 10lbs of muscle and pushed the max weight of my exercises up....benching 245lbs now.

So as far as the articles are concerned, I don't fit their narrative.  Could it still be from chemo?  It's a possibility.  But I have been under a ton of stress with the divorce, having to fiind a new job (twice), and child visitation issues.  And my heart/vascular problems pretty much lined up with when all of the aforementioned started.

Doubt we'll ever know

I have blockage in my aortic arch and abdominal aorta. I figure, and I'm probably right, that it is due somewhat to genetics  (I just discovered my biological father, who also had an abdoninnal aortic aneurysm)  and my diet. 

I know there are some members, as above, who do KNOW that their heart problems were caused by chemo.  I think it is just something else people should be aware of when they start treatment. I was told of the usual side effects, but definitely no where near all of them. 

I hope you are able to continue your weight lifting in safety. 

Tru

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    Heart Problems

I have be NED ever since 2010!  Last yearI was diagnosed with an a-fib heart!  Even at that,I think it will be my lungs that get me.  But I am already 87, so cannot complain I didn't live long enough. LOL

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    I would have guessed at those

I would have guessed at those results, if they didn't announce them, the shock, the stress, the toxic treatments, the changes in activity levels. Lots of reasons why cancer survivors might have health issues beyond their diagnosis. In my case it involves vacillating between doing what is healthy and doing what pleases me. Pop was over 88yo when he stopped treatment for prostate cancer. Whether he'd had enough or just didn't enjoy a quality of life, any sense of purpose, I couldn't say, maybe all of it. Mom just got back from a month in a skilled-care facility, for severe hip pain from a degenerative hip joint and nerve inflammation, she's 86 now. In both cases, diminished mobility preceeded many of the worst issues, so I know I need to keep moving and doing, and get the ankle/foot surgeries that will allow that level of activity to continue. Philisophically I'm more worried about having meaning and joy in my life, so I indulge, in a moderate fashion, but I suppose that could all change with heart issues, it would be another "oh, sh*t" moment in a life that's had more than a few. A little fear/awareness is likely a good thing. Thanks Tru..........................................................Dave

• Trubrit
    Patti

I know of only one of our forum members who died of heat attack, and that was Patti.  She was still relativly young. 

I think I would like to go out quickly than slowly, painfully, so a heart attack at 92 is what I'll go with. 

Tru