Foods after chemo

Hello all,

My husband has completely lost his sense of taste after 6 rounds of FU chemo and has become pretty depressed. Does anyone have advice on go to foods or suggestions for what he might be able to still taste. So far, he can still taste fresh fruit and yogurt pretty well.

Thank you!

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited September 2019 #2
    Spices

Sometimes when people lose their taste if they try a little more spicy food it tastes a little better.  It doesn't have to be "hot" spicy, but adding some spice can help.  Hope he can find something he can enjoy.

Kim

• airborne72
    airborne72 Member Posts: 296 Member
    edited September 2019 #3
    Marinol

My appetite became very suppressed immediately after my resection surgery so I was entering the follow-up chemo losing weight.  Not a good posture.  My oncologist prescribed Marinol (synthetic marijuana) and it slowly increased my appetite, with only minor side-effects (singing Jimmie Hendrix and Janis Joplin songs).

Jim

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member

Marinol

My appetite became very suppressed immediately after my resection surgery so I was entering the follow-up chemo losing weight.  Not a good posture.  My oncologist prescribed Marinol (synthetic marijuana) and it slowly increased my appetite, with only minor side-effects (singing Jimmie Hendrix and Janis Joplin songs).

Jim

Purple Haze!

Purple haze. . .

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Food diary

I have kept a pretty detailed food diary since chemo.  I think its a pretty good idea, myslef. 

I keep it because of the awful bowel issues resulting from 'The Happening' (there's a song reference for Sandia & airborne. Guess the group) - thuogh it is now coming in handy becasue of increasing joint pain due to older age. 

I still have tongue issues from constant Thrush during chemo.  Does he have Thrush? 

Tru

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited September 2019 #6
    The Happening

The Supremes, but I had to look it up.  I remember the song, but I was thinking it was someone like LuLu .  Your reaching back a bit for me.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member

The Happening

The Supremes, but I had to look it up.  I remember the song, but I was thinking it was someone like LuLu .  Your reaching back a bit for me.

Showing my age

And I am getting old.

Tru

• guyfly
    guyfly Member Posts: 32 Member
    From a great book I used

My Hospital library had a book called The Cancer Fighting Kitchen that was full of good tips and recipes.  I made some of the simpler ones but the author suggested something called FASS (Fat, Acid,Salt, and Sweet). Maybe this might help some?

Things have a metalic taste - Add a little sweetener, like maple syrup or agave nectar, and a squese of lemon. Also try adding a little fat like butter.

Things taste too sweet - Start by adding 6 drops of lemon or lime juice. Keep adding until the sweet taste is muted.

Things taste too salty - Add 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice.  It erases the taste of salt.

Things taste too bitter - Add a little sweetener, maple syrup or agave nectar.

Everything tastes like carboard - Add more sea salt until the flavor moves toward the front of the mouth, a spritz of fresh lemon juice also helps.

I don't know if that might help you but I thought it was pretty interesting and easy.  

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    I went spicier after chemo

I went spicier after chemo dulled some flavors, I read it can make intestines work a bit more to move things along, but I just wanted hotness,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dave