Stage 4 colorectal cancer mets to liver and tiny nodule in lung

D7
D7 Member Posts: 2

Hey All,

My mother was recently diagnosed stage 4 colorectal cancer w mets to liver an dtiny nodule in lungs.  Was on oxyplatin and avastin and 5fu for about 6 months (2 rounds) and now on maintenance chemo (just 5fu and avastin).  Cea was initially 587 prior to treatment and went down to 7.1 and since maintenance chemo of 4 sessions has risen from 7.1 to 7.5 and then to 10.9.  Scans have shown shrinkage in all areas.  tumor in colon was nearly completely gone.  looking at next options.  i thibk docs are being to conservative with going straight to maintenance so soon.  anyone have anything simiilar that they are dealing with or success stories?  no need for sympathy posts.  just need medical opinions from someone who has dealt with similar situation.  best to everyone!  stay strong!

Comments

• myAZmountain
    myAZmountain Member Posts: 417 Member
    My personal belief

My personal belief is that surgical removal of the primary tumor, and mets if possible is the best scenario, I had tumor in cecum-ileum with a mets to omentum and to lungs, surgery to remove primary and the omental met, followed by 9 rounds chemo--currently no active disease from last scan.  I feel like the best outcomes I have seen here on the board have been surgical removal followed by chemo (limited amount of chemo also) Praying for your mother!

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member

My personal belief

My personal belief is that surgical removal of the primary tumor, and mets if possible is the best scenario, I had tumor in cecum-ileum with a mets to omentum and to lungs, surgery to remove primary and the omental met, followed by 9 rounds chemo--currently no active disease from last scan.  I feel like the best outcomes I have seen here on the board have been surgical removal followed by chemo (limited amount of chemo also) Praying for your mother!

Did you have the met in the

Did you have the met in the lung removed or did it go away from chemo?

• myAZmountain
    myAZmountain Member Posts: 417 Member
    abita said:

Did you have the met in the

Did you have the met in the lung removed or did it go away from chemo?

Lung mets

The biopsy positive  lung nodule and another lung nodule (PET Scan positive)  both shrank and calcified with chemo, there were a few others that never changed from the first scan so they feel they are not malignant.  Get scanned in December praying things still the same!

• PamRav
    PamRav Member Posts: 348 Member
    Same

I was diagnosed with pretty much the same as you describe your mothers. Although initially the little lung lesions that they thought were cancer we’re not.… The plan of care that my oncologist set out was to give me enough chemo to shrink the tumor‘s and then we removed the colon tumor Surgically and at the same operative setting abalated part of the liver and resected  part of the liver. This was back in the spring of 2017. I had chemo postoperatively for five sessions. And was disease free for one year. I was scanned every three months during that time. Unfortunately I had metastasis to my lung In August 2018. I gone through 10 rounds of regular chemo Avastin are in a chicken and five a few and then was putting on on maintenance of 5F you and Avastin for another 10 rounds. I developed complications from the chemo maintenance and have been off chemo since June of this year I had a scan on Monday and I will find out soon whether I am clear or not. 

Has anyone suggested surgery to remove the tumor from your mothers bowel?   I realize surgery does depend on general overall health age and other medical history. 

If she hasn’t had a second opinion already I might suggest have a second opinion just to be sure you had all the options laid out for you 

P

• PamRav
    Ha.

Regarding the above I did it using the voice access on my computer please note there were no chickens involved in my chemo it was Irenotican, 5fu and Avastin 

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    Lol

I am pretty good but I couldn’t figure out the chicken part, thanks it actually makes sense. I can see how voice might change that to chicken!!

• D7
    D7 Member Posts: 2
    PamRav said:

Same

I was diagnosed with pretty much the same as you describe your mothers. Although initially the little lung lesions that they thought were cancer we’re not.… The plan of care that my oncologist set out was to give me enough chemo to shrink the tumor‘s and then we removed the colon tumor Surgically and at the same operative setting abalated part of the liver and resected  part of the liver. This was back in the spring of 2017. I had chemo postoperatively for five sessions. And was disease free for one year. I was scanned every three months during that time. Unfortunately I had metastasis to my lung In August 2018. I gone through 10 rounds of regular chemo Avastin are in a chicken and five a few and then was putting on on maintenance of 5F you and Avastin for another 10 rounds. I developed complications from the chemo maintenance and have been off chemo since June of this year I had a scan on Monday and I will find out soon whether I am clear or not. 

Has anyone suggested surgery to remove the tumor from your mothers bowel?   I realize surgery does depend on general overall health age and other medical history. 

If she hasn’t had a second opinion already I might suggest have a second opinion just to be sure you had all the options laid out for you 

P

sorry for the delay.  YEs

sorry for the delay.  YEs surgery was discussed but then possibly taken off the table.  getting a second opinion in December so we will see if there are more options.  How did your recent scan turn out??

• PamRav
    My scan

Errr not perfect.  Lung nodule is back as well as one lymph node lighting up. Currently doing radiation, trying to stay off chemo as long as possible. 

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    PamRav said:

My scan

Errr not perfect.  Lung nodule is back as well as one lymph node lighting up. Currently doing radiation, trying to stay off chemo as long as possible. 

Sorry to hear that. Hope it

Sorry to hear that. Hope it shrinks quickly.  And I hope you were able to enjoy the chemo break.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    PamRav said:

My scan

No!

I am sorry to hear this news, Pam...

How long is long? Maybe you can open your own post, and keep us updated. You are in our thoughts and prayers. 

Tru