Lymphedema

Luckyluke
Luckyluke Member Posts: 55 Member

5 months post chemo and dealing with lymphedema. Have any of you ladies had lymphedema this soon after chemo? I know if you start physical therapy right away it is easier to treat. Swelling in my left foot and leg. Will have leg wraps and compression garments and exercise should help. And eating a balanced diet along with alot of water. Exercise is the key even if you don't feel up to it, keeps the lymph fluid moving up and out. I had 46 lympnodes removed during my surgery. Thank God all were negative! Had my catscan on monday will see the oncologist next week for the results. 

Comments

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Lymphedema and lymph nodes

In the recent discussion on lymphedema at https://csn.cancer.org/node/319897, most members responding commented that their lymphedema symptoms occurred a bit later than yours – often at around the 2-2.5 year mark. Many of the women also discussed the techniques and brands of compression garments they've found helpful.

But you did have a large number of lymph nodes removed during your surgery, which may explain why your lymphedema has hit you a bit sooner than others. There was a discussion last year entitled "How many lymph nodes" at https://csn.cancer.org/node/318455 that showed there is great disparity in the number of lymph nodes removed by different surgeons.

But you have the comfort of knowing that all those removed during your surgery were negative. I hope that you hear all is well at your appointment next week.

• Luckyluke
    cmb said:

Lymphedema and lymph nodes

In the recent discussion on lymphedema at https://csn.cancer.org/node/319897, most members responding commented that their lymphedema symptoms occurred a bit later than yours – often at around the 2-2.5 year mark. Many of the women also discussed the techniques and brands of compression garments they've found helpful.

But you did have a large number of lymph nodes removed during your surgery, which may explain why your lymphedema has hit you a bit sooner than others. There was a discussion last year entitled "How many lymph nodes" at https://csn.cancer.org/node/318455 that showed there is great disparity in the number of lymph nodes removed by different surgeons.

But you have the comfort of knowing that all those removed during your surgery were negative. I hope that you hear all is well at your appointment next week.

Thank you cmb and yes you're

Thank you cmb and yes you're right about having alot removed.  Thank you for the links will take a look.

• Northwoodsgirl
    Northwoodsgirl Member Posts: 571
    Lymphedema

You are seeking treatment early which is a good thing. I had about 26 lymph nodes removed. I also developed lymphedema about the same point in time you did. I wear knee high compression stockings if I am not wearing capris in the warmer weather. It is something that you will know your it’s on in terms of standing or sitting too long. Hope your CT scan news is good and you will have no evidence of disease. 

Lori

• Luckyluke
    Northwoodsgirl thank you I

Northwoodsgirl thank you I understand that this most likely will be on going treatment for the lymphedema as far as compression socks and exercising which is ok I'm glad  there is some relief from it.

• KatnHat
    KatnHat Member Posts: 27 Member
    26 lymph nodes

Hi, not quite as many as you, but enough to be causing problems, first around 6 months ago (handled it with exercise and compression) and now in the other leg and my groin, back with a vengeance. It's psychologically distressing, isn't it? Not to mention painful and rather disfiguring. I'm in the middle of PT appointments and a professional fitting for compression garments. So comfortable and fashionable in the summer, lol! Good luck to you.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,352 Member
    I have Medivan knee highs

I have Medivan knee highs (they make all kinds - open toe, closed toe, tigh high, stockings) in a 30-40 compression.  I live in Indianapolis and I wear them all year.  Now, I only wear the knee high, and I am not sure how the pantyhose would be and get them on with this high a compression.  I will tell you this: Playtex living gloves. They 'grip' these hose really well.  

I have people ask me why do I have my legged wrapped and I tell them why I wear it. 

Recently I was riding the escaltor up at the airport and I felt someone touch my leg.  I turned around to see a young man about 20 standing there and he said, "you know you only have one stocking on."  My heart melted.  I told him I had had cancer and now I have to always wear this.  I could tell he felt akward but I told him it is ok and he learned something new today!  

Wear them proudly my sisters!  I have taken some of the old one that have a lost a little of its 'umph' and taken an indelible marker to decorate it with patterns :)

• Luckyluke
    KatnHat said:

26 lymph nodes

Hi, not quite as many as you, but enough to be causing problems, first around 6 months ago (handled it with exercise and compression) and now in the other leg and my groin, back with a vengeance. It's psychologically distressing, isn't it? Not to mention painful and rather disfiguring. I'm in the middle of PT appointments and a professional fitting for compression garments. So comfortable and fashionable in the summer, lol! Good luck to you.

Yes Katnhat it is distressing

Yes Katnhat it is distressing  thinking it is another thing to cope with. I'm sure the compression sock feels good on your leg especially when you're on your feet and your legs start aching. I hear the summer makes it worse. Will  just get through it .

• Luckyluke

I have Medivan knee highs (they make all kinds - open toe, closed toe, tigh high, stockings) in a 30-40 compression.  I live in Indianapolis and I wear them all year.  Now, I only wear the knee high, and I am not sure how the pantyhose would be and get them on with this high a compression.  I will tell you this: Playtex living gloves. They 'grip' these hose really well.  

I have people ask me why do I have my legged wrapped and I tell them why I wear it. 

Recently I was riding the escaltor up at the airport and I felt someone touch my leg.  I turned around to see a young man about 20 standing there and he said, "you know you only have one stocking on."  My heart melted.  I told him I had had cancer and now I have to always wear this.  I could tell he felt akward but I told him it is ok and he learned something new today!  

Wear them proudly my sisters!  I have taken some of the old one that have a lost a little of its 'umph' and taken an indelible marker to decorate it with patterns :)

I'm kind of looking forward

I'm kind of looking forward to getting the knee hi  because my legs have been achy. I was told I will probably have the leg wraps on the worse leg and a compression sock on the other leg for awhile. 

• barnyardgal
    barnyardgal Member Posts: 272 Member
    I had 27 lymph nodes taken

I had 27 lymph nodes taken and lymphedema actually started in my left leg during chemo. The Dr checked to make sure I didn't have a blood clot but I was fine. Once I finished chemo and was able to be more physically active again it went away. 

• derMaus
    derMaus Member Posts: 558 Member
    KatnHat said:

26 lymph nodes

Kat, if you feel up to it, you might look into using a rebounder (mini trampoline). I used one before my tumor got so large that it was a problem, and it really seemed to help keeping the swelling down. I kept it out on the deck and would hop on a few times a day, for a minute or less. Just gentle up-and-down motions seemed to help a lot with the circulation. If I ever get this stupid tumor under control such that it's not being pinched by the psoas muscle, I'm going back to using it. Just a thought...

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    Great ideas

What a great, simple treatment, Bobbi. This site will always be the best for getting the word out. Every cancer center should refer people here. 

No Time, love your version of a tattoo 

• Rosesforever
    Rosesforever Member Posts: 44 Member
    derMaus said:

Kat, if you feel up to it, you might look into using a rebounder (mini trampoline). I used one before my tumor got so large that it was a problem, and it really seemed to help keeping the swelling down. I kept it out on the deck and would hop on a few times a day, for a minute or less. Just gentle up-and-down motions seemed to help a lot with the circulation. If I ever get this stupid tumor under control such that it's not being pinched by the psoas muscle, I'm going back to using it. Just a thought...

Thank you

Hope you’re feeling (healing) better. The trampoline has been a plus.  Thank you for the suggestion!!

• Rosesforever
    Rosesforever Member Posts: 44 Member

Open toe

i was told to wear compression hose which I’ve been doing but the open toe is so much better. Thank you!!