Beach Therapy and Living Life After Cancer...so far!

Quilter_1
Quilter_1 Member Posts: 117 Member
edited September 2019 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

It’s been 6 months since my last chemo and radiation treatments.  I felt so weak and awful for about 10 weeks after, tired, achy and wrung out.  I was ,also, just an emotional mess.  I had terrible neuropathy in my feet and slight neuropathy in my fingertips.  I often thought that I may have beaten cancer, but, at a great cost to my quality of life.  We had a family wedding at the end of May, in Lexington, KY, about a 5 hour drive from home.  It was filled with family and fun and some tours of the area.  While I enjoyed myself, it was difficult to walk, and I felt like I had aged 10 years or more.  I actually was thinking that my traveling days were over.  After we returned home I began walking and riding my bicycle just a bit each day.  It seemed to help.  I had my first 3 month checkup the middle of June, my bloodwork and ct scan were both great.  My dh, md, and myself were all very happy.  Dr. said to try acupuncture with a local chiropractor for my neuropathy, so I began in July. At first we did 3 times a week for 3 weeks, then 2 times a week for 3 week then 1 time a week for 3 weeks.  It improved my neuropathy remarkably, it’s gone in my hands and about 60% improved in my feet.  I can now wear all of my cute summer sandals and walk pretty comfortably all day.  I love to run around my house barefoot, that is still uncomfortable, but, for the most part my feet no longer stop me from doing what I want to do.  I’m going to continue with the acupuncture treatments  once a month for a while, I’m still optimistic about improving even more. 

Now, beach therapy time.  We have been many places, but, never to Destin, FL, and I love the beach and warm water.  We just returned home today after spending 5 perfect beach days on the most beautiful white sand beach I have ever seen.  We relaxed in beach chairs, bobbEd in the water, drand fruity drinks and ate gulf seafood.  It was the best therapy any doctor could have ordered.  Life is good, again.

On the way home from the airport, we stopped by the lab for bloodwork, I see the dr. Tuesday.  As good as I feel, I can’t imagine getting bad news.  But, if I do I will just put on my armour and fight again.  (With a lot of whining.  Wish me luck.)

Linda 

Comments

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    Good luck!

You‘re doing surviving well!  

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 962 Member
    I wish you luck

What a nice story to read.  Thanks for sharing it.  You earned your lovely holiday!   I hope your neuropathy continues to imrpove.  From your name quilter I bet you do a bit of sewing. I do too, and would not like neuropathy in my hands, but as you said we can all imagine this.   Good luck

Sue

• Quilter_1
    Thanks ladies, I’m trying to

Thanks ladies, I’m trying to live my best life.  You’re right, Sue, I have been sewing since age 16.  I also quilt, self taught.  I wish we could post pictures, I have made some pretty quilts.  Cheers to all of us trying to live our best lives.

Linda

• Jairoldi
    Jairoldi Member Posts: 221 Member
    Nice!

I loved reading your encouraging post.

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    Good for you

BTW, you can post pictures in the my space section. I think it's under expressions-images. I have no idea how but I remember someone putting several up years ago. 

Just remembered. It was Double Whammy. I went to her my space but apparently all her pictures disappeared when we lost so much early this year. You can see where they were. 

• Northwoodsgirl
    Northwoodsgirl Member Posts: 571

Linda, It sounds like your recovery is going better with time. So glad your time at the Destin Florida beach was so wonderful for you and your husband. The neuropathic pain is hard to adjust to but it sounds like the acupuncture, riding your bike and time is helping with regeneration of some of the nerves damaged by the chemo. Life and good health is a gift as we know so well! 

Lori

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    I'm with you!! We decided to

I'm with you!! We decided to sell our business of 30 years and retire after my ordeal with chemo. I will be NED for four years as of September 30th and living the life of leisure here in Florida. We're less than two miles from the beach, have tons of activities provided at our 55+ community and I've got something going on every weekday afternoon - cards, luncheons, knitting, dominoes, etc. We're just living the good life and I hope you do for many, many years!

