Is This True?

I probably should not be reading "Dr. Google," but is it true that uterine cancer survivors have a higher percentage of cardiovascular problems a few years after their diagnosis?  As if we don't have enough to worry about.  Just wondering if any thoughts on the subject.

I recently went to the primary care doctor and he said my heart has a "click" to it.  I don't know what that meant and he said "no big deal" but I should have an echo-cardiogram at my leisure.  What gives?Sealed

s

Comments

• zsazsa1
    zsazsa1 Member Posts: 565 Member
    edited September 2019 #2
    All people who were treated

All people who were treated for cancer have a higher incidence of cardiovascular events down the road.  And yes, you should have an echo, but it's probably nothing.  The cardiovascular events they're talking about are not valvular - they're vascular - and a "click" is usually due to a valve.

The way I see it, I should be so lucky as having to worry about cardiovascular disease down the road.  I did everything I could to treat this ..... disease, and now I'm gonna live and enjoy life as long as I can, and try not to worry about it recurring, because there's nothing I can do more than I already did!  And I'm certainly not going to worry about other diseases that I cannot do anything about.  Sure, I'll try to eat right (much harder now with post-radiation enteritis) and exercise, and lose a bit of weight (although of course I'm worried, when I DO lose weight, that it's because of a recurrence), but I'm not going to make myself crazy with it.

• thank you, zsazsa

I totally understand where you are coming from.  Couldn't agree more.  I think that cancer is more important and just trying to survive it, is more than enough that we have on our plates.  I don't think they can generalize anyway, in my opinion.  Plenty of people die from heart disease and never had cancer,  like my mother.  She died from diastolic heart dysfunction and never had cancer of any kind.

• Fridays Child
    Fridays Child Member Posts: 277 Member
    unknown said:

thank you, zsazsa

I totally understand where you are coming from.  Couldn't agree more.  I think that cancer is more important and just trying to survive it, is more than enough that we have on our plates.  I don't think they can generalize anyway, in my opinion.  Plenty of people die from heart disease and never had cancer,  like my mother.  She died from diastolic heart dysfunction and never had cancer of any kind.

Aging!

Many people develop cardiovascular issues as they age.  If we survive cancer and keep on aging, our chances of lots of diseases increase.  But we're still aging, which beats the alternative!

re

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    Cardio vascular disease

I jokingly said to my PCP that I always thought heart disease would lead to my demise demise, not cancer, because of my family history. She retorted, ” It still can!”

• no worries

Thank you, ladies.  for some reason, I'm not worried about it any longer.  I think it's just a part of the aging body.  I've come to realize that something has got to get you, and there is nothing you can do about it.

But not excluding the reason for trying to lower fat, exercise more and be careful about all this stuff.  Personally I do think most of these studies are a lot of baloney because they cannot generalize what will happen to any given patient.

• Northwoodsgirl
    Northwoodsgirl Member Posts: 571
    Heart disease post cancer

A good idea to schedule  the echo cardiogram as suggested. It will give you peace of mind.

An echo can reveal any “structural“ issues that may be the cause for the “click” sound. You may have a doctor who heard a sound indicating a heart valve issue. People who have had radiation to their chest or who received chemotherapy that is known to have some likelihood of cardio toxicity are probably at greater risk of developing cardiac issues. Of course that being said, our cardiac disease risk profiles are multifactorial.

As your doctor suggested getting an echo cardiogram is a good idea. If you aren’t symptomatic then the “click” sound is probably something you have had for a long time and other doctors just didn’t hear it. I was once told I had a “click” which was only heard by one doctor and only if I was lying on my left side. They thought I had a “floppy” mitral valve. I don’t have any structural cardiac issues according to echo cardiogram. Listening to heart sounds is an art and a science or like other things in diagnostics a mixture of the two.  If you are not symptomatic I wouldn’t worry too much. 

Lori 

• thanks, Lori

I was told many moons ago I had mitral valve prolapse.  Had to take antibiotics just to go to the dentist.  Fast forward, to my pre-op tests for my hysterectomy and all the tests just last year, came back great - heart wise.  Ekg and all that stuff.  So I don't know what he heard.  I think he was a little looney anyway and I'm not going back to him.  I didn't like him because he was very outspoken and judgemental.  we were not on the same page.

He kept saying I had cervical cancer and I repeated at least 3x, it was uterine.  I don't think he knew the difference to my honest.Undecided  so he was under the assumption that just because I had no cervix, I didn't need a follow up for my uterine cancer.  I was told by the Oncologist at the time, I have 2 tests per year and every six months!  this guy?  LOL  didn't even have a nurse, and a bathroom scale on the floor from walmart.  real professional.Foot in Mouth

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,352 Member

Aging!

Many people develop cardiovascular issues as they age.  If we survive cancer and keep on aging, our chances of lots of diseases increase.  But we're still aging, which beats the alternative!

re

thanks, Fridays Child.  While

thanks, Fridays Child.  While I sometimes wonder if treatment causes issues, I have to remember I am getting older.  I am very fortunate to have to think it might be age.  As noted "which beats the alternative," I have friends here going through so much more.  My little things are trivial compared to some of the warriors I know.  

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    unknown said:

thanks, Lori

I was told many moons ago I had mitral valve prolapse.  Had to take antibiotics just to go to the dentist.  Fast forward, to my pre-op tests for my hysterectomy and all the tests just last year, came back great - heart wise.  Ekg and all that stuff.  So I don't know what he heard.  I think he was a little looney anyway and I'm not going back to him.  I didn't like him because he was very outspoken and judgemental.  we were not on the same page.

He kept saying I had cervical cancer and I repeated at least 3x, it was uterine.  I don't think he knew the difference to my honest.Undecided  so he was under the assumption that just because I had no cervix, I didn't need a follow up for my uterine cancer.  I was told by the Oncologist at the time, I have 2 tests per year and every six months!  this guy?  LOL  didn't even have a nurse, and a bathroom scale on the floor from walmart.  real professional.Foot in Mouth

I feel i needed to post on

I feel i needed to post on this one. As many of you know i had cancer over 20 years ago. It was hodkins lymphoma. I had radiation in my chest area for that.i have not had any heart issues since. 

Hopefuuly that is good news for everyone. 

The idea that cancer treatments can cause heart problems scares me bit since i am in my 40's. I would rather not think of the treatments causing it.

• Donna Faye
    Donna Faye Member Posts: 427 Member
    No heart problems at 79

I had adriamycin and Cytoxan 20 years ago and was told that plus the radiation to chest area might cause heart issues. Since all my family had heart issues, I kept expecting it. So far, none.

However, the tamoxifen I took for 5 years probably contributed to my UPSC!  

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,352 Member

No heart problems at 79

I had adriamycin and Cytoxan 20 years ago and was told that plus the radiation to chest area might cause heart issues. Since all my family had heart issues, I kept expecting it. So far, none.

However, the tamoxifen I took for 5 years probably contributed to my UPSC!  

I said it before and I will

I said it before and I will say it again, I had a lump removed from my breast in 2009 - it was benign.  The (crazy) dr wanted to put me on tamoxifen.  (why would I take something I don't need???!!!)  You are correct, Faye.  Tamoxifen can CAUSE uterine cancer and it seems I didn't need any help with getting both the "typical garden variety" and UPSC.  

Just a good reminder to be your own advocate.  Say "no" or challenge your doctor if you don't believe it is right.