Platelets down. Treatment delayed 1 week

Hi ladies I went to have my third treatment today and my platelet count was down to 40 so they had to delay treatment. Rescheduled for next week hoping that my accounts are backup has anyone experienced this?

I can't believe that there isn't a shot or pill or something to boost your platelet count. They just informed me that if it didn't come back up but I would have to have a platelet transfusion hoping that I don't need! They seem to feel confident that in a week that counts will be back up to resume treatment. Of course this has my head spinning ! 

Comments

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    Im so sorry your treatment

Im so sorry your treatment was delayed. What a bummer. I never had a treatment delayed so i dont know how that feels. I took the neulasta shot after evry treatment and that was supposed to keep my numbers up. I guess it worked. It did have side effects though. Since its been so long i cant remember all the details so hopefilly others will chime in for help on this one.

• Armywife
    Armywife Member Posts: 451 Member
    Don't worry

I think this is very common!  Mine went low but not low enough to delay.  My white count went low enough that I had to have Neulasta shots after the last three chemos.  A friend in treatment now has had a platelet infusion and done great.  Hang in there!  You'll bounce back!

• zsazsa1
    zsazsa1 Member Posts: 565 Member
    edited September 2019 #4
    Don't worry.  It WILL come

Don't worry.  It WILL come back up.  I had borderline low platelets before even beginning chemo, because of an enlarged spleen for no known reason.  Anyway, my platelets dropped steadily throughout treatment, and I think that cycles 4, 5, and 6 were every 4 weeks instead of every 3 weeks.  The platelet count recovers dramatically right at about 3.5 weeks after each round of chemo.  I'm sure yours will.  But I suspect that you'll be on an every 4 week schedule for the rest of chemo.  

Platelet transfusions are usually not necessary.  As long as you're not on a blood thinner, you don't have to worry about a major bleeding episode.  But just in case you were engaging in activities with high risk of impact, particularly head trauma, you might want to not do those things right now.  I'm sorry, but absolutely NO roller derby participation until those platelets are back up!

Hang in there!  I'm about 6 months out from chemo, 4 months out from radiation.  Honestly, I'm forgetting it, the way that one forgets the pain of childbirth.  You'll be done soon, too, and will recover rapidly after the last cycle.

• zsazsa1
    BTW, I found info online that

BTW, I found info online that melatonin might increase platelet count, and I tried it during my period of low platelets.  It did absolutely nothing for me.

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    I had a delay

before treatment number 6. It took only 2-3 days for my count to bounce back. My dose was reduced for the last 2 treatments. I wasn't happy about that but I've been NED for 7 years.  So, just keep your eye on the goal. 

• Feelingalone74
    Feelingalone74 Member Posts: 243
    janaes said:

Im so sorry your treatment

Im so sorry your treatment was delayed. What a bummer. I never had a treatment delayed so i dont know how that feels. I took the neulasta shot after evry treatment and that was supposed to keep my numbers up. I guess it worked. It did have side effects though. Since its been so long i cant remember all the details so hopefilly others will chime in for help on this one.

Hi Jane, they have not

Hi Jane, thanks!

it was such a bummer when you're all hooked up and prepared to go and then the blood work comes back and they say you can't have treatment. they have not mentioned that neulasta shot to me maybe I should inquire about it at my next visit.

• Feelingalone74
    zsazsa1 said:

Don't worry.  It WILL come back up.  I had borderline low platelets before even beginning chemo, because of an enlarged spleen for no known reason.  Anyway, my platelets dropped steadily throughout treatment, and I think that cycles 4, 5, and 6 were every 4 weeks instead of every 3 weeks.  The platelet count recovers dramatically right at about 3.5 weeks after each round of chemo.  I'm sure yours will.  But I suspect that you'll be on an every 4 week schedule for the rest of chemo.  