Love,

Eldri

• Quilter_1

I'm with you!! We decided to

I'm with you!! We decided to sell our business of 30 years and retire after my ordeal with chemo. I will be NED for four years as of September 30th and living the life of leisure here in Florida. We're less than two miles from the beach, have tons of activities provided at our 55+ community and I've got something going on every weekday afternoon - cards, luncheons, knitting, dominoes, etc. We're just living the good life and I hope you do for many, many years!

Love,

Eldri

My dear Eldri,  I hope that

My dear Eldri,  I hope that you live the beach life for a long, long time.  Cheers to all of us living the good life.

Linda

• Feelingalone74
    Feelingalone74 Member Posts: 243
    Quilter1 thanks so much for

Quilter1 thanks so much for sharing. I'm sorry that you had to deal with so much neuropathy but glad to hear that you're back in your cute little sandals and most of all that you've been living the good life, enjoyed some beautiful beach time and enjoying yourself since being NED!!! 

I am just in the beginning stages of treatment and I keep asking will my life ever be normal again. Your story gives me hope and inspiration !!!

Wishing u all the best on Tuesday at your doctor visit!

• Quilter_1

Quilter1 thanks so much for

Quilter1 thanks so much for sharing. I'm sorry that you had to deal with so much neuropathy but glad to hear that you're back in your cute little sandals and most of all that you've been living the good life, enjoyed some beautiful beach time and enjoying yourself since being NED!!! 

I am just in the beginning stages of treatment and I keep asking will my life ever be normal again. Your story gives me hope and inspiration !!!

Wishing u all the best on Tuesday at your doctor visit!

I was thinking, earlier this

I was thinking, earlier this summer, that my life would never be normal again.  It just snuck up on me a little at a time, and before I knew it, normal was back.  You will get your normal back, too, it just takes a while.  Don’t give up.

Linda

• zsazsa1
    zsazsa1 Member Posts: 565 Member
    Bobbi, hang in there!  I

Bobbi, hang in there!  I promise you, it gets better.  I am about 6 months out from last chemo, and about 4 months out from finishing whole pelvic IMRT radiation, and I feel FANTASTIC!  It's at the point where if I have sudden exhaustion, I think, "Why am I tired?  Oh, I had chemo and radiation not that long ago."  But I often now forget I ever had it, and I'm only 4 months out from finishing (most) of the treatment.  Sitll on Herceptin, but no side effects.  I'm walking the dog, sailing, even run a tiny bit with the dog, walked around a new city all day for a couple of days in a row, planning travel.

And I am ashamed to admit that I spent the entire first week after every infusion lying on the couch, binge watching shows to get through.  I don't know how people keep working through chemo and radiation.  I was a total wreck, and an absolute sloth.  And now I feel wonderful!

I think that icing my hands and feet diligently did help me - I have very little neuropathy.  So keep icing during the Taxol infusion.

Please let us know how that the platelets have come up this week.

Zsazsa

• suzycruise76
    suzycruise76 Member Posts: 163 Member
    zsazsa1 said:

Bobbi, hang in there!  I

Bobbi, hang in there!  I promise you, it gets better.  I am about 6 months out from last chemo, and about 4 months out from finishing whole pelvic IMRT radiation, and I feel FANTASTIC!  It's at the point where if I have sudden exhaustion, I think, "Why am I tired?  Oh, I had chemo and radiation not that long ago."  But I often now forget I ever had it, and I'm only 4 months out from finishing (most) of the treatment.  Sitll on Herceptin, but no side effects.  I'm walking the dog, sailing, even run a tiny bit with the dog, walked around a new city all day for a couple of days in a row, planning travel.

And I am ashamed to admit that I spent the entire first week after every infusion lying on the couch, binge watching shows to get through.  I don't know how people keep working through chemo and radiation.  I was a total wreck, and an absolute sloth.  And now I feel wonderful!

I think that icing my hands and feet diligently did help me - I have very little neuropathy.  So keep icing during the Taxol infusion.

Zsazsa

zsazsa,

there is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of! On the opposite-I am a strong believer that rest is very helpful in healing process,and after going through what all of us had,we have a right and need to rest and enjoy some quiet,peaceful time before we get back to normal life.

And I aplaud everyone who is able to do what they love to do;and having a great time at a beach is one of most healing moments.

