Brachy Therapy Experiences?

Comments

• Feelingalone74
    Feelingalone74 Member Posts: 243

Brachey Therapy

I had the Brachey and it was not to bad for me except that I had my legs in the air for ove 2 hours. I did not take pain meds for this or get put to sleep, I just did the therapy that lasted about 10 minutes to do the radiation part but the other hours were making sure it was in the right place and other things the doctor was looking for.

Thanks for your response

Thanks for your response colorado. I'm sorry that I had to deal with your legs being in the air for 2 hours . That must have been so uncomfortable for u. Glad the brachytherapy itself wasnt bad.

Hope you are well

• Feelingalone74
    edited October 2019 #23
    Still trying to decide

Still trying to decide whether or not to do brachytherapy as the Doctor doing it will be. Calling me back for the 3rd time to get my answer I need to make the decision by tomorrow.  Ugh! I'm so worried about the long term effects. being I'm only 45 they say it's possible that I may or may not get the long term effects but it's sounds like because I'm younger than most whom get Endometrial cancer that I'm told  I may experience in  my lifetime than women in their 60's getting this kind of cancer. I also dont want the cancer coming back at my vaginal cuff and regret not doing brachytherapy.  I just dont know what to do! Im been given the info on both having vs not having. Neither seems like a good choice if either  way may cause difficulty. I hate the decision is on me and I'm so scared of what could happen if I do or don't have it done. My husband doesnt want to persuade me either way which I get because he doesn't want that put on his shoulders if the wrong decision is made for myself. Has anyone else had this done in their 40's? Kaleena it sounds like u maybe did? And then 8 years late had complications for which I'm sorry to hear.

Feeling scared and unsure.

Any input is appreciated. 

Michelle 

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member

Still trying to decide

Still trying to decide whether or not to do brachytherapy as the Doctor doing it will be. Calling me back for the 3rd time to get my answer I need to make the decision by tomorrow.  Ugh! I'm so worried about the long term effects. being I'm only 45 they say it's possible that I may or may not get the long term effects but it's sounds like because I'm younger than most whom get Endometrial cancer that I'm told  I may experience in  my lifetime than women in their 60's getting this kind of cancer. I also dont want the cancer coming back at my vaginal cuff and regret not doing brachytherapy.  I just dont know what to do! Im been given the info on both having vs not having. Neither seems like a good choice if either  way may cause difficulty. I hate the decision is on me and I'm so scared of what could happen if I do or don't have it done. My husband doesnt want to persuade me either way which I get because he doesn't want that put on his shoulders if the wrong decision is made for myself. Has anyone else had this done in their 40's? Kaleena it sounds like u maybe did? And then 8 years late had complications for which I'm sorry to hear.

Michelle 

Unfortunately, this is a

Unfortunately, this is a decision only you can make. I remember going back and forth before I made my decision. There is a thread 'Let's talk about radiation' that might help you. Several of us had a lot of discussion on making the decision. 

I did go forward with the brachy. Thankfully, I have not had major issues. I used the dialator 2 Xs per week for about 2.5 years. I haven't used it now for about a year. I do have sex about once a month and I do require lubrication.  Also, I have some itching on occassion and use a vitamin E suppository that takes care of it. I am glad that I had the treatment. It gives me a sense of doing everything I could do to fight this awful cancer. My goal was to do what I needed to do, to live. And, be able to put all of this in the rearview mirror. I have mostly succeeded in doing so.... Hope this helps. I know it isn't easy.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    Feelingalone

Feelingalone

Are you at the poiint where you will be starting the bracytherapy soon? Why do the doctors need to know tonarrow? Do you have to make the appointment tomarrow?

I just wonder because for me i remember going back anf forth with the dession to do bracytherapy also. I told my dad at one time i might not do it and then after talking to the doctor one last time I decided to do it. Like i said before i didnt do external radiation though. I felt i needed that extra reasurance that i had done all i could do. I dont think i made the desision though until i was almost ready to do it. 

I do understand the young age feeling. As i mentioned before i was 42 i think when going though treatments.  Its okay to take that into consideration. I did use the dilator a little not much though. I am single and not sexually active so i cant speeak about that but i can tell you that my pelvic exams seem to go okay. 

