Shingles and increased CA-125

dgrdalton
dgrdalton Member Posts: 161 Member

I am almost 2 years NED from surgery. I was Stage 1A, grade 3 with less than 50 mm myometrial invasion. Had 3 chemo and 6 brachytherapy.

On 4/12 I started having symptoms f pain in my right pelvic area and feared recurrence. It turned out to be shingles. The rash was from lower back around to pelvic area and down inside right thigh. My oncologist ordered a CA-125 on 5/3 and it is 66.7. My highest before surgery and after treatment was 9.8. I will have a CT scan on 5/13, but am hoping the inflammation from shingles may have caused the increase. 

Has anyone had an increased CA-125 after having shingles?

Thank you!

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,352 Member
    edited May 2019 #2
    dgrdalton, infections can

dgrdalton, infections can raise your CA-125 so I hope that is what is going on, however, I am glad they are going to do a CT to find out what is going on.  Please come back and let us know how it is going.  Sending you good thoughts on May 13.

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 961 Member
    I didn't have one done

My gyne oncologist did not do one, because they are not accurate and give many false positives.  Which cause anxiety and unneeded tests.  I'm sorry to hear you have shingles.  They are very painful, and the fact that you didn't even mention your discomfort reflects the anxiety that these tests cause.   Percentages are also in your favor.  Your recurrence rate should be low with the treatments you had.   I pray that your CT is normal.  And that you recover quickly from those nasty shingles.

• dgrdalton
    Thanks for the feedback

Your responses are appreciated! I did neglect to say my cancer was UPSC which is similar in structure to ovarian cancer. I think that’s why they do the CA-125. Also, if the CT scan is clear then she can do another CA-125 in a month or so to see if it has gone back down. Will post again Monday!

• dgrdalton
    edited May 2019 #5
    Still NED!

My CT & pelvic exam showed me to be still NED! She will repeat the CA-125 in 8 weeks to be sure, but suspects the inflammation of the shingles caused the increase.

• Forherself
    edited May 2019 #6
    Wonderful news

We all know the feeling of waiting for results.   Now you can get over your shingles!

• dgrdalton
    Follow up CA-125 increased

My ca-125 was 14.3 just before surgery May 3, 2017. Shingles started 4/12/19 and lasted about a month before pain & itching were gone. CA-125 was 66.7 on 5/3/19. Then on 7/5/19 it had increased to 93.6 and I’m having pain in pelvic area, not constant, but sometimes requiring Tylenol and that just dulls it. Oncologist wants me to have a PET scan which is scheduled for 7/30/19. So I’m back to the waiting and wondering game. Mostly I’m not worried, but then the anxiety sneaks up on me.

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    You've really been on a

You've really been on a roller coaster the past few months. Keeping my fingers, toes and whatever parts still move, crossed so that you get good news after the 30th.

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited July 2019 #9
    Hang in there!

I don't know how anyone every escapes the anxiety that comes with this diagnosis. Knowing that it's a normal part of it all just doesn't help, especially when something is a bit off and needs to be checked out. Hopefully, that darn shingles is at the bottom of this for you and you'll get a big "Whew!" after your PET scan! You've got a long week or two ahead of you. My sympathies!

• Forherself
    Shingles

can cause pain for months after the rash disappears.  Hopefully that is what is causing the inflammation.  It is so hard to wait with all the possibilities. I pray that you get good news.  I'm glad it is a PET this time.

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 654 Member
    Let us know the results of the PET scan.

Hope everything goes well.

The newest anti-shingles vaccine is available. I had the old one a few years back and was able to get the two innoculations of the newest variety. Especially those of us who had chicken pox as children this is very important. Because I am a cancer patient I was able to jump to the head of the line as there was a limited supply last fall. 

Denise 

• dgrdalton
    PET scan results

The PET scan did show activity in some lymph nodes around my thorax, chest and abdomen. I go see the oncologist on Monday to find out more.

Thank you for being here for me!

• MAbound
    Hmmm...

Pain in your pelvis, but PET scan lighting up elsewhere... maybe the shingles happening is catching something early for you? I'm still hoping that this is shingles related, but if not, (D**n!) that it's early enough to stop it in it's tracks. I'm so sorry; these conflicting results can't be helping your anxiety levels. It will be interesting to see what your oncologist's take on all of this will be. Hang in there! (Easy for me to say, eh?! But hang in there!)

• Forherself
    Not what you want to hear.

But this has been going on for a long time.  I suspect the oncologist will be doing a biopsy and you will finally get an snwer. Prayers for a good outcome.  Hard to wait all weekend.  Keep busy.  I made flannel pillow cases while wating for my pathology.  I twas easy and people loved getting them.  Prayers for a clear biopsy.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,352 Member
    dgrdalton, keep us posted!  

dgrdalton, keep us posted!  

• dgrdalton
    Busy weekend

Thank you for responding. This will be a busy weekend. My 3 youngest granddaughters will be here for a little birthday party for the 4th birthday of the one turning 4. The other two are 6 & 8. The older 2 live near me and the younger 600 miles away, so they really enjoy their plat times together. 

I do feel less anxiety just knowing that Monday my oncologist will have a plan for me. My job is to try and put it in God’s hands and enjoy the present. 

Appreciate all you ladies!

Donna

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Donna, So glad you will have

Donna, So glad you will have a busy weekend with family. I hope the news is better than you expect it to be on Monday! Please come back and let us know when you can.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• dgrdalton
    Good news

My oncologist said the lymph nodes that lit up were about a 7, not very bright. And UPSC would usually not reccur in the thorax, chest and abdomen lymph nodes. They drew blood for a CA-125. It came back 81.4, down from 93.6 a month ago. I am scheduled for a biopsy on the largest lymph node that lit up. That will be next Tuesday. She said infection and inflammation can cause the lymph nodes to light up. I am feeling much less anxiety!

• Forherself
    dgrdalton said:

Good news

My oncologist said the lymph nodes that lit up were about a 7, not very bright. And UPSC would usually not reccur in the thorax, chest and abdomen lymph nodes. They drew blood for a CA-125. It came back 81.4, down from 93.6 a month ago. I am scheduled for a biopsy on the largest lymph node that lit up. That will be next Tuesday. She said infection and inflammation can cause the lymph nodes to light up. I am feeling much less anxiety!

Good news.

That is great news.  It is so hard to wait.  But it is most likely going to be ok.   I'm glad the CA-125 is going down too!

• MAbound
    dgrdalton said:

Good news

Less anxiety is good!

And shingles is really a doozy of an infection!

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member

Really great news DG! Please let us know how your biopsy goes.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi