Tears come too easy

abita
abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member

Does  anyone else cry easily at emotional scenes now on TV? I had to stop watching This is Us after I was diagnosed. I love the show 911 but I am guaranteed to cry. I wonder if it is hormonal and has an actual physical cause or if now I truly know how easy it is to lose it all and it is all my fragile mental state.

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Emotions

I was an emotional wreck during chemo.  I couldn't even watch commercials. 

I'm not sure how old you are, but chemo threw me into menopause, so that was hormonal.  It will be interesting to hear if the men got/get emotional or if its just us women. 

Just roll with it. Tape the shows, and play it by ear. Some days may be better than others, and you can watch your shows.

Tru

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Emotions

Definitely threw me over the edge several times as I'm normally an emotional person anyway.  Going through treatment was an emotional toll on me, plus being in pain from the radiation made it worse.  A lot of people go through an emotional rollercoaster.  Tape some of your programs, like Tru said.  BTW 911 is one of my favorite shows.

Kim

• lhduffer
    lhduffer Member Posts: 90 Member
    edited October 2019 #4
    I cry more easily as well

I don't know if there is a correlation, but I do tend to tear up over some shows more than before.  Of course real life stories bring me to tears more easily as well.  The strange part is that my tears now "sting" which they didn't prior to treatments.  My last chemo was 7/2016 so I find that odd as well.

• myAZmountain
    myAZmountain Member Posts: 417 Member
    Hurts to cry on Oxaliplatin

I remember wanting  to cry and knowing it would hurt like crazy during Folfox--seemed very cruel indeed.  I always cry at the clips of soldiers coming home and surprising their kiddos.

• Annabelle41415

Hurts to cry on Oxaliplatin

I remember wanting  to cry and knowing it would hurt like crazy during Folfox--seemed very cruel indeed.  I always cry at the clips of soldiers coming home and surprising their kiddos.

Oh my goodness

Yes, crying does hurt while on Folfox and it seemed like a double whammy that you were crying for some reason and then crying because it hurt to cry.  Just doesn't seem fair.  My SIL is still in the Army and daughter served her time also and everytime there is a video of one of the soldiers coming home my eyes still tear up.  Breaks my heart to watch these kids see their parent for the first time in a long while.  Unfortunately, the doctors never tell you about the change that your body will go through with treatments, including emotionally or physically.

Kim

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    As a guy with some macho

As a guy with some macho tendencies, it pains me to say that after following this long path, I can well up at old songs, old movies, or just a sudden memory while driving in traffic. It could just be getting older too, but I recall things like wanting to watch "Breaking Bad" or "The Bucket List", but putting them off for years, because I really didn't want to deal with stories involving cancer, early in my own fight. Even now, though I don't feel so fragile anymore, it happens regularly enough, and I cover it so well, you probably wouldn't notice unless you were really focusing on me, but it's there, I'm definitely not the stoic I thought I was, and that's okay. Strong feelings about happy stuff balance out the melancholy moments, which aren't bad either. It all feels like having some passion versus just getting through stuff with a minimum of emotion, a state I can retreat to, but don't really want to live in.....................................................Dave

• AnneO1965
    AnneO1965 Member Posts: 182 Member
    I can start bawling for what

I can start bawling for what seems like no reason at all. Didn't used to be that way.. My MO was "Didn't hurt, wouldn't tell you if it did". Now, you look at me cross and I can cry.

• Nazareth
    Nazareth Member Posts: 88 Member

As a guy with some macho

As a guy with some macho tendencies, it pains me to say that after following this long path, I can well up at old songs, old movies, or just a sudden memory while driving in traffic. It could just be getting older too, but I recall things like wanting to watch "Breaking Bad" or "The Bucket List", but putting them off for years, because I really didn't want to deal with stories involving cancer, early in my own fight. Even now, though I don't feel so fragile anymore, it happens regularly enough, and I cover it so well, you probably wouldn't notice unless you were really focusing on me, but it's there, I'm definitely not the stoic I thought I was, and that's okay. Strong feelings about happy stuff balance out the melancholy moments, which aren't bad either. It all feels like having some passion versus just getting through stuff with a minimum of emotion, a state I can retreat to, but don't really want to live in.....................................................Dave

same thing Dave- I think the

same thing Dave- I think the stresses of Cancer, chemo- radiation and the assault on our bodies from it all tend to muck witrh Seratonin levels- which will cause emotional changes- My doc put me on low dose elavil, or one of those type anti-depressants- I was put on it not for depression or anxiety, but because i had issues with continence after my surgery, and that stuff was suppsoed to help with the issue- which it did, and i noticed it also helped me not be so emotional over stupid stuff that normally wouldn't ever have bothered me-

I also think facign death possibility has an effect on emotional well being- i don't know how, perhaps it too slightly alters eratonin levels or soemthing- as facing death possibility is a kinda high stress issue, even if we don'[t think it is- so yeah, i can relate- you aint alone in that- maybe it's the chemo alone- who knows- but goign htrough it definately has side effects like emotions for some- oh well- if soemone asks "Are yo crying?" I say "No of course not, don't be silly, i just caught a wiff of my own brerath and it brought tears to my eyes, that's all"

• LSU2001
    LSU2001 Member Posts: 32 Member
    Crying easy

I have always been a pretty rugged country boy that was taught that men don't cry, we are stoic and here for other emotional people to lean on.  With that crap said, I would like to admit that since my treatments started, I can cry at the drop of a hat or for seeminly no reason at all.  I don't know what caused the change but it was a drastic change.  I went from bottling up almost all my emotion to be "strong" for others and then almost overnight I became an emotional basket case.  I guess I first noticed it being crazy when returning from houston for my 3 month MDA checkup, I heard the Tim Mcgraw song Live like you were Dying and ended up having to pull over on the side of the interstate until I coiuld get contol of my bawling.  Hasn't been that bad since then but I certainly am way more prone to emotional outburst than at any other time in my life. 

Tim

• Annabelle41415
    LSU2001 said:

Crying easy

I have always been a pretty rugged country boy that was taught that men don't cry, we are stoic and here for other emotional people to lean on.  With that crap said, I would like to admit that since my treatments started, I can cry at the drop of a hat or for seeminly no reason at all.  I don't know what caused the change but it was a drastic change.  I went from bottling up almost all my emotion to be "strong" for others and then almost overnight I became an emotional basket case.  I guess I first noticed it being crazy when returning from houston for my 3 month MDA checkup, I heard the Tim Mcgraw song Live like you were Dying and ended up having to pull over on the side of the interstate until I coiuld get contol of my bawling.  Hasn't been that bad since then but I certainly am way more prone to emotional outburst than at any other time in my life. 

Tim

Crying

To me there is nothing wrong with a man crying.  It shows a sensitive side to a man when he does and that he can relate and have empathy for others.  Don't ever be shy about crying, it shows that you are compassionate and caring.

Kim