WENT TO VA YESTERDAY

MGUNS
MGUNS Member Posts: 14

Ladies and Gents, went to VA today in order to obtain a referral for Orthotics. After my appointment with my VA GP she send me to the lab to get some blood work. They must have used 4 vials to draw blood, one of these for PSA. I’m only 6 weeks post op. My Urologist wanted this done on November 12, (by his staff) which would be 3 months post op. Does it really make a difference; 6 weeks compared to 3 month. Please share, my surgery was August 19, 2019. Pre op PSA 4.2

Comments

• Georges Calvez
    Georges Calvez Member Posts: 547 Member
    PSA levels

Hi there,

PSA falls quite rapidly after the removal of the prostate, in a case like yours with a low starting point and hopefully no complications it should be close to the limit of detection by now.

Best wishes,

Georges

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 980 Member
    Agree with George

Hi,

I would think after almost 6 weeks it should be getting towards the undetectable range soon.  A followup by your Urologist at 12 weeks would be a good second opinion. Hope for the best!!!!

Dave 3+4

• Georges Calvez
    Half life

Hi there,

The half life of PSA in the body is estimated at around three days so it is if you call the total at the beginning 100%,  after one week it is 25%, two weeks 6%, three weeks 1,5%, four weeks 0,4%; 5 weeks 0.1%, 6 weeks 0%.
    Obviously this assumes that there are no cancer cells in the body to sustain the level of PSA, if there are still cancer cells then it will fall to whatever baseline level of PSA that they can make.

Best wishes,

Georges

• MGUNS
    MGUNS Member Posts: 14
    NEW VA PSA AS OF 10/1/19

VA PSA CAME BACK <0.01

• lighterwood67
    lighterwood67 Member Posts: 374 Member
    Great news

Hopefully you will have many more of those on your journey.

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 980 Member
    Fantastic!!!!!!

Keep the trend going........ 

Dave 3+4

• Georges Calvez
    Congratulations

Hi there,

It cannot get better than that as you are at the limit of detection for the assay technology, the machine and the laboratory.
    It is less than 0.01 of a nanogram per millilitre which is a tiny amount.

Best wishes,

Georges

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    edited October 2019 #9
    Test

MGUNS,

First things first: As Georges noted, your PSA results show undetectable.  Actually, your result could be a bit higher and still be regarded as undetectable in most protocols.  The number will float around just a bit, which is meaningless.  I have never seen anyone report a PSA result of 00.00, ever, although it is possible at random I'm sure.  But numbers to the right of the decimil will move about, and it is no sign (usually) of relapse or for worry.

Medical centers vary on when and how often to give follow-up testing.  The PSA test is easy and relatively cheap, and there is no such thing as "too many," so more is probably better.   But all is great for you, and congrats.    I hope the USMC has a ribbon for exemplary service on the battle of the operating table !

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member

Yes. Let's celebrate.

PSA is at zero levels 6 weeks post op. This is credible even if you prefer to wait for the results of your urologist's schedule test (11/12/19).

Typically the body cleans circulating PSA in the blood during the two weeks after op.

This is the time for a glass of red Esporão. 

Congratulations

VG