Platelet transfusions are usually not necessary.  As long as you're not on a blood thinner, you don't have to worry about a major bleeding episode.  But just in case you were engaging in activities with high risk of impact, particularly head trauma, you might want to not do those things right now.  I'm sorry, but absolutely NO roller derby participation until those platelets are back up!

Hang in there!  I'm about 6 months out from chemo, 4 months out from radiation.  Honestly, I'm forgetting it, the way that one forgets the pain of childbirth.  You'll be done soon, too, and will recover rapidly after the last cycle.

Thanks zsazsa1! Yes, I'm on a

Thanks zsazsa1! Yes, I'm on a blood thinner so for a blood disorder so I always have to be extra careful. And dang no roller derby!!!

ILOL . I'll keep u posted if they changed my treatment to every 4 weeks.ugh that will delay the final treatment day even longer! Deep breathe I tell myself.  I have only had 2 chemo treatments so this was just after the 2nd one.

Thank you I will be glad when I'm done too and put this all behind me amd glad it's like forgetting child birth. :-)

Ok , about the melatonin.  

• Feelingalone74
    ConnieSW said:

I had a delay

before treatment number 6. It took only 2-3 days for my count to bounce back. My dose was reduced for the last 2 treatments. I wasn't happy about that but I've been NED for 7 years.  So, just keep your eye on the goal. 

Hi Connie, they were

Hi Connie, they were surprised that after 2 treatments my platelets were so low. Hoping this doesnt happen every time to delay treatment even longer but good to know that a lower dose might help and not effect me cure wise. And what a great inspiration you are to me. 7 years out !!! Yay , you go girl!!! I hope to beable to come back here and say the same thing.  

Thank you! I wish more survivors came back on and said hey I'm  doing great!!! This is something those of us just getting started need to hear! 

Wishing u continued good health :-))))

• Fridays Child
    Fridays Child Member Posts: 277 Member
    Neulasta

Feelingalone, they gave me Neulasta (the arm injector that you may have seen on commercials) after all of my full dose chemo treatments.  If you have that, they'll probably tell you it can cause bone pain.  They might suggest Claritin to help, but any antihistamine you find effective may help.  Be sure to check with your doctor about which one you want to take and their recommendations as to schedule.

• Feelingalone74

Neulasta

Feelingalone, they gave me Neulasta (the arm injector that you may have seen on commercials) after all of my full dose chemo treatments.  If you have that, they'll probably tell you it can cause bone pain.  They might suggest Claritin to help, but any antihistamine you find effective may help.  Be sure to check with your doctor about which one you want to take and their recommendations as to schedule.

Thanks Friday'schild I have

Thanks Friday'schild I have seen Neulasta on commercials. Oddly enough they haven't suggested that to me.  I will ask them about it being this happened just after my 2nd chemo treatment.

Thanks for your suggestion!

• zsazsa1
    Neulasts is for increasing

Neulasts is for increasing neutrophils, which are a subset of white blood cells.  Completely different from platelets.

I was on a blood thinner through most of chemo, because when they put in my port, I got a blood clot in a neck vein near the port.  My oncologist was afraid of killing me with a bleed from low platelets.  I did stop my blood thinner on my own just before my 6th round of chemo, because I had declined the last dose of Taxol (due to neuropathy), and she warned me that the hematologic toxicity of the Carboplatin could be WORSE without the Taxol!  And she was right.  My platelets dropped into the 40s after that last round (good thing I had stopped the blood thinnner).  It took about 4 weeks to bounce back.  Then whole pelvic radiation really did a number on my bone marrow - all three lines depressed, and they still haven't come back.

But I really am doing so well now, feeling great.  You will too, soon.  Just hang in there.  You will enjoy life again very soon, and hopefully it will never come back, and this will have just been a bump in the road of life.

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    Zsazsa1,

Zsazsa1,

Im glad you clearified what the nuelasta shot is used for. That is really good information.

• Fridays Child
    Fridays Child Member Posts: 277 Member
    edited September 2019 #14
    zsazsa1 said:

Neulasts is for increasing neutrophils, which are a subset of white blood cells.  Completely different from platelets.

