No hat, no wig, no problem??

Ribbons
Ribbons Member Posts: 150 Member

My hair has come back to the point that I am almost brave enough to go out with no wig. This is great! However, there are people I see that don't realize I have been wearing a wig, don't know I had chemo and all that. One lady even said she liked my new haircut, I didn't tell her it was a wig LOL. So how do I go out with my super short hair and explain it to these people, and not have a big discussion about it? I know this seems like a frivolous thing, but I am so self conscious about it still.

Comments

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    Ribbons, i had those same

Ribbons, i had those same concerns. My daughter who was about 10 worried about what she would say too. I did hear a couple stupid things from people with the change. I told the people i was closest to and already new i had a wig that i was taking it off. Most people gave me compliments. And when people asked if i cut my hair that didnt know i had cancer i just said yep and if they said my hair cut is cute i just said thanks. Your not alone in having these feelings and dont be hard on yourself for your feelings.

Congrates on the upcoming change.

• Ribbons
    janaes said:

Ribbons, i had those same

Ribbons, i had those same concerns. My daughter who was about 10 worried about what she would say too. I did hear a couple stupid things from people with the change. I told the people i was closest to and already new i had a wig that i was taking it off. Most people gave me compliments. And when people asked if i cut my hair that didnt know i had cancer i just said yep and if they said my hair cut is cute i just said thanks. Your not alone in having these feelings and dont be hard on yourself for your feelings.

Congrates on the upcoming change.

Thank you

i appreciate your answer, I just need to do it!

• jan9wils
    jan9wils Member Posts: 202 Member
    new hair

I loved it when I could ditch my wig. I had so many people compliment me on my cute super short hair. First Graders are brutally honest. One of them asked me why I had a boy hair cut and I said I liked his so much I decided to get mine done like his. He smiled so big!

• Armywife
    Armywife Member Posts: 451 Member
    This was me last year!

Exactly in June last year, I made the plunge.  I had worn my wig to pieces, and my daughter wanted to go to the beach.  She was really not into seeing me without the wig, but I knew I couldn't wear it in the sand and seabreeze and ocean, so I wore a ballcap, and then after that day, I just never put the wig back on.  I got so many compliments on my "summer hair!"  Living in south Texas, it felt divine, and though it's shoulder length again now, I'm thinking of getting it cut short again!  Go for it, girl - wear some statement earrings and a big smile!  If someone comments, just tell them you like it short in the summer!

• Quilter_1
    Quilter_1 Member Posts: 117 Member
    I’m close to the point of

I’m close to the point of ditching my wig.  My hair is about an inch long, and, it’s pretty gray.  My wig is very close to the color of my previously dyed dark brown hair,  my hair is not ready to be dyed my.....yet.  So when I do ditch my wig, not only will my hair be realily short, it will also a very different color.  But, as soon as I can “style“ it somewhat (its currently laying in crazy directions), the wig is going.  Any thoughts, input or insight?

• janaes
    I remember going through a

I remember going through a time when i was deciding to get rid of my wig. My hair came in grey too and i just couldnt live with that being in my 40's. So i colored my hair brown. That was the day i ditched it.  I colored it and said goodbye that night. 

• Quilter_1
    Quilter_1 Member Posts: 117 Member
    janaes said:

I remember going through a

I remember going through a time when i was deciding to get rid of my wig. My hair came in grey too and i just couldnt live with that being in my 40's. So i colored my hair brown. That was the day i ditched it.  I colored it and said goodbye that night. 

How long was your hair when

How long was your hair when you colored it?  In it’s longest areas, my hair is just a bit over an inch long, in other areas it is much shorter.  I’m probably at least a month away from getting rid of my wig, in reality.  We first noticed hair coming in April 9, so it’s only been growing about 2 months.  I’m not very patient.

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    Quilter_1 said:

How long was your hair when you colored it?  In it’s longest areas, my hair is just a bit over an inch long, in other areas it is much shorter.  I’m probably at least a month away from getting rid of my wig, in reality.  We first noticed hair coming in April 9, so it’s only been growing about 2 months.  I’m not very patient.

You may want to get a trim even if it seems too short

i did at about 3 months and it got rid of the newly grown baby chicken fuzz and the uneven lengths from where my old hair didn't all fall out ( on the advice of the wig fitter I went to, I never shaved my head).

a woman in my book club came without her scarf last week. She looked sensational with her gray crop and dangly earrings. I didn't know her "before" but loved the after". Super short hair always brings out the eyes. So have a go at something totally different before returning to the old you. I never went back and tell people chemo gave me a new look I'd never dreamed of trying. I use a little styling goo and that's it. My hairdryer is reserved for the dog. 

• janaes
    edited June 2019 #10
    Quilter_1 said:

I cant remember exactly how

I cant remember exactly how long my hair was.  I think it was a bit longer than an inch. My hair came back curly and i remember putting gel in my hair when i wore it. It was time i knew it. But as i said before it was a process. I believe you will know when its right for you.

• Armywife
    Quilter_1 said:

Coloring Timeline

Mine was about 2 inches long when I got it colored.  It came in soft as silk, but white and gray.  When I colored it, it lost the silkiness and returned to its usual coarse texture.  A year later, I've had it cut several times and colored again.  It's now shoulder length!

• Ribbons
    I did it!!

I went to town yesterday with no wig! I also posted on my facebook page about it, and everyone has been so positive. Four months from last chemo and my hair is a good 2" long and kind of curly. So I am done with that wig! I feel so free. LOL

• LisaPizza
    LisaPizza Member Posts: 358 Member
    Ribbons said:

I did it!!

I went to town yesterday with no wig! I also posted on my facebook page about it, and everyone has been so positive. Four months from last chemo and my hair is a good 2" long and kind of curly. So I am done with that wig! I feel so free. LOL

Awesome!

Awesome!

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    Yes,

awesome

• janaes
    That is so cool. Enjoy your

That is so cool. Enjoy your new look.

• Armywife
    Ribbons said:

I did it!!

Way to go!

It's a wonderful free feeling!