Stage IV - Pushing 5 Years - A Bit of Good News On Chemo Working

NewHere
NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member

I have cancer everywhere, lymph nodes, lungs, muscle and spine. (My first warning sign something was wrong was the end of December, 2014.  Not officially diagnosed until the end of January, 2015.  First surgery February, 2015.)   It came back inoperable two years ago.  My scan this week showed that the spinal tumors are stable and perhaps even improving.  First time I have seen the words possibly improving.  This is after 20 FOLFORI treatments (Avastin added about 10 treatments in.) 

My last CT scan of lungs & lymph nodes also was overall positive.  Looks like everything was stable or showing signs of being knocked out.  There were two that looked like pehaps they were growing, but the largest lung tumor finally stopped growing. Again, this was after many treatments.  I did not think it would work on the big one after not stopping growing after the first 18 or so.  

I am guessing they will schedule me for another CT in about a month or so (will be about three months since last scan).  Hoping the two renegade tumors get back in line.  Yeah, chemo stinks, but seeing possible improvement makes it easier.  And seeing some things respond when I thought they were not going to - after 18 treatments or so - was something I was not expecting.  

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Good news, New

Run with it as fast as you can.  Actually, that is what is helping along with the chemo, the fact that you keep yourself active - as much as you are able.  That and being positive.

I think this is how we all feel, reading your good news.     

happy guys emoticon .    I'm the fat one in the middle. 

Tru

Tru

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    I am so happy for you that

I am so happy for you that you have mostly positive results. It can't have been easy going through so much treatment with not a lot of good news. Shows your strength that you persevered. 

• MeAndMine
    MeAndMine Member Posts: 54
    That’s so great to hear! You

That’s so great to hear! You kept going and kept up your treatments and it’s paying off. Wonderful news!

• MeAndMine
    MeAndMine Member Posts: 54

Accidental double post, but good news is worthy of an extra ”Yay!”  

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 783 Member
    edited September 2019 #6
    Way to go New! You have so

Way to go New! You have so much to deal with and yet such a positive attitude. I am happy for you.

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Thanks! I need the encouragement

Having just embarked on indefinite Folfiri (with Avastin to be added in the near future.)  Thank you for always being there for me.

Alice

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    Wonderful news!

We are with you all the way! Sending love and strength for the next scan!

k

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    A great response to the chemo

A great response to the chemo and great you're handling it all. Time to treat yourself to whatever your favorite thing is. With me that's some kind of fancy food, these days. If I can ask one dumb question though, having looked at it from all angles for years now, what is your avatar? A duck? A bird? I'm stumped.............................................Dave

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    All in All good news

Sounds like all in all the treatments seem to be working, and keeping most of them stable.  You have endured a lot, and it is about time that you get some encouraging results.  Thanks for the update and enjoy the news.

Kim

• NewHere
    Trubrit said:

Good news, New

Run with it as fast as you can.  Actually, that is what is helping along with the chemo, the fact that you keep yourself active - as much as you are able.  That and being positive.

I think this is how we all feel, reading your good news.     

happy guys emoticon .    I'm the fat one in the middle. 

Tru

Tru

Run Forrest Run

You know it Tru, I ain't stopping

• NewHere
    abita said:

I am so happy for you that

I am so happy for you that you have mostly positive results. It can't have been easy going through so much treatment with not a lot of good news. Shows your strength that you persevered. 

Attitude

As I tell people, I have a healthy disconnect with what is going on.  I know what is happening.  I know how it sometimes stinks real bad.  But I push that away whenever it creeps in.  Not saying it does not hit me now and again, it does.  But pushing that away and trying to remain positive gets me through.  Again, not all puppy dogs and candy, but I have been lucky. 

• NewHere

Way to go New! You have so

Way to go New! You have so much to deal with and yet such a positive attitude. I am happy for you.

Attitude is Key

Not easy all the time, but I try to be as positive as possible.  Right now I am on my chemo bottle, just got hooked up, and on for 48 hours.  But jumping into this thread and seeing everyone makes me smile.  Going to couch surf, watch some tv, have some food.  Just a really good day again even with that stupid thing plugged into my chest :)

• NewHere
    MeAndMine said:

Accidental double post, but good news is worthy of an extra ”Yay!”  

Thank You Thank You

And it deserve a double thanks :)

• NewHere
    abrub said:

Thanks! I need the encouragement

Having just embarked on indefinite Folfiri (with Avastin to be added in the near future.)  Thank you for always being there for me.

Alice

You Got this

Anything and anytime I can help you with this, I will.  Just got hooked up a few hours ago.  And having a really good time of it.  Something to keep in mind that I am starting to see - even if one session was bad - ones after can be a lot easier.  I am actually amazed on how well today is going.  Other than feeling a little loopy, nothing so far, not even the part during infusion where sometimes I feel bad.

• NewHere
    Kazenmax said:

Wonderful news!

We are with you all the way! Sending love and strength for the next scan!

k

Next Scan

Would be AWESOME to see everything stopping in its tracks.  Not saying having to be on chemo is on my Top 10 list ;), but doing this every three weeks is so worth it.  Plus it gives me an excuse just to watch TV and not feel too guilty..Laughing

• NewHere

A great response to the chemo

A great response to the chemo and great you're handling it all. Time to treat yourself to whatever your favorite thing is. With me that's some kind of fancy food, these days. If I can ask one dumb question though, having looked at it from all angles for years now, what is your avatar? A duck? A bird? I'm stumped.............................................Dave

Burr Fish

It is a photo I took while scuba diving.  Part of the whole porcuipine family - I think I id'd it right.  A little loopy on chemo now.  I have these all indexed, but going off the top of my head.  I cannot wait to dive again.  One of the things I love is taking underwater photographs and video.  

• NewHere

All in All good news

Sounds like all in all the treatments seem to be working, and keeping most of them stable.  You have endured a lot, and it is about time that you get some encouraging results.  Thanks for the update and enjoy the news.

Kim

Thanks Kim

Makes the treatments easier to take for sure.  And I have a few trips coming up between sessions- moved one to two week interval in fact to make sure to be able to fly with no issue - which is making me smile.