Decision Made on Treatment

gadan1
gadan1 Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Thursday I returned to my Urologist for a urinary issue and told him again where i was in my choices of treatment. He strongly urged me not to have Da Vinci procedure or Watchful Waiting. He felt the radical was too invasive when other options are available and I am too young for WW. I decided to go with ProstRcision (seeds). I had temporarily set up the seeds implants for this month, but was not sure if i was committed to it. Was accepted at Emory for RP so things were in place.
I asked my Urologist about the experiences of the doctors doing the prostrcision and he said the most respected and famous was Dr. Frank Critz. I asked if I could get him to do the surgery and was told he usually does people coming from other countries.but he would ask. Last night I got a call from Dr. Critz as he was driving home from a AMA seminar. After about 20 minutes on the phone, he agreed to take me on as a patient. He is the gold standard for that treatment in the United States.

Will keep you up to date, but again, I wish to thank each of you that offered advice and your experiences. The helped more than you could know. One thing that struck me was the timing. He indicated that with a gleason of 3+4 I should get it started as soon as possible because of the 4. Will have the seeds implanted in a few weeks and the treatments after the holidays.

Comments

• lewvino
    lewvino Member Posts: 1,010
    Best wishes to you on your
    Best wishes to you on your treatment. I had talked with Dr. Critz on my case and visited his clinic. I decided on Surgery though. Please keep me updated on your progress.
    Larry
  • William Parkinson
    William Parkinson Member Posts: 60 Member
    Gadan1-You may be interested
    Gadan1-You may be interested to know that I-125 has an effective radius that exceeds that of Pd-103. If I had chosen brachytherapy, I would have chosen Pd-103, just to get the whole process over with faster (i.e., faster resolution of obstructive urinary symptoms), but in a case like yours, where you are a Gleason seven, I would imagine that using I-125 would be better bet in dosing the prostate bed more throughly than palladium might do. I assume that you have a choice in the radioisotope you can use. However, some authorities would argue that the more aggressive the cancer the better it would be to use Pd-103, simply because it will inhibit mitosis (cell division and thus cellular growth) in the cancer much faster than I-125, thus stopping faster growing cancers. Usually the higher the Gleason grade the faster the cancer is growing. I don't know if this helps at all, but I wish you well in your treatment option.
    Cheers
    Bill
  • William Parkinson
    Gadan1-You may be interested to know that I-125 has an effective radius that exceeds that of Pd-103. If I had chosen brachytherapy, I would have chosen Pd-103, just to get the whole process over with faster (i.e., faster resolution of obstructive urinary symptoms), but in a case like yours, where you are a Gleason seven, I would imagine that using I-125 would be better bet in dosing the prostate bed more throughly than palladium might do. I assume that you have a choice in the radioisotope you can use. However, some authorities would argue that the more aggressive the cancer the better it would be to use Pd-103, simply because it will inhibit mitosis (cell division and thus cellular growth) in the cancer much faster than I-125, thus stopping faster growing cancers. Usually the higher the Gleason grade the faster the cancer is growing. I don't know if this helps at all, but I wish you well in your treatment option.
    Cheers
    Bill
  • William Parkinson
    Cheers
    Bill
  • William Parkinson
    Cheers
    Bill
  • William Parkinson
    Cheers
    Bill
  • Southerngirl60
    Southerngirl60 Member Posts: 1
    10 years post treatment?

would love to know how you’ve done this many years post treatment.