opiods after surgery?

I would like to hear from people about their experience with pain-killers after surgery.  I had a bad experience with opiods after a hip replacement, so told the doctor at my pre-op that I wanted something else.  She suggested Tramadol rather than the Oxy that is usually prescribed.  Since this is surgery that affects the abdomen, I don't want anything that will make me throw up (the Oxy did).  What has been the experience of others on this wonderful list?

Comments

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    Narcotics

I had an open hysterectomy. Besides what they gave me in the hospital, I only took narcotics for one day after I was home. Switched to extra strength Tylenol after that and had no problems. Good luck. 

• Fridays Child
    Fridays Child Member Posts: 277 Member
    I'm with you

I don't like to take opiods and have generally refused them.  I don't remember now what they gave me during surgery (it was in 2012), but I did not take any opiods afterwards.  I had the robotic surgery.  They gave me a prescription for Oxycontin but I never filled it.  I think when I got my port last year the surgeon gave me a prescription for Tramadol but I never filled that one, either.  If they think you will need the opiods, ask if they can prescribe something to prevent the nausea.  Oh - and try to avoid sneezing!  I sneezed once in the car on the way home from the surgery - that was NOT fun!

After the hysterectomy, the surgeon told me to take ibuprofen - I think it was 800 mg - every whatever hours and not to skip so the pain wouldn't get bad.  I didn't have any trouble with that protocol.

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 961 Member
    I do not tolerate codeine.

I do not tolerate codeine.  It makes me very nauseated.  My hysterectomy anesthesia made me very nauseated.  I never threw. up.  When I woke up I told the nurse I was extremely nauseated.  They gave me medication IV for it, whcih immediately took away the nausea.   I had back surgery two months ago.  Speaking to the anesthesologist right before surgery , he asked me about previous anesthesia experience.  I told him what happened to me.  He said "Oh you were nauseatee because of the narcotics they gave you.  I will change that".  I feel like writing him a thank you note because I neer had a moments nausea with the second surgery.   Maybe talking with your doctors will help and they can medicate you with outher drugs that are equally effective .   There are medications that you can take.  And also medication for nausea.  If you don't relieve your pain, movement is hard.  And movement is the most important thing after surgery, in my opinion.  I did have robotic surgery, but the surgeon said my uterus was too big to take out that way, so I had the abdominal incision too.  I don't remember much pain at all after surgery, and I took narcotics for about 3 days, then stopped and took Ibuprofen.

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    Another Option

What you need will depend on what kind of hysterectomy you have.

I had an open abdomen radical hysterectomy, so it was as extensive as it gets. They started me out on IV dilaudid post-op, which was a huge mistake, and I developed ileus that prolonged my hospital stay. Getting upright and walking is critical to getting your intestines to wake up quickly after they paralyze them to do the surgery and opioids, besides being constipating, can make you too groggy or unsteady to walk without help.

It doesn't sound like you are headed for the open procedure, but if for some reason you do, ask if IV Toradol (basically IV Ibuprofen) would be an alternative for you for the more heavy duty pain that procedure causes. It's like a miracle because it treats the inflammation causing the pain rather than suppressing your sensation of pain.  It was so much more effective for the pain than the dilaudid, and I was not groggy at all with it. It made a huge difference for me once I was switched to it.

You can only be on Toradol for 3-5 days because it's hard on the kidneys if you take it longer, but you want the IV out ASAP anyway so that you can get out of the hospital as quick as you can. Hospitals are no place to be when you vulnerable to the germs that abide there. So whichever procedure you have, remember it's in your own best interest to get up and walking right away no matter how you feel and don't sleep flat for the first few days after your surgery. It will make your recovery so much easier.

• barnyardgal
    barnyardgal Member Posts: 272 Member
    I got sick when they gave me

I got sick when they gave me oxy. I just took Tylenol and an ice pack. It was fine.

• LisaPizza
    LisaPizza Member Posts: 358 Member
    You might find that different

You might find that different opioids may cause you to throw up,  but then others won't. I had the same misgivings, because Vicodin made me throw up when I had my wisdom teeth out, and caused a dry socket, no fun at all. But cough syrup with codeine,  Norco, and Percocet have not made me throw up.

• SF73
    SF73 Member Posts: 317 Member
    Chiming in with my experience

Chiming in with my experience. I had laparoscopic surgery. Didn’t need opioids at all. They cause constipation. Avoiding it unless you absolutely need it sounds like a good strategy.

• zsazsa1
    zsazsa1 Member Posts: 565 Member
    I had a lap hysterectomy too,

I had a lap hysterectomy too, and I really didn't need much of anything afterwards.  Recovery was very quick and easy.  I don't remember even taking Tylenol or ibuprofen.

• jan9wils
    jan9wils Member Posts: 202 Member
    I took ibuprofen. Most of my

I took ibuprofen. Most of my pain was from gas so anything they recommend you do, breathing exercizes, walking, etc to release the gas will be helpful for you. Pain meds don't seem to help with gas pain.

• smargaret
    smargaret Member Posts: 15
    Opiods after surgery?

Yes, I should have mentioned that the surgery will be laporscopic and robotic.  I go home the same day if there are no complications.

• Armywife
    Armywife Member Posts: 451 Member
    Pain meds

I had IV tylenol in the hospital and woke up with no pain.  They did prescribe a narcotic but I never even needed to take one - just tylenol or advil for a few days and that was it.  

• MugsBugs
    MugsBugs Member Posts: 111 Member
    Tramadol

After my surgery I was prescribed Percocet! I tried plain Tylenol because I was afraid of afraid of opioids.  After 16 hours I caved and took the Percocet - it was wonderful - the pain was manageable and I slept.  I stopped after 3 days.  My mother had hip replacement surgery.  She is allergic to most pain meds.  They tried her on Tramadol before her surgery to see how she tolerated it.  It worked for her and she was able to use it after her surgery.

• Tamlen
    Tamlen Member Posts: 343 Member
    Two tylenol and that was it

Like some of the others, I didn't need anything after getting home. I had DaVinci laprascopic surgery and they sent me home with an opioid prescription, but since opioids and opiates all make me very sick (lots of nausea and vomiting), I never took them. When I first got home I took a couple of tylenol, fearing the pain that would surely set in, but it never did. The pain I did have was totally manageable without meds, even climbing stairs and getting in and out of bed. I hope that proves true for you, too.

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Tylenol

I've had at least 7 abdominal surgeries.  After the initial surgery day given oxy (also sometimes gave anti nausea meds) I was fine with just Tylenol 

My best to you

Kathy

• Northwoodsgirl
    Northwoodsgirl Member Posts: 571
    Post op pain meds

I had open procedure and took Norco and Tylenol in between Norco. Open hyterectomy surgical incision is bigger and more painful than the small stab type wounds of laprscopic surgery. I had my gallbladder removed laparoscopically and only took Tylenol for a few days.