Its been 3 years this november since i did bracytherapy. No side effects.

I wish you the best in your desision. I know its hard but you can do it.

• Armywife
    Armywife Member Posts: 451 Member

Still trying to decide

Michelle 

Michelle

You've had a lot of decisions to make in the past few months.  I understand - I had to make the same ones, and I am the worst decision-maker on the planet.  I agonize over everything and procrastinate to avoid making decisions.  

All that being said, I want to encourage you to pray about it.  God is wise and He loves His children - He wants to guide us.  Lots of times I have trouble hearing Him, but I think it's because I'm not consistent enough in my communications!  

Blessings to you.  It's all going to be ok.  You've gotten through the big hurdles!

• Feelingalone74
    janaes said:

Feelingalone

Feelingalone

Are you at the poiint where you will be starting the bracytherapy soon? Why do the doctors need to know tonarrow? Do you have to make the appointment tomarrow?

I just wonder because for me i remember going back anf forth with the dession to do bracytherapy also. I told my dad at one time i might not do it and then after talking to the doctor one last time I decided to do it. Like i said before i didnt do external radiation though. I felt i needed that extra reasurance that i had done all i could do. I dont think i made the desision though until i was almost ready to do it. 

I do understand the young age feeling. As i mentioned before i was 42 i think when going though treatments.  Its okay to take that into consideration. I did use the dilator a little not much though. I am single and not sexually active so i cant speeak about that but i can tell you that my pelvic exams seem to go okay. 

Its been 3 years this november since i did bracytherapy. No side effects.

I wish you the best in your desision. I know its hard but you can do it.

Hi Janae, yes I'm at the

Hi Janae, yes I'm at the point I have to make a decision because I only have 7 more pelvic radiations left and they said they have to do the brachytherapy immediately following. 

Yesterday,  reluctantly I told the doctor I'd do it so atleast they could get the appts scheduled .I see my gyno oncologist Wednesday I will seek him for last opinion as he originally said I didnt need it but told me to go for a consultation. 

Thank you for wishing me the best in my decision making. 

I'm glad u haven't had any side effects so far and hope that you dont ever!

Do u mind me asking hold are u now?

Wishing u good health

Michelle 

• Feelingalone74
    Armywife said:

Michelle

You've had a lot of decisions to make in the past few months.  I understand - I had to make the same ones, and I am the worst decision-maker on the planet.  I agonize over everything and procrastinate to avoid making decisions.  

All that being said, I want to encourage you to pray about it.  God is wise and He loves His children - He wants to guide us.  Lots of times I have trouble hearing Him, but I think it's because I'm not consistent enough in my communications!  

Blessings to you.  It's all going to be ok.  You've gotten through the big hurdles!

Armywife,  yes I sure have

Armywife,  yes I sure have and I have the same decision making problems as u. He k I cant decide which restaurant I want to eat let alone making medical decisions I know that I know nothing about. 

I'm trying hard to decide what's best . I have seeked God's answers but see sometimes feel I dont reach out to him for  answers more for nightly prayers. I will pray I'm making the right decision. 

Thank u for your blessings and stating it's going to be ok. I try to stay positive sometimes it's hard with all the decisions. We certainly all have so many hurdles on this health journey.  I thank you all for getting me through it!

I scheduled the measuring appt but will see my gyno oncologist Wednesday for 1 last opinion about it from him.

Wishing you good health 

Michelle 

• Feelingalone74

Unfortunately, this is a

Unfortunately, this is a decision only you can make. I remember going back and forth before I made my decision. There is a thread 'Let's talk about radiation' that might help you. Several of us had a lot of discussion on making the decision. 

I did go forward with the brachy. Thankfully, I have not had major issues. I used the dialator 2 Xs per week for about 2.5 years. I haven't used it now for about a year. I do have sex about once a month and I do require lubrication.  Also, I have some itching on occassion and use a vitamin E suppository that takes care of it. I am glad that I had the treatment. It gives me a sense of doing everything I could do to fight this awful cancer. My goal was to do what I needed to do, to live. And, be able to put all of this in the rearview mirror. I have mostly succeeded in doing so.... Hope this helps. I know it isn't easy.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Cindi, thanks for

Cindi, thanks for recommending the thread.  I will read over it.

