Mouth Sore

abita
abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member

I finally got the mouth sore side effect. How do you get rid of one? Been rinsing with biotene. Do the antibiotics they give when taking erbutix help?

This is very painful.

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Baking soda

The only thing I used on my mouth sores was a mixture of Baking Soda, Salt & Warm Water.  If I was dilligent and swoshed every day, it kept them at bay. If I was not dilligent, then I would pay for it. 

It tastes rather gross, but my mouth always felt much better after I had swoshed. 

Tru

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Agree with Tru

I started swishing at least 3-4 times a day every since my first day of chemo.  So far, no mouth sores (in the midst of my 5th round.)  You need to be religious about it.

I was given a lidocaine mouth rinse when I had sores on Folfox, back in 2008.

Alice

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Miracle Mouth wash

When joining here the Miracle Mouth wash was the thing that was working for almost everyone.  Ask your doctor for it.  It worked for me and mine weren't so bad as others.  Hope the sores get better.

Kim

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    When I got mouth sores, my

When I got mouth sores, my doc prescribed magic mouthwash. It contains diphenhydramine, nystatin, lidocaine, hydrocortisone, tetracycline, and Maalox or Mylanta. The pharmacist mixes it up for you. It worked well.

k

• abita
    Thanks all! This is so

Thanks all! This is so painful. I sent a message over to prescribe me something and will call once I get to office if no one has responded. I 

• abita
    I am getting a steroid

I am getting a steroid mouthwash. And was told to never let side effects get so bad as they want to help me as soon as possible 

• abita
    How long does it take the

How long does it take the mouth wash to fix these? This is so painful. Last night, I coud't fall asleep because of the pain, and eventually just cried in bed.

• Annabelle41415
    edited November 2019 #9
    abita said:

How long does it take the

How long does it take the mouth wash to fix these? This is so painful. Last night, I coud't fall asleep because of the pain, and eventually just cried in bed.

Awwwww

They are right, never let it go that long as it is easier to control at first symptoms than after it has gotten so bad it's hard to catch up.  If, after a couple days, it doesn't seem better, make sure you call your doctor back to let them know.  This should never be an issue to keep you up and cry yourself to sleep.  Hope you are feeling better by now.

Kim

• abita
    edited November 2019 #10

Awwwww

They are right, never let it go that long as it is easier to control at first symptoms than after it has gotten so bad it's hard to catch up.  If, after a couple days, it doesn't seem better, make sure you call your doctor back to let them know.  This should never be an issue to keep you up and cry yourself to sleep.  Hope you are feeling better by now.

Kim

I finally got it under

I finally got it under control. I will never let it get that bad again. So horrible 

• Annabelle41415
    abita said:

I finally got it under

I finally got it under control. I will never let it get that bad again. So horrible 

Great

So glad to hear.  Yeah, never let symptoms get so out of control that they bring you to tears or to your knees.  There is usually something that can be done.  Good to hear you are feeling better and hope you are getting better sleep now.

Kim