FoundationOne

Has anyone had this test?

I just recently signed a release for my 2 yr old lab specimens to be tested. I didn’t know I had lab specimens available.

My regular onc is out of the office for a while.  The new one suggested I get the test since I’ve been on different treatments and nothing seems to be slowing down the growth in my liver & lungs. Recently, I was on Lonsurf for 3 rounds & spots grew.

Comments

• Butt
    Butt Member Posts: 352 Member

I thought in the US They do Foundation 1 report right away before the treatment starts. Yes, your tumor is stored. They can always access it and play with it. Butt.

• KM2Illinois
    KM2Illinois Member Posts: 11
    Butt said:

I thought in the US They do Foundation 1 report right away before the treatment starts. Yes, your tumor is stored. They can always access it and play with it. Butt.

Insurance

I assume it varies. Not all insurance covers it. My insurance doesn’t cover the $5800+ cost.

• Butt

They never asked my insurance and just sent it there. The insurance covered it but while pending Foundation one sent me a letter about some negotiation with insurance if the insurance protested.

• Butt

Are you saying they were pouring chemo in you without knowing status/mutations of the tumor? 

• KM2Illinois
    Butt said:

Are you saying they were pouring chemo in you without knowing status/mutations of the tumor? 

I suspect so. But I think

I suspect so. But I think there was a small test run intiallly.

The nurse said “they” were starting to do the FoundationOne test with everyone.

I also filled out a financial aid sheet from FoundationOne.

I think I read that Medicare eligible folks were covered. (I’m not old enough. )

• Butt

I suspect so. But I think

I suspect so. But I think there was a small test run intiallly.

The nurse said “they” were starting to do the FoundationOne test with everyone.

I also filled out a financial aid sheet from FoundationOne.

I think I read that Medicare eligible folks were covered. (I’m not old enough. )

i have BCBS and they covered it.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited July 2019 #8
    Butt said:

Tumor

Mine was never stored so I'm sure it really depends on your insurance company.  Mine was BCBS at the time and on a very limited plan and after my 10,000 deductible I'm sure that wasn't one thing that they were going to do for free.

Kim

• Joan M
    Joan M Member Posts: 409 Member
    I had the TEMPUS test done

It checks for over 5600 genetic markers.  I had two separate surgical procedures done for biopsies this year and there were not enough cancer cells in either sample  to run the test, even though the surgeon at Mayo clinic brought in a research technician to make sure we had a good sample on the second biopsy.  Mayo clinic sent in a biopsy from my colon surgery that was done last year. 

I just got the results back, they found 6 geetic mutations, but I am not eligible for any targeted therapies at this time. 

Good luck to you!  Hope you can get on something that will help you.

Joan 

• KM2Illinois
    Joan M said:

I had the TEMPUS test done

It checks for over 5600 genetic markers.  I had two separate surgical procedures done for biopsies this year and there were not enough cancer cells in either sample  to run the test, even though the surgeon at Mayo clinic brought in a research technician to make sure we had a good sample on the second biopsy.  Mayo clinic sent in a biopsy from my colon surgery that was done last year. 

I just got the results back, they found 6 geetic mutations, but I am not eligible for any targeted therapies at this time. 

Good luck to you!  Hope you can get on something that will help you.

Joan 

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Thanks for well wishes.