Yes, I too want to do all I can to prevent reoccurrence just worried about long term side effects. 

Do u mind me asking what age u had brachytherapy?

Wishing you good health

Michelle 

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member

Cindi, thanks for

Cindi, thanks for recommending the thread.  I will read over it.

Yes, I too want to do all I can to prevent reoccurrence just worried about long term side effects. 

Do u mind me asking what age u had brachytherapy?

Wishing you good health

Michelle 

I don't mind at all.  I was

I don't mind at all.  I was 58. I am now 62.   I'm glad you are going to read the thread. I really do think it will help you.

• janaes
    Im 47 right now. Im glad your

Im 47 right now. Im glad your talking to your gyno oncologyst on Wednesday. This is what i was thinking? So ya you have made the appointment but after you have your apointment with your gynological oncologist if he says no or if you get the feelibg you shouldnt do bracytherapy you can always cancel your appointment. This makes me think again about when i was deciding to do chemo. I know you not deciding on chemo right now but mt sxperience might help.

I think i mentioned that i saw a few doctors before deciding to go ahead with chemo. I will tell you though i stll remember thinking about if i should go ahead with it even just before. I had to find a sitter for my kids at the time. They were tweens so i wanted someone here while i was gone. I had to make sure that was going to work out before i could decide. I cant remember all the details. It might be written down in my past posts i remember i got my port put in the same day as my first chemo and it was the day after my birthday because i was not going to do it on my birthday. The nurse at my last doctors appointment wanted me to make the appointment right at the doctors office but i told her i needed to think about this. I still needed to make sence of it all. I went home went through my pathology report and got some answers. I remember coming here to this group for answers. I did end up calling and making that fist chemo appointment thinking i could cancel if i needed to. Of course i didnt but knowing it was my desision to cancel if i wanted to helped me be okay with making it.

Feeling alone you are doing so great. You are progressing wonderfly. Make sure you give yourself credit for your progress.   Im so proud of how far you have come. 

• Feelingalone74
    janaes said:

Im 47 right now. Im glad your

Im 47 right now. Im glad your talking to your gyno oncologyst on Wednesday. This is what i was thinking? So ya you have made the appointment but after you have your apointment with your gynological oncologist if he says no or if you get the feelibg you shouldnt do bracytherapy you can always cancel your appointment. This makes me think again about when i was deciding to do chemo. I know you not deciding on chemo right now but mt sxperience might help.

I think i mentioned that i saw a few doctors before deciding to go ahead with chemo. I will tell you though i stll remember thinking about if i should go ahead with it even just before. I had to find a sitter for my kids at the time. They were tweens so i wanted someone here while i was gone. I had to make sure that was going to work out before i could decide. I cant remember all the details. It might be written down in my past posts i remember i got my port put in the same day as my first chemo and it was the day after my birthday because i was not going to do it on my birthday. The nurse at my last doctors appointment wanted me to make the appointment right at the doctors office but i told her i needed to think about this. I still needed to make sence of it all. I went home went through my pathology report and got some answers. I remember coming here to this group for answers. I did end up calling and making that fist chemo appointment thinking i could cancel if i needed to. Of course i didnt but knowing it was my desision to cancel if i wanted to helped me be okay with making it.

Feeling alone you are doing so great. You are progressing wonderfly. Make sure you give yourself credit for your progress.   Im so proud of how far you have come. 

Hi Janae, thank you  for your

Hi Janae, thank you  for your encouragement and saying your so proud of me! Sometimes with all the certainties and decisions I do know I forget to give myself credit for how far I've come. So grateful for all of u walking me through this journey.

I'm proud of you as well. I was a single mother most of my son's life and sometimes just daily decisions  were hard so I know how hard it must have been for u making those hard treatment decisions .

Yes, as u  did I made the appts and figured I could always cancel them if needed after speaking to my gyno oncologist on Wednesday. It seems like so much treatment for prevention. 

Michelle 

• Mercorby
    Mercorby Member Posts: 94 Member
    I had brachygherapy twice

Hi there,

The great thing about brachytherapy is that it targets exactly where the radiation needs to go and doesn't damage the other tissues.

The first time I had brachytherapy it was at the vaginal cuff after the hysterectomy.  It was not painful or even uncomfortable. It was just weird to have two radiology assistants and having the treatment in a special enclosed room for a few minutes.  After it was over, I think the worst side effect was vaginal dryness.  But even that isn't too bad with lotion.

The second time had had a tumor in stomach muscle where one of scars was.  The brachytherapy really got rid of that sucker!  It is nearly invisible in the scans. Yay!

Good luck with your decision. It is yours to make.  Do what you think feels right for you after you get all the info.

• Feelingalone74
    Mercorby said:

I had brachygherapy twice

Hi there,

The great thing about brachytherapy is that it targets exactly where the radiation needs to go and doesn't damage the other tissues.

The first time I had brachytherapy it was at the vaginal cuff after the hysterectomy.  It was not painful or even uncomfortable. It was just weird to have two radiology assistants and having the treatment in a special enclosed room for a few minutes.  After it was over, I think the worst side effect was vaginal dryness.  But even that isn't too bad with lotion.

The second time had had a tumor in stomach muscle where one of scars was.  The brachytherapy really got rid of that sucker!  It is nearly invisible in the scans. Yay!

Good luck with your decision. It is yours to make.  Do what you think feels right for you after you get all the info.

Thanks Mercorby for your

Thanks Mercorby for your response.  The brachytherapy I would have would be on the vaginal cuff. I'm glad your experience was was comfortable!!! I am worried about the uncomfortableness and I'm worried about the possibility of the long term effects.

Glad your scar is nearly invisible! I hope u are well now!!!

Thanks for wishing me good luck with my decision.  Ugh, I will decide after my appt with my gynecological oncologist tomorrow. 

Michelle 

• Feelingalone74
    edited October 2019 #35
    Yesterday I saw my

Yesterday I saw my gynecological oncologist.  He stook his claim I didnt need brachytherapy as long as the external radiation was give close to the vaginal cuff. He said he'll talk to with the radiologist.  (A side note they dont work together .there at different hospitals being I'm getting treatment at a Center closer to my home). After radiation today I asked to speak to the radiologist oncologist. Told him what doc said yesterday. He's still staking  his claim I need brachytherapy. Ugh!!!!! I cant decide what to have for lunch or what to wear today nevertheless make HUGE health decisions I know nothing about. I wish it wasn't so complex and there was a more of a definite answer and docs didn't disagree a d leave the patient who has no medical knowledge make the choice. I'm horrible at decision making .

• janaes
    Im sorry both doctors cant

Im sorry both doctors cant agree. I wish i could tell you what to do on this one. The only thing i can think of and dont know really if this the answer but you could go see one more doctor to see what he or she might say. Then you would have two opinions on one side or the other. 

Have you had a chance to go back and read other peoples experience on this board. I remember reading other members experiences in deciding which was benificial to me

Keep up the good work feelingalone. We all love you here and believe in you. 

• Feelingalone74
    janaes said:

Im sorry both doctors cant

Im sorry both doctors cant agree. I wish i could tell you what to do on this one. The only thing i can think of and dont know really if this the answer but you could go see one more doctor to see what he or she might say. Then you would have two opinions on one side or the other. 

Have you had a chance to go back and read other peoples experience on this board. I remember reading other members experiences in deciding which was benificial to me

Keep up the good work feelingalone. We all love you here and believe in you. 

Janaes thanks so much for

Janaes thanks so much for your comtinued support and love. I love all of u ladies as well! I dont have a big support network of friends and family so coming on this discussion board and chatting with u ladies is so valuable to me. And u all can  speak from experience.  I also sometimes dont want to tell those I am close with details of my health journey as I don't want to worry them even more.