I was on a blood thinner through most of chemo, because when they put in my port, I got a blood clot in a neck vein near the port.  My oncologist was afraid of killing me with a bleed from low platelets.  I did stop my blood thinner on my own just before my 6th round of chemo, because I had declined the last dose of Taxol (due to neuropathy), and she warned me that the hematologic toxicity of the Carboplatin could be WORSE without the Taxol!  And she was right.  My platelets dropped into the 40s after that last round (good thing I had stopped the blood thinnner).  It took about 4 weeks to bounce back.  Then whole pelvic radiation really did a number on my bone marrow - all three lines depressed, and they still haven't come back.

But I really am doing so well now, feeling great.  You will too, soon.  Just hang in there.  You will enjoy life again very soon, and hopefully it will never come back, and this will have just been a bump in the road of life.

zsazsa is correct

Sorry about that.  I was referring to Armywife's mention of Neulasta, but no, it's not for platelets.  I should have clarified.

• Armywife
    Armywife Member Posts: 451 Member

zsazsa is correct

Sorry about that.  I was referring to Armywife's mention of Neulasta, but no, it's not for platelets.  I should have clarified.

Sorry for the confusion!

I knew the difference and just wasn't clear in my statements - was saying my platelets didn't go low enough to cause a problem, but my white counts did and I needed Neulasta.  Also that I have a friend who just had a platelet infusion to boost her so she can continue chemo, and had no problems with it.  I'm sorry if I was unclear!  

• Feelingalone74
    Armywife said:

Don't worry

I think this is very common!  Mine went low but not low enough to delay.  My white count went low enough that I had to have Neulasta shots after the last three chemos.  A friend in treatment now has had a platelet infusion and done great.  Hang in there!  You'll bounce back!

Army Wife, they did say this

Army Wife, they did say this was common and alsso however they did say it if it doesn't come back I might have to have a platelet infusion. But they said they try to avoid having to do that .  Hoping that by next Wednesday numbers are back up to where it needs to avoid that and resume treatment. 

Thanks so much, I hope so! 

• Feelingalone74
    zsazsa1 said:

Zsazsa1 I'm so glad to hear

Zsazsa1 I'm so glad to hear that u are feeling so well now!!! Such great news!!! 

And thank u for saying I will soon as well and that I will enjoy life again soon and that I hope it never comes back again! I sure hope not for u and all the ladies on here and for myself. My husband tells me too that this is just a bump in the road like u said. I sure do hope so! Somedays I ask myself will my life ever be normal again.

I am on a blood thinner for a blood disorder that I've had for 8 years. So I called the Center today to ask should I be worried about low platelets effecting my protime for my blood disorder but she said they are different factors in your blood.  I sure hope I dont get a cut ir anything. I'm certainly going to be extra careful!

• Feelingalone74
    zsazsa1 said:

Zsazsa1,  u mentioned your 6

Zsazsa1,  u mentioned your 6 months out from chemo. Do u mind me asking a personal question...how much has your hair grown in the 6 months? U don't have to answer if you don't want to I'm just trying to get an idea of how long it will take for my hair to grow after I've completed my treatment.

• Feelingalone74
    ConnieSW said:

I had a delay

Yay Connie... congrats on

Yay Connie... congrats on being 7 years out!!!!! 

Your an inspiration!!!! I need to hear this!!!

• Feelingalone74
    Yay platelets back up. 40 to

Yay platelets back up. 40 to 195. Ugh bittersweet.  Want treatment over but nervous about new chemo(cisplatin)with radiation tomorrow.

Feeling nervous!

• suzycruise76
    suzycruise76 Member Posts: 163 Member

Yay platelets back up. 40 to

Yay platelets back up. 40 to 195. Ugh bittersweet.  Want treatment over but nervous about new chemo(cisplatin)with radiation tomorrow.

Feeling nervous!

Feelingalone,

stay strong,you will do it! Smile

All the best,

Suzy