Suzy

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Great post Linda! So glad to

Great post Linda! So glad to hear things are better for you. I will hit 4 years post treatment in Jan. 2020. I have to say, exercise was critical for me to make progress in getting back to normal. It was slow going in the beginning.  While I will never be back to the before cancer normal, I feel my health and life are very close to being there. Especially considering I'm 4 years older too. :-)

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Quilter_1

Great post Linda! So glad to

Great post Linda! So glad to hear things are better for you. I will hit 4 years post treatment in Jan. 2020. I have to say, exercise was critical for me to make progress in getting back to normal. It was slow going in the beginning.  While I will never be back to the before cancer normal, I feel my health and life are very close to being there. Especially considering I'm 4 years older too. :-)

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Thank you, Cindi, love and

Thank you, Cindi, love and hugs back to you.

Linda

• Armywife
    Armywife Member Posts: 451 Member
    Knew You Could!

You're awesome!  So happy to see that you're feeling perky!  And Eldri, all those activities!  All of you who have come through the fire, I'm so proud!  I am approaching my 2-year anniversary from the end of treatment, and though I don't know what that scan will bring next month, I'm thankful that my hair has come back, some of my eyebrows and most of my eyelashes have come back, and some of my strength and energy are back.  I'm still weak, and despite physical therapy after I broke my ankle last year, I can't run or jump or walk far or fast.  I spend too much time on the sofa on the laptop, and don't have the attention span to be productive at crafts or hobbies.  I'm praying God will make me useful in some way.  Meanwhile, cheering you all on!  Makes me want a beach vacation!  (not really because I look absolutely horrible in a swimsuit.)

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    edited September 2019 #17
    Quiter1, Its great your

Quiter1, Its great your making such good progress. It does take time to get back. Im not going to be back were i was before surgery. I remember having back problems during my last part of chemo. I definstly felt at least 10 years older. It took time for me to recover physically and emotionally I would say my back at least feels as good as it did before. I have some neropathy. I bearly notice it in my fingers but feel it in my toes more. It got to the ball of one of my feet befire the meds were changed. It doesnt hurt it just bugs me at times. I will be 4 years out this november.

Im glad your seeing progress.

• Feelingalone74
    Quilter_1 said:

I was thinking, earlier this

I was thinking, earlier this summer, that my life would never be normal again.  It just snuck up on me a little at a time, and before I knew it, normal was back.  You will get your normal back, too, it just takes a while.  Don’t give up.

Linda

This is so wonderful to hear!

This is so wonderful to hear!

• Feelingalone74
    zsazsa1 said:

Bobbi, hang in there!  I

Zsazsa

So good to hear zsazsa1 that

So good to hear zsazsa1 that u feel fantastic and wonderful!!!

• Feelingalone74
    Armywife said:

Knew You Could!

You're awesome!  So happy to see that you're feeling perky!  And Eldri, all those activities!  All of you who have come through the fire, I'm so proud!  I am approaching my 2-year anniversary from the end of treatment, and though I don't know what that scan will bring next month, I'm thankful that my hair has come back, some of my eyebrows and most of my eyelashes have come back, and some of my strength and energy are back.  I'm still weak, and despite physical therapy after I broke my ankle last year, I can't run or jump or walk far or fast.  I spend too much time on the sofa on the laptop, and don't have the attention span to be productive at crafts or hobbies.  I'm praying God will make me useful in some way.  Meanwhile, cheering you all on!  Makes me want a beach vacation!  (not really because I look absolutely horrible in a swimsuit.)

So good to hear your 2 years

So good to hear your 2 years out Armywife and wishing u the best for your appointment at the end of the month!

• Feelingalone74
    janaes said:

Quiter1, Its great your

Quiter1, Its great your making such good progress. It does take time to get back. Im not going to be back were i was before surgery. I remember having back problems during my last part of chemo. I definstly felt at least 10 years older. It took time for me to recover physically and emotionally I would say my back at least feels as good as it did before. I have some neropathy. I bearly notice it in my fingers but feel it in my toes more. It got to the ball of one of my feet befire the meds were changed. It doesnt hurt it just bugs me at times. I will be 4 years out this november.

Im glad your seeing progress.

So wonderful to hear your 4

So wonderful to hear your 4 years out Jane!!!