I did speak to 1 other doctor, the radiologist oncologist as he'd be the 1 doing it at yet another hospital as they dont do it where I get radiation treatment nor the hospital of my gynecological oncologist . He initially said no that called and said yes but he'd support me either way. The gynecological oncologist is suppose to reach out to both of them. My sizing appt I'd Wed if I go through with it so I need them all to consult asap.I'm just torn between having it done and having long term effects being I'm only 45 and not having it done and having it come back. I know I keep repeating myself but neither sounds like a good choice .and I will have had 25 external radiation treatments and worry about those side long term side effects from all the exposure and then to add brachytherapy on top of it.

I had endometrial cancer. I'm curious did u other ladies have that kind of cancer and get both external radiation and brachytherapy?

Feeling so blessed I have u to talk to and the other ladies on here!

I hope your all having a wonderful fall and pray for good health for u all everyday especially our friends that I know  are going through some things currently. 

Warmly, Michelle 

• Fridays Child
    Fridays Child Member Posts: 277 Member
    Hard decisions

Of course everyone is different and some women have very different experiences.  I had brachytherapy seven years ago after my original surgery for endometrial cancer, and 25 external radiation treatments a year and a half ago for my recurrence.  To date I have had no lingering effects from either one.  I was 56 when I had the surgery and brachytherapy. 

It is hard to make these decisions when we don't feel qualified!

• janaes
    IIm glad you have a week to

IIm glad you have a week to decide what you want to do. Is one of the doctors going to call you back after they talk. I remember after i requested a tumor board look at my tumor. when deciding chemo. i anxiously waited for a call back to hear what they said. My doctor did call me back. I dont know that a call back would help you with your desion. 

I would say, since you have a week, to slow down. Maybe even put the desion aside for a bit. You got this!!!!

• mcarp0117
    mcarp0117 Member Posts: 19 Member

Still trying to decide

Michelle 

44 just finished 5 brachy

I am 44, diagnosed in May, hysterectomy, ovaries, tubes and cervix removed in June, tumor board reviewed my case and referred me to MD Anderson for lymph node removal. Stage 1B, Grade 2 Papillary Intermediate Endometrial cancer.  Lymph nodes were negative. 5 brachytherapy recommended. I chose to do them locally since I'm 2 hours from Houston.  Now everyone is different,  and some have had much better experiences. First one for me was not so good due to the fact that they do the fitting, planning and treatment all in one day and it took over an hour for the fitting/planning and I couldn't hold my bladder. Then their machine went down and I really couldn't hold it anymore nor let any urine out with the cylinder in.  They tried to catheterize me and couldn't and so they had to remove the cylinder. They did finish the planning before they had to remove the cylindar so once I got in the radiation room the treatment itself only lasted 10 minutes.  I was here for 5 hours though! I was so exhausted after I took a 3 hour nap and was nauseated and groggy all the next day and missed work. 2 days later I started feeling like I had a bad UTI, I was miserable, so at my second treatment I told the Dr. and they tested my urine and sure enough UTI.  I did a week of antibiotics and felt much better. Treatments 3-5 were much easier and only about an hour from start to finish with prep and actual treatment. Last treatment was Monday, and I'm having some tummy issues more frequently and not feeling too great today with stomach cramps and such, but could not be related to the treatment.  I pray for your experience to be much better and I feel they would have been different had I gone to Houston.

• Feelingalone74
    janaes said:

IIm glad you have a week to

IIm glad you have a week to decide what you want to do. Is one of the doctors going to call you back after they talk. I remember after i requested a tumor board look at my tumor. when deciding chemo. i anxiously waited for a call back to hear what they said. My doctor did call me back. I dont know that a call back would help you with your desion. 

I would say, since you have a week, to slow down. Maybe even put the desion aside for a bit. You got this!!!!

Hi Janae, that's exactly what

Hi Janae, that's exactly what I did. I put the decision aside this weekend and spent sometime doing some things I enjoy.

Yes , a doctor was calling me back. He called Friday and this a.m. already.

He had consulted with my gynecological oncologist.  Being it's not a homerun having treatment and I will have had 25 external beam radiation I'm quite concern about more radiation.  He says he supports me not having it done. I am respectfully declining with much hesitation and praying to god for no regret.  I feel I've given it to god now and will continue to pray I made the right decision for me.

Thanks for all your support!

Kindly, Michelle