New to Forum - colonoscopy next Tuesday

UW_2007
UW_2007 Member Posts: 3

Hi Folks - let me first start off by saying I've been researching and found these threads and am touched with some of the stories I've read on here. I hope everyone on this board can heal and live a long healthy life. It's truly inspiring to see strangers from all over get together on these boards to help each other through! Much love and good health to all.

My background. I'm a 32 year old Male. Have been very healthy in the past (other than the usual binge drinking in the 20's and early 30's and dealing with hangovers). My weight is great, health is great, and usually eat very healthy and take my supplements/vitamins regularly. The first four months of this year Jan - April I was very healthy and got in real great shape and did not drink any alcohol either. The month of May, however, was disastrous on my body. I went on several vacations and found myself eating unhealthy and also drinking quite a bit. About 10 days ago I started getting diarrhea. From there, it progressed to bloody diarrhea. Now, I'm at the point where it's still diarrhea (once in a while a normal stool) and bloody mucus and lots of dripping blood into the toilet.

In April of 2017 I did see some blood on my stool but GP did blood tests and exam and concluded Internal Hemmrhoids. They went away after a month and I had no issues until now again 13 months later. So now, I've seen GP and GI, both which did blood work which every single item on the blood work came in within range and healthy including Anemia, etc. GI also did stool sample to rule out Pathogens, which came back normal. So now, I have a Colonoscopy scheduled on Tuesday and I'm quite nervous. Being only 32 with 2 beautiful young kids, I just want to be healthy for them. My current situation summed up as follows:

1) I get urgent stomach ache that comes on and I have to run to the bathroom and go where it's usually a little bit of diarrhea followed by lots of dripping blood and mucus. The "stomach aches" come only when I have to go. Not much poop comes out, but sometimes it can be a normal amount. But always blood and sometimes mucus (for the last 10 days or so).

Based on the bowel movement change brought on and the amount of blood there is definitely something wrong of which I'm guessing is between the following:

1) Internal Hemrrhoids (hoping this is it - but doesn't explain the stomach aches and urge to go & diarrhea for 10+days)

2) Ulcertive Colitis - all symptoms match up to this

3) Rectal Cancer - hoping not, but symptoms match up.

I have no history of IBS, IBD, or anything out of the normal. 32 years old and healthy and no family history of colon cancers or even colon problems for that matter.

Scared for the colonoscopy but also excited to get it done and move forward with whatever this is.

Any help would be appreciated - what type of symptoms did everyone else have? Can my "BAD DIET MONTH OF MAY" have really caused this much damage to my body as I was healthy before this month? Am I missing something - could it be something else like my body just rejecting a really bad month of dieting? So confused, but will have answers soon I guess.

Please provide any input.

God Bless,

M

Comments

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Symptoms

Sorry not to be of much help on the symptoms, they could be so many things.  Statistically, your chances of cancer are quite low.  But what I did want to address is the "blame" issue.  Drinking too much or eating badly is something so many have done.  It is highly unlikely that those acts are the cause of your symptoms and trying to attribute blame due to past acts does not do much good.  From my perspective, the best thing you can do is look forward, eat well, exercise, and take care of your health and your family.  In all probablity, everything will be all right.  Good luck on the colonoscopy, the prep is not much fun, but it is something that needs to be done for you to understand what is going on.  Best of luck to you.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Colonoscopy

A colonoscopy is the only thing that will really determine what is going on with you, but your young age and no history go in favor of nothing serious, but then that is what a colonscopy is for.  Blood in stool and changes don't mean that you have cancer.  Hemrrhoids can leave a lot of blood and therefore cause alarm also.  Let us know how the test goes.  It sounds like what you described is scary for you, but wishing and praying that you are fine.  Looking forward to your updated post.

Kim

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    I hope it turns out that it's

I hope it turns out that it's not cancer and is just something else. I thought you can have rectal bleeding from Chrohn's, too? I had no symptoms at all. I did have some blood in my stool but not all the time and I'd always had IBS so that explained it to me. I'd always had blood off and on.

The colonoscopy is the only way to really tell. I hope that your's comes out fine or just some polyps to snip off. The nice thing is that they'll take them out if you do have any. The colonoscopy isn't fun but it's not bad. It's quite quick and you lie on your side and it's not as embarassing as you might imagine. The prep is the worst part and it's nasty but not terrible. You have to drink some stuff that's pretty icky and then stick close to the bathroom in case of an 'eruption'. The morning of the procedure you don't eat but they'll give you cookies and juice after.

Good luck!!

Jan

• SandiaBuddy
    JanJan63 said:

I hope it turns out that it's not cancer and is just something else. I thought you can have rectal bleeding from Chrohn's, too? I had no symptoms at all. I did have some blood in my stool but not all the time and I'd always had IBS so that explained it to me. I'd always had blood off and on.

The colonoscopy is the only way to really tell. I hope that your's comes out fine or just some polyps to snip off. The nice thing is that they'll take them out if you do have any. The colonoscopy isn't fun but it's not bad. It's quite quick and you lie on your side and it's not as embarassing as you might imagine. The prep is the worst part and it's nasty but not terrible. You have to drink some stuff that's pretty icky and then stick close to the bathroom in case of an 'eruption'. The morning of the procedure you don't eat but they'll give you cookies and juice after.

Good luck!!

Jan

Cookies

Cookies and juice?  They never offer me anything.  I feel gyped!  (Just joking, or course, I am always happy to get out of the place and on my way home.  I always bring a snack with me to eat when the procedure is over).

• UW_2007
    Thank You

Thanks everone for your wishes and concerns. Looking forward to the colonoscopy on Tuesday and will report back with the results. Appreciate the support and kind words and wish nothing but the best for you all. 

• UW_2007
    Colonoscopy Results

Hi Everyone - i had my colonscopy yesterday and received a diagnosis of Ulcerative Colitis. 

I'd like to thank everyone that messaged me, and even everyone else on this discussion forum. It was a scary few weeks for me with the symptoms I had and Dr. Google telling me I had Cancer. Nonetheless, thank you all again for the support, and I wish everyone here the best of luck on good health and recovery. There are some extraordinary people on here that have taken their diagnosis and used it to fuel their fire to live life to the fullest and also build some amazing relationships with one another on here. All of you have encouraged me and I thank you for that. I admire all of your courage and wish you all the best.

With that said, I'd like to donate to a reputable colon cancer research foundation - if you could please direct me to the most reputable foundation, it would be truly appreciated.

Best of luck to all.

M

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    I'm glad it wasn't the worst,

I'm glad it wasn't the worst, and hope the UC heals right up for you. There is plenty of great research facilities to donate to, maybe one near you.  I was fortunate to find the Desert Cancer Institute here in SoCal. I'd dropped my insurance[a work slowdown] one year before diagnosis. With 5 kids, I qualified for MediCal[medicaid] with a $5000 a month co-pay. In eight months or so, my savings were gone, five months later my wife was diagnosed[brain tumor], and her co-pay was $5000 a month, as long as we both weren't being treated at the same time, just the one co-pay applied. Had I not found the Institute, I'd likely be in a rented apt. living off disability, doing handyman jobs for cash, as I type, 10 years after. Research is huge and they're getting so close, but people do get wrecked financially still, and if I hit the lottery, That Desert Cancer Institute will be permanently funded.............................Dave

• SandiaBuddy
    UW_2007 said:

Colonoscopy Results

Hi Everyone - i had my colonscopy yesterday and received a diagnosis of Ulcerative Colitis. 

I'd like to thank everyone that messaged me, and even everyone else on this discussion forum. It was a scary few weeks for me with the symptoms I had and Dr. Google telling me I had Cancer. Nonetheless, thank you all again for the support, and I wish everyone here the best of luck on good health and recovery. There are some extraordinary people on here that have taken their diagnosis and used it to fuel their fire to live life to the fullest and also build some amazing relationships with one another on here. All of you have encouraged me and I thank you for that. I admire all of your courage and wish you all the best.

With that said, I'd like to donate to a reputable colon cancer research foundation - if you could please direct me to the most reputable foundation, it would be truly appreciated.

Best of luck to all.

M

Congrats

Congratulations and best of luck.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    I donate to St. Judes

Every time I see those sweet little ones suffering, I head for the checkbook. 

Tru

• Trubrit
    UW_2007 said:

Colonoscopy Results

Best of luck to all.

M

Sail away

I think this part of a poem by  Henry Wadsworth Longfellow aptly describes our brief forum friendship.

'Ships that pass in the night, and speak each other in passing, only a signal shown, and a distant voice in the darkness; So on the ocean of life, we pass and speak one another, only a look and a voice, then darkness again and a silence.'

I am happy that you are passing us by. A brief, intense for you, moment in your life shared with us. 

Fare-thee-well, Lanny; and may you future be bright and forever Cancer free.

Tru

• Annabelle41415
    Wonderful

Congratulations on the report of no cancer.  It's great that you were proactive and concerned about getting to the bottom of your problem (literally LOL).   ACS (American Cancer Society) is a great place to start for donations.  Very thoughtful of you.  Continued good health to you and if you ever need any more assistance remember we are here for you.

Kim

• Twinzma
    Twinzma Member Posts: 236 Member
    UW_2007 said:

Colonoscopy Results

Best of luck to all.

M

UC

Thanks be to God that it is not cancer! UC is no picnic, but with the right doctor and meds you will be able to manage. Best wishes to you. I was supposed to get my results tomorrow but wouldn't you know my fridge broke and I need to wait for Sears to repair! Ugggghhh.

Tru is right St. Judes is a great charity. They never charge parents for medical bills.

• Marjude
    Marjude Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2018 #14
    Colonoscopy

I am 80 years old and a lifelong polyp grower. I have been having colonoscopies for over 30 years. Today I had my most recent colonoscopy. Because of my age, I resisted undergoing this test but the doctor and my primary care doc and others encouraged me to have it. Ten polyps were found and removed. I do not like to be sedated and was awake for the entire procedure as I was for my last one 5 years ago. From my experience as a patient, I am fascinated by the skills of the Doctor, nurse and tech working on my procedure. One polyp was so large it was too big to fit in the tube and was withdrawn through my anus. The doc then went back in and continued his search where he left off. Some polyps came apart in the process of being placed in the noose device used to snare polyps. At the end of the procedure, the polyps were separated depending on where they were harvested. Some were from transverse colon, some ascending and some rectum. The doc, who has done over 20,000 colonoscopies said that I was lucky to have had the procedure and that the big one would have become cancerous is under a year. He said none of the polyps looked cancerous and he wants me back in 2 years when I am 82. I am in pretty good health for my age and am thankful to my doctor and others who persuaded me to have this. I will gladly endure the prep and have a colonoscopy as long as I am healthy enough to undergo it.

• Annabelle41415
    Marjude said:

Colonoscopy

I am 80 years old and a lifelong polyp grower. I have been having colonoscopies for over 30 years. Today I had my most recent colonoscopy. Because of my age, I resisted undergoing this test but the doctor and my primary care doc and others encouraged me to have it. Ten polyps were found and removed. I do not like to be sedated and was awake for the entire procedure as I was for my last one 5 years ago. From my experience as a patient, I am fascinated by the skills of the Doctor, nurse and tech working on my procedure. One polyp was so large it was too big to fit in the tube and was withdrawn through my anus. The doc then went back in and continued his search where he left off. Some polyps came apart in the process of being placed in the noose device used to snare polyps. At the end of the procedure, the polyps were separated depending on where they were harvested. Some were from transverse colon, some ascending and some rectum. The doc, who has done over 20,000 colonoscopies said that I was lucky to have had the procedure and that the big one would have become cancerous is under a year. He said none of the polyps looked cancerous and he wants me back in 2 years when I am 82. I am in pretty good health for my age and am thankful to my doctor and others who persuaded me to have this. I will gladly endure the prep and have a colonoscopy as long as I am healthy enough to undergo it.

Welcome

Welcome to the board and glad to hear that he didn't suspect any type of disease.  If you feel up to doing the prep and going through the test than good for you.  Better to be safe than neglect it and have issues later.  May God Bless you going forward - you sound like a very strong person.

Kim

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    edited July 2019 #16
    Great news!

Im so glad that you did not receive a diagnosis of cancer. Ulcerative colitis is not easy but better than cancer. Good luck with your future. You are way too young to go through this kind of scare. Live your life and be well!

k

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    Kazenmax said:

Great news!

Im so glad that you did not receive a diagnosis of cancer. Ulcerative colitis is not easy but better than cancer. Good luck with your future. You are way too young to go through this kind of scare. Live your life and be well!

k

T

Ha! I don’t know how I got this post up... found myself on a random page and read this. Refreshed by date and now I’m in the right place. Lol

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    Sorry I responded before I

Sorry I responded before I noticed it was old 

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Hi UW_2007

I was dxed with stage 3c colon cancer at age 48. I have survived for 21 years so far. My brother was dxed at age 35 with ulcerative colitis and proctitis. He is now 75.  He has been lucky insomuch as he has been able to take sulfasalazine non stop throughout his life. He has had to resort to prednisone enemas and prednisone tablets during his rare bad flares. About three years ago he suffered a bad flare of the proctitis (just ulcerative colitis but much further down the GI tract) . He has had a scope almost every year since diagnosis.  It has been a toss up as to which of us has had the toughest struggle with health problems. I had a clean scope two months agobut the scope prior to that I had four polyps to 12mm. The  serious flare in his proctitis which resulted in a prolapse. They had to surgically rebuild his sigmoid colon and anus. Ulcerative coloits is probably one of the most serious of the inflammatory bowel diseases. It cannot be taken lightly and I strongly suggest you join an ulcerative colitis support group. You will find that what you eat can help or hinder , thats where the support group helps. Wishing you a successful treatment , Ron.

• Trubrit
    JanJan63 said:

Good luck!!

Jan

Cookies and Juice - wow!

I want my next one up there. 

I get a bottle of water. 

Tru

• Annabelle41415

Cookies

Cookies and juice?  They never offer me anything.  I feel gyped!  (Just joking, or course, I am always happy to get out of the place and on my way home.  I always bring a snack with me to eat when the procedure is over).

Cookies and Juice

I've always gotten cookies and juice and they let me pick from a variety of cookies and several juices.  They will even give some to my husband while he is waiting, plus they ask me if we want a couple to take home.  They got some good stuff that's for sure